Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Eclipse 1998 RS, 2.0 Liter DOHC Problems*

Quote Originally Posted by DivXerouS
    YOOOOO I have the exact same thing as you. Shakin and all....I actually went to the dealership and asked em and all, and the bastard salesman really pissed me off...he said of it's gonna be 75$ for the check up...WTF 75$...and then he laughs and says you know plus tax so it'll come out to 85$...at that point I just got pissed off cuz they were chagin soo fukin much...BUT Im plannin to sell the car and maybe get a better one. I really really love this car, the shape and everything, but sellin it for about 6K, maybe add 2 more K and get another good fast car.

I was thinking about getting an Acura, not an Integra, but maybe a GSX or something like that...you guys wanna recommend some good hot and fast cars I can probably get for maybe 8K....

Maybe Nissan, Toyota, Acura, Honda (No Civics or Accords please)

Anyone of those companys.
    8K? You could find a pretty nice Z28 for that.

Honestly I don't want another Mitsubishi....maybe an Acura...I saw An Acura RSX and love the car...are those fast...you guys gotta specify a little bit more about the cars...model company type features, etc.

/me laffs.....an RSX bein fast.....depends if you get the expensive version, and even that 1 can be slow.

you could get an older camaro and put a 350 engine on it for about $8g's or less.
    or a ~95 240sx with an rb25det and it'll be about $8'gs also, either could yield 300hp with few mods(the 350 can do a lot more though)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Well I didn't know this, but I was putting the cheapest gas in my car which was fukin up my car...so I used up all the cheap gas, and put in the Chevron With Techron the second best gas, then I also bougght a Prestone Fuel System cleaner. Amazingly enough, the car is starting to get it's jump back and the pickup SEEMS to be returning, but not completely their.

I alos noticed another weird thing that the RPM needle doesn't seem to stay still, it moves up and down very little though, but the car isn't even moving so what the hell is going on.

"95 240sx with an rb25det" ? what the hell...I don't know what that is.

I am right now debating as to whether or not to sell my baby...because I was planning to save up maybe about 5K and get the car completely modified...maybe get a turbo, NOS, tires 17" rims, body kit, intake system etc....

You guys got any ideas as to how much the total cost could be for all this.

I actually got a good deal for Kumho tires, 55$ for one 17"...

Im starting to fall in love with my car after my friend showed me WHAT I can actually DO with an Eclipse after going on CarDomain.com, so Im really debating as to whether or not to sell my car....

Guys please help me decide.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/425615
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/199731
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/306086
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/261350/3
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/333846/1
    Last edited by DivXerouS; 09-25-2004 at 12:53 AM.

it had the most incredible burst of speed I had seen in a car would literally hit 60 in 5 seconds
    theres no way a 98 RS would get to 60 in 5 seconds, their really not that fast...

I noticed that the cars pickup had started to deteriorate, it would lack in response time, and seem to be losing it's burst.
    you mentioned something about gas, where do you normaly get gas. if your filling up at a station that regularly has bad gas then your car WILL run like crap, i had a friend that filled up his work trusk with 87 octane, it would die after running for a few minutes, he drained the tank and let the gas sit ans seperate, he said about 30% of it was water...

but since the car is built to race
    ha...

get a compression check. top off all vital fluids. and just to be sure, there is NOTHING done to the engine as far as aftermarket parts go, correct? it is difficult to diagnose an engine problem like this over the internet in text. most problems are found by process of elimination. check this, if its good check this, if its good check this... and so on. your best bet would be to find a competent mechanic or shell out the $75 to have the dealer take a look.

as far as a car that is faster, there are plentey for under $8000. if you want a fast car a 98 eclipse RS isnt a very good platform anyways. if you want to go imports, look at a 1st generation eclipse or talon GST/TSi, GSX/TSi awd they are very fast cars, they have the 4g63 6 bolt motors(strongest of that particular motor type) and can be made into very fast sleepers fairly cheap, price- about $2000 give or take. leaves plenty of money for mods. a 1g gsx with $6k in it will be a very fast car.
    a 2nd gen RX-7 (FC) would also be a nice car to begin with, rwd, turbo (if you get a turboII), very good chassis. can be made into a competent handler also. price- about $2-3000 and with the rest put into mods you'll have a competent track car/autoXer

other good cars to start modifying for cheap would be the 240sx, MkIII supra, miata, etc. these are also rwd, and would be at or below your stated $8k price mark. some leaving room for mods

P.S. there are several domestic platforms that will give you more bang for your buck as far as power than any of the above cars, i can start listing them also but you dont seem like the type that would be interested...
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

do some research on it, there's some in that cardomain site. its a nissan 240sx with a 6 cylinder turbocharged engine, you can get that engine for like $3k depending on company and shipping. that 1 engine can hold up to 500hp(or more) without having to change internal parts(pistons, con rods, crank, etc.)
    that 1 engine usually comes from the RWD version of the skyline.

as for makin a 98 RS go fast, specially automatic, it wouldn't be such good investment. it would be better though, if it was manual and if it was with the 4G63 engine as that 1 is better than the 420a engine.

