Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exotic/Supercars versus more mainstream cars

Exotic/Supercars versus more mainstream cars

It has been interesting to watch the gap between what exotic cars or supercars can do versus more mainstream cars. Decades ago it seemed like exotic cars were hard to match as far as performance. Top Gear did a fun test of having a Lambo vs a EVO. This was a special edition of the EVO, but it seemed the EVO was a good match and maybe better then Lambo.

If you look at the performance numbers higher volume mainstream cars like the Subaru WRX Sti, Corvette C6 (upcoming Z06), and others are posting in factory stock trim, it makes many super cars seem less super. Then if you factor in how much performance some people get by sinking another ten to thirty thousand dollars into their cars, they really make some super cars seem not so super.

I value hand made cars and niche market cars, but I am impressed with some of the performance numbers being posted by cars sold by the large manufacturers. No large manufacture has a McLaren F-1 level car for under 70,000 dollars, but it is impressive what you can get these days.

Just curious what others thought of the way the performance gap seems to be shrinking between more mainstream cars and super cars.

Interesting point. Lambo is definitely not on the top tier of supercars, but its still amazing what the evo and other cars are doing. The engine technology is making the gaps smaller and smaller, because supercars are approaching the limits of controllable power (without aids) and its dangerous to increase it much more. One advantage supercars will always have is that they can be lower, wider, and more aerodynamic than car like the evo/wrx/corvette which must also remain comfortable in order to sell in volume.

exotic cars will always be exotic cars, thats what you pay to drive. But cars like the evo are mainstream wonders that will give almost anything a run for its money. Take the Vauxhall monaro VX-R for example. under 40 grand for a 400hp masterpeice that will give you the thrill of your life without ruining it by taking all your cash. But these cars arent Pagani Zonda's, there will always be different leagues. But these days you dont necessarily pay for power, you pay for luxury, elegance and sophistication. A lamborghini might not beat an Evo Fq-400 easily. But its a lamborghini, and its 150 grand dearer for a reason. Thats how it will always be.

Quote Originally Posted by piston_burner
    It has been interesting to watch the gap between what exotic cars or supercars can do versus more mainstream cars. Decades ago it seemed like exotic cars were hard to match as far as performance. Top Gear did a fun test of having a Lambo vs a EVO. This was a special edition of the EVO, but it seemed the EVO was a good match and maybe better then Lambo.

If you look at the performance numbers higher volume mainstream cars like the Subaru WRX Sti, Corvette C6 (upcoming Z06), and others are posting in factory stock trim, it makes many super cars seem less super. Then if you factor in how much performance some people get by sinking another ten to thirty thousand dollars into their cars, they really make some super cars seem not so super.

I value hand made cars and niche market cars, but I am impressed with some of the performance numbers being posted by cars sold by the large manufacturers. No large manufacture has a McLaren F-1 level car for under 70,000 dollars, but it is impressive what you can get these days.

Just curious what others thought of the way the performance gap seems to be shrinking between more mainstream cars and super cars.
    It's amazing how you don't HAVE to spend $100,000.00 + anymore for performance of that level. One big draw back to the Evo you mention (FQ 400) is that when the RPMs drop and the turbo isn't spining at full tilt, the turbo lag on it is pathetic to say the least. In the very show you mention, the Evo drag raced an estate and lost!! It took for ever for the turbo to do it's job.

One advantage the Lambo has it that it'll accelarate like mad from any RPM. Not to mention the looks you'll get going down the street. And if you take it to a track, your top speed will more than justify the price.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Interesting point. Lambo is definitely not on the top tier of supercars, but its still amazing what the evo and other cars are doing. The engine technology is making the gaps smaller and smaller, because supercars are approaching the limits of controllable power (without aids) and its dangerous to increase it much more. One advantage supercars will always have is that they can be lower, wider, and more aerodynamic than car like the evo/wrx/corvette which must also remain comfortable in order to sell in volume.
    Because Lamborghini seems to have gone the route of just making an exotic supercar. That's it.
    To them, they seem to be content with just making a supercar that gives you what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz
    In the very show you mention, the Evo drag raced an estate and lost!! It took for ever for the turbo to do it's job.
    Did they do a roll on from 30Kph in 5th gear or something?
    I've seen tests that get that thing to 100Kph in the 3.5-3.7 second mark.
    Of course a little 2.L with such power is going to have lag, but there is such a thing a selecting the right gear..
    Besides, numerous people are tuning their 4G63's higher than 400hp.
    Look at norris designs in the UK..and RC developments.

