Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to...Austria?!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

Moving to...Austria?!?

Well, the wifey and I have been toying with the idea of moving to Austria to the extent that I have actually started looking into it. I am gaining a fair idea of some of the processes involved. IIRC, there's no Austrians here, but has anyone had any experience with it? Is it difficult? How about finding a job? Of course, I'd leave all the cars behind but the Mustang, I am having trouble finding what exactly would need to be modified in order for her to be legal over there, though. Any tips? Resources?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

what a change, and most importantly why and why Austria specifically? Do you speak any German? Not to discourage you, but some more background info might be required to assess the feasibility of your considerations. First contact point would be the Austrian embassy in Washington, I suppose.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    what a change, and most importantly why and why Austria specifically? Do you speak any German? Not to discourage you, but some more background info might be required to assess the feasibility of your considerations. First contact point would be the Austrian embassy in Washington, I suppose.
    I do speak German, and I have family there (my Mom is from Austria and though she has lived in the States since 1972, she is still an Austrian citizen). Frankly, the European lifestyle appeals to us all the more as I see the US continue to fall apart. I honestly don't have much faith left in where my native country is headed, which 5 years ago would have been unthinkable to me, but seems more and more apparent. Also, with our little daughter and planning another one, the education and chance to raise kids over there begins to sound more and more appealing. Euro-crisis notwithstanding, it seems, at least on the surface, a more appealing proposition. We're travel nuts so the idea of being able to pop over to Amsterdam or Venice or Porto for a quick trip holds amazing appeal, let alone being near other such "exotic" places as Turkey, Morocco, etc. And of course I'd get to go to Goodwood Our other choices mostly consist of moving near the wife's family in upstate New York state or moving to Washington, DC (a place I dearly love). I have a 4-year university degree, so I can support myself, which is (rightly so) an area that's scrutinized. I'd just rather work to live, as opposed to being here where you live to work.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth mentioning where the idea first came from: I have been craving a connection with my Austrian roots. Having lived here my whole life, I am pretty thoroughly American and have connected to my native American roots as well, but with only brief visits to my family (the longest was a month), I have never had that kinship with that part of my own history to the same depth.
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.

OK, it seems like you already meet a lot of preconditions. Perhaps the best is to check what immigration arrangement/treaties there are between the USA and Austria. As far as I know Austria seems to be doing relativey well in the Euro crisis, with the economy not in such a bad shape, but I am not an expert on Austria.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I am sure job prospect has to do with what your field and education is too. Working in engineering for automotive sector in Michigan there are a lot of engineering consulting firms are Austrian/German firms(FEV, AVL...etc) with Michigan offices(and are hiring). So I am guessing they are probably doing pretty good in their native country also.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I am sure job prospect has to do with what your field and education is too. Working in engineering for automotive sector in Michigan there are a lot of engineering consulting firms are Austrian/German firms(FEV, AVL...etc) with Michigan offices(and are hiring). So I am guessing they are probably doing pretty good in their native country also.
    Mr. Stronach has an arm of Magna (Steyr) located in Austria.

You do anything with Magna at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Mr. Stronach has an arm of Magna (Steyr) located in Austria.

You do anything with Magna at all?
    Nope, though I did work for Magna in my internship year...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Does the Schengen Agreement mostly pertain to internal movement, or are there parts of it which deal with non-EU-member citizens as well? My understanding is that this is a pact within the EU?

Unfortunately I am not in engineering, which is what I'd pursue if I did it all over again...either civil or mechanical.
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-09-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Does the Schengen Agreement mostly pertain to internal movement, or are there parts of it which deal with non-EU-member citizens as well? My understanding is that this is a pact within the EU?

Unfortunately I am not in engineering, which is what I'd pursue if I did it all over again...either civil or mechanical.
    Schengen removes the internal border controls between the subscribing countries, so you can travel without interruption. The UK is not a member so they stop you at the border.
    And yes, engineers are in demand.....

Wow, that's a significant move.

Best of luck to you then, I have no idea how to immigrate.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    And yes, engineers are in demand.....

The only thing for US bachelor degree people is that I think we may well be under qualified over there. Not sure if its the norm over in EU but all the EU people I've run into typically have also education in their field beyond just 4 years bachelor level university education. I think talking to the TU Graz people at Formula SAE their basic degree program is 7 years....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The only thing for US bachelor degree people is that I think we may well be under qualified over there. Not sure if its the norm over in EU but all the EU people I've run into typically have also education in their field beyond just 4 years bachelor level university education. I think talking to the TU Graz people at Formula SAE their basic degree program is 7 years....
    Though you're the first one to voice it in all the resources I've seen, I have had the same concern. Most students over there at least are shunted to a vocational program and apprenticeship after their secondary schooling. Still, a command of English and German seems like it'd be a powerful tool, and a BS still beats the pathetic US high school diploma...(damn I sound like such a US-hater in this thread ). My best bet would likely be self-employment, esp. if I can get into rental real estate, a field my wife has had extensive experience in, and I have had a good grounding in so far (her parents left us in charge of their 7 rental properties). In the interim I'd have to get by in some mid-level jobs.

As mentioned earlier, another possibility is Rochester, NY, not only because her sisters and nephews/nieces live there, but also because it's a buyers' market for 5+ unit rental properties. Two properties there with 5 units each could provide a modest living, and if I have a job and pay them down, in 10-15 years we could practically retire with enough cash flow to travel...not lavishly, but that's not our style anyway.
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-09-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Though you're the first one to voice it in all the resources I've seen, I have had the same concern. Most students over there at least are shunted to a vocational program and apprenticeship after their secondary schooling. Still, a command of English and German seems like it'd be a powerful tool, and a BS still beats the pathetic US high school diploma...
    Maybe it's the people I've run into, but everyone that I know who are from their all have pretty good command of English language....English education is not lacking in Germany or Austria AFAIK, maybe in France where they are pretty snooty about it...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

^^^ That's OK, you only have to think on how to EMigrate.
    Love the English language
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^^ That's OK, you only have to think on how to EMigrate.
    Love the English language
    I didn't want to say it. So glad you did!

Thread Information