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

Well I didn't know this, but I was putting the cheapest gas in my car which was fukin up my car...so I used up all the cheap gas, and put in the Chevron With Techron the second best gas, then I also bougght a Prestone Fuel System cleaner. Amazingly enough, the car is starting to get it's jump back and the pickup SEEMS to be returning, but not completely their.

I alos noticed another weird thing that the RPM needle doesn't seem to stay still, it moves up and down very little though, but the car isn't even moving so what the hell is going on.

I am right now debating as to whether or not to sell my baby...because I was planning to save up maybe about 5K and get the car completely modified...maybe get a turbo, NOS, tires 17" rims, body kit, intake system etc....
    Please dont turnout to be a ricer... For all those mods to be bought and properly installed you could easily get a faster car that is also more dependable.
    You guys got any ideas as to how much the total cost could be for all this.

I actually got a good deal for Kumho tires, 55$ for one 17"...

Im starting to fall in love with my car after my friend showed me WHAT I can actually DO with an Eclipse after going on CarDomain.com, so Im really debating as to whether or not to sell my car....

Guys please help me decide.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/425615
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/199731
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/306086
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/261350/3
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/333846/1
    The links dont work.
    FWD isnt the best setup for racing, especially drag. IMO, if you want to stick with the eclipse, get a GSX, they have AWD and a turbo. (BTW the GSXs 0-60 time is 6.5 seconds, so your not doing 5...) Or for the same price your could get a nice Camaro Z28 or Trans AM (0-60 in 5 seconds, quartermile in mid 13s STOCK) Before you blow that off, seriously look for a nice one and go test drive it, you will be amazed at what you have been missing out on.
    Here
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=362
    Good, deal, except its purple... Just an example though.
    Other good examples
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=508
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=464
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=479
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=797
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=513
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=370

And that just took me 5 minutes. And with 5K(if even that much) more dropped into it you could easily be in the low 12s in the quarter mile, and be getting the same gasmilage, and not using forced induciton.
    Last edited by Slicks; 09-25-2004 at 09:05 AM.

you mentioned something about gas, where do you normaly get gas. if your filling up at a station that regularly has bad gas then your car WILL run like crap, i had a friend that filled up his work trusk with 87 octane, it would die after running for a few minutes, he drained the tank and let the gas sit ans seperate, he said about 30% of it was water...

Yeaa that seemed to be the problem....I was using Regular Unleaded from Hess and someone told me that shit is cornstarch, so I burned off all the gas all the way to empty and then put in the Medium one, from Chevron with techron, using a Prestone Fuel System Cleaner the car started getting a little bit better.

it had the most incredible burst of speed I had seen in a car would literally hit 60 in 5 seconds
    I was exxagerating, but you get my point.

as for makin a 98 RS go fast, specially automatic, it wouldn't be such good investment. it would be better though, if it was manual and if it was with the 4G63 engine as that 1 is better than the 420a engine.
    In comparison, I would rather have a Nissan rather than an Eclipse. No Camaro's I don't like the look of that car.

do some research on it, there's some in that cardomain site. its a nissan 240sx with a 6 cylinder turbocharged engine, you can get that engine for like $3k depending on company and shipping. that 1 engine can hold up to 500hp(or more) without having to change internal parts(pistons, con rods, crank, etc.)
    that 1 engine usually comes from the RWD version of the skyline.
    I like the sound of that one...Already started my research, thanks for that info.

other good cars to start modifying for cheap would be the 240sx, MkIII supra, miata, etc. these are also rwd, and would be at or below your stated $8k price mark. some leaving room for mods

P.S. there are several domestic platforms that will give you more bang for your buck as far as power than any of the above cars, i can start listing them also but you dont seem like the type that would be interested...

Hell yeaa Im interested...list em man.

I really would like to thank you guys for clearing up alot of the misconceptions...., Im planning to get a tuneup, air filter changed, new sparkplugs, maybe that could help the car, and yes I will sell the bitch.

In comparison, I would rather have a Nissan rather than an Eclipse. No Camaro's I don't like the look of that car.
    Thats fine, your opinon, but do me a personal favor test drive one, it will change your mind...
    Tell me what dont you like about the looks though?

I personally prefer the looks of the T/A to the Camaro

I know its a powerful car and all, but it just doesn't scream that Im a race car look, you know what I mean.

I was looking around for the Nissan 1995 240 SX on cardomain.com, and saw a car that amazingly had about 450HP...yes that is right according to what the owner had wrote, he also wrote that it is very POSSIBLE to squeeze about 700HP out of the car with afew more modifications..

I would like to know if he's lying or is it possible, if so HOW in the HELL ?

here is the link

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/487552

if it doesn't work...just go to the site, and it should be on the third page for the 1995 model. It's a white car.
    Last edited by DivXerouS; 09-25-2004 at 02:06 PM.

oh man those 2 cars are UGLY!!!!!!!!
    J/K.
    my cousin owns 1 of those with 100hp shot of nitrous, car runs quite fast and it sounds.

you can, but you need to swap the engine.
    the stock KA24DE engine that comes with the US version of the 240sx can only make 200hp N/A(unless fully race setup), with turbo and forged internals it can do 400hp to the wheels with a good tune(to probably 500). now....if you change it to say a SR20DET(popular swap) you can get 300 to maybe some more with few mods(turbo, injectors, etc). if you change to an RB20, 25, or 26DET(T) you can get 400hp on stock internals, up of 500 to probably 700hp with the 26DET, around 500hp for the 25DET.(or if you wanna go with the 30E and put a 26DETT head, thats another option). if you get fully forged internals on the 25-26DET's you can get more 700hp.(you can do it on stock internals for the 26 but it would be better to go with better resistant parts.)

EDIT: now that i see the site. he kind of lies on some places, the stock turbo will only do up to 10PSI and then its out of its efficiency. but sure you can upgrade it to a more powerfull 1 and make more hp.
    you don't need to do any custom fab to either of the engines, McKinney Motorsports sells motor mounts for both the 25DET and 26DETT, they also got a downpipe for both, and most of the engines companies sell come with the rb25 tranny and not the rb26 AWD tranny. rest is ok.

here Mckinney Motorsports <<for parts and engine(tho there's a lot of other importers)
    NICO FORUMS <<good forum to ask questions and look at other ppl's swaps.
    Last edited by TheOne; 09-25-2004 at 02:24 PM.

I know its a powerful car and all, but it just doesn't scream that Im a race car look, you know what I mean.
    No, not really, i mean a 240SX and an Eclipse look like economy cars next to these things. By "race car look" do you mean rice, like fast and the furious?
    I was looking around for the Nissan 1995 240 SX on cardomain.com, and saw a car that amazingly had about 450HP...yes that is right according to what the owner had wrote, he also wrote that it is very POSSIBLE to squeeze about 700HP out of the car with afew more modifications..

I would like to know if he's lying or is it possible, if so HOW in the HELL ?
    Just for reference stock a Z28 and Trans AM(LS1) have 320+HP and 360ft-lbs of torque, with simple mods like better intake, headers, exhaust, cam, and things like that it will pull 450hp with no problem, and even more torque.

And how does this look "like a race car"

And this does not?

Yes fast and the furious type...THAT is not hooked up, I mean when you put a body kit on a car or on that Nissan, it just screams to be raced..I saw some hot ass Nissan's 240SX's...I bet...how bout we look at some pictures and decide then.

Try going on this website and see IF your Camaro looks better or this Nissan.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583011

Also anyone wanna elaborate a little bit on this engine swap thing, cuz I don't know how that works, IF also I DO plan to do an engine swap...I mean where would I find one ? and If I do, wouldn't it be expensive as hell ?
    Last edited by DivXerouS; 09-25-2004 at 05:51 PM.

Looks like another person has fallen victim to F&F... Well, whatever you decide to go with, it looks like you'll be shopping at APC .

Oh, I'd take that Camaro SS, bone-stock, before I was seen dead in that Wings West-wanna-be, carbon-fiber-4-da-look, Boeing-style winged, Nawz-sprayin' 240. But, hey, if you wanna be Jay-Dee-Em, more power to you.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

believe me, everyone will say get a camaro over a "ricer" import. but after doin a swap and a few mods and gettin 400hp for less than a whole camaro, then they see WOW that car is fast.
    tho goin with stickers is really no good.
    there's many places to get the engine from Divxerous, some are good, some take time, and some are bad. the site i posted on my last post is a good place where to get the stuff from. http://www.heavythrottle.com/ <<is another 1 of them good sites where you can get the engine(tho ya gotta call'em for info as they don't have it on their site)
    hit me on aim if ya wanna know more. Jarek1us <<.

Thread Information