Thread: C/D: Porsche 911 GT3 (997) Preview

C/D: Porsche 911 GT3 (997) Preview

Preview of the 2007 911 GT3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Zoellter
    2007 Porsche 911 GT3

~It’s obvious from its mean demeanor that the 2007 911 GT3 is the street version of Porsche’s production-based racing cars, the GT3 Cup and the RSR. The front fascia features a deep air dam and an array of large cooling scoops. The body from the base Carrera barely covers the 305/30ZR-19 rear tires. (The front 235/35 tires are the same width as those on the base Carrera S.) And out back are twin exhaust tips centered under the bumper and a biplane rear wing that has an adjustable top element and a Gurney flap on its lower portion.
    ~Under the wilder skin, the GT3 benefits from a number of changes compared with the base Carrera and Carrera S. First, it uses dry-sump, separate-block-and-crankcase version of Porsche’s six-cylinder engine that’s shared with the racing cars and the Turbo. The 3.6-liter unit produces 415 horsepower at 7600 rpm, making it the most powerful naturally aspirated 911. With a redline of 8400 rpm, this is also the highest-revving powerplant in any street-legal 911. The maximum torque of 299 pound-feet is produced at 5500 rpm. Porsche credits the increased power over the old GT3 to better breathing, courtesy of a larger throttle body, optimized cylinder heads, and a low-back-pressue exhaust. The six-speed manual transmission has been revised, with shorter ratios from second through sixth, and snappier shift-lever throws.
    ~This is the first GT3 to use traction control and the Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system, featuring a street-friendly standard setting and a sport mode that’s effectively turned for track work. The anti-rolls bars are also adjustable. The GT3 has 13.8-inch-diameter brake rotors front and rear, 0.8 inch bigger than the Carrera S discs. The Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes, which are 44 pounds lighter than the standard steel units, are an expensive option.
    ~Porsche says the GT3 weighs the same as the base Carrera, or about 3250 pounds. That’s rougly 30 pounds more than the old 996-model GT3. Porject leader Andreas Preuninger explains why: “The more sophisticated engine, the larger brakes, and the bigger fuel tank – increased from 23.5 to 23.8 gallons – all add weight. We used aluminum for the doors and trunklid as well as plastic for the engine cover, and although they save 44 pounds, they cannot compensate for the overall weight gain.”
    ~Still, the upshot is that the new GT3 is even quicker than the old one. We estimate that the 0-to-60-mph time will be unchanged at 4.0 seconds, but the car should trim its quarter-mile time to 12 seconds flat (a 0.3-second improvement) as well as up its top speed to a claimed 193 mph (versus 190 mph). And all the while, the engine makes the most strident note in the 911 lineup, a deep roar that is transformed into a buzz-saw wail at the top of the rev range.
    ~The previous-generation GT3 was a fabulous car – if you drove it on super-smooth roads or on a racetrack. But as soon as you encountered broken pavement, the ride could become very uncomfortable. It was also a scary beast in the wet, when the combination of a stiff suspension, aggressive tires, and lack of traction control made it a handful. It is still tricky to drive in the wet, but that’s due to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires that were developed exclusively for the GT3. These grip rabidly in the dry but have the traction of a bar of soap when it rains. (Two cars were banged up by the press at the launch drive.) In the dry, however, PASM has made a big difference to the car’s usability. In sport mode, the GT3 is a great track car, but it’s softer and more comfortable in the standard setting, more akin to the Carrera S than the old GT3. The steering also helps here; now speed sensitive, it is much firmer and less nervous at higher speeds.
    ~The GT3 goes on sale in August, priced at $106,000. It might not be as powerful as the 911 Turbo, but it remains the choice for the hard-core 911 driver – and unless you encounter wet roads, it’s a lot more useable than the old GT3.
    ~Specifications~
    ~Vehicle Type:
    rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
    ~Base Price: $106,000
    ~Engine Type: DOHC 24-valve flat-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
    ~Displacement: 220 cu in, 3600 cc
    ~Power (SAE net): 415 bhp @ 7600 rpm
    ~Torque (SAE net): 299 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm
    --------------------------------------------------
    ~Transmission: 6-speed manual
    ~Wheelbase: 92.7 in
    ~Length/Width/Height: 174.3/71.2/50.4 in
    ~Curb Weight: 3250 lb
    Performance Ratings (C/D est):
    ~Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec.
    ~Zero to 100 mph: 8.7 sec.
    ~Standing 1/4th-Mile: 12.0 sec.
    ~Top Speed (drag limited): 193 mph
    Projected fuel economy (mfr's est):
    ~European urban cycle: 12 mpg
    ~Extra-urban cycle: 26 mpg
    ~Combined: 18 mpg

~Enjoy!
    Next Up: Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder Vs. Ferrari F430 Spider in "Exotic Dancers."
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

you know they had pics

These aren't the pics from the Magazine, but the latest from C/D's website.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Last few:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

why oh WHY did they have to bring back the aero kit spoiler?!?!

That's what I've been wondering.

Remember the last gen. GT3 changed spoilers, and I have no doubt this one will.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

they should have just carried over the spoiler from the last gen GT3's imo, no reason to bring this one back
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Love it

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    That's what I've been wondering.

Remember the last gen. GT3 changed spoilers, and I have no doubt this one will.
    well the first gen. 996 had this spoiler, although smoother, then changed to the current one, and i think they should've just updated that

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    because it looks great

i agree with niko. a stunning car
    Last edited by derekthetree; 04-29-2006 at 01:14 AM.
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Cause it's one of the best looking spoilers ever, duh
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

I don't mind the spoiler either. I have this car as my screensaver also.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 04-29-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    they should have just carried over the spoiler from the last gen GT3's imo, no reason to bring this one back
    I kind of