One advantage the Lambo has it that it'll accelarate like mad from any RPM. Not to mention the looks you'll get going down the street. And if you take it to a track, your top speed will more than justify the price.
    Agreed, they make a hell of a car, the lambo entry in this yeras Targa Tasmania would have won if he didn't crash out near the end. (the R34 GTR won)

There have ALWAYS been cars capable of reaching supercar performance over the decades.

BUT our modern obsession with the supercar "image" has made it more obvious than in the past.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    It's amazing how you don't HAVE to spend $100,000.00 + anymore for performance of that level. One big draw back to the Evo you mention (FQ 400) is that when the RPMs drop and the turbo isn't spining at full tilt, the turbo lag on it is pathetic to say the least. In the very show you mention, the Evo drag raced an estate and lost!! It took for ever for the turbo to do it's job.

The money you save by buying the cheaper 'Evo' you can spend an extra grand or two by getting the ECU remapped to your driving style and i am sure that should cancel out some of the lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    The money you save by buying the cheaper 'Evo' you can spend an extra grand or two by getting the ECU remapped to your driving style and i am sure that should cancel out some of the lag.
    NO LAG WHEN U DONT SET OFF IN 6TH GEAR WHICH NOBODY IS STUPID ENOUGH TO DO. ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT THE EVO FQ-400 DOES 0-60 IN 3.9 SECONDS!? i hate it when people think top gear is the god of all car knowledge

I may not agree with the oversized print, but I agree with the idea that Top Gear is not the god of all car knowledge. I think it is bad to let one media source be the only thing that guides your views. I brought up Top Gear because it was an example of something I had been seeing in many places. I think Top Gear is a good source, but there opinions are just one of many I look for when developing my views of vehicle. The show has good charisma.
    Last edited by piston_burner; 08-10-2005 at 11:24 PM.

What REALLY amazes me is how often Top Gear typical humourous style of taking a "dig" is then converted into FACT as if there was no other option
    They even explained what it was they were doing.
    I call it "fanboy-traitism", it's where they only hear the bits they want to hear, avoid the bits they dont and cant think about it intelligently
    I hate to break it to all who think that TG is only factual and NO opinion and who cant cope with British humour that it is a TV show targetted at a (semi)intelligent audience
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

what's the difference between Vesace and Country Road? they both make cloth, slightly different designs, but they all cloth. how many different variaty can a man's jacket be? and the point of justify paying 10 times more for vesace is? image, label, money = power.

same with cars. just the name Lamborghini should justify your rightful place on the road. you can turbo charge any shit box and crank out big horsepower, that doesn't matter, what it matter is that the one can afford something others can only dream about, its a status, a fashion statment, an expression of personal acheivement.

its no longer just about speed, suprised that some car lovers here still don't get that point
    '67 Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
    '06 Honda Accord

So now we don't have to be drug-lords to afford Fast cars??
    YYYYYiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee e!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    NO LAG WHEN U DONT SET OFF IN 6TH GEAR WHICH NOBODY IS STUPID ENOUGH TO DO. ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT THE EVO FQ-400 DOES 0-60 IN 3.9 SECONDS!? i hate it when people think top gear is the god of all car knowledge
    When did I say Top Gear is the god of all car knowledge?? That's UCP's role in the world!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I thought the point of the "race" was to show that the FQ-400 is only fast when you can rev its balls off.

Thread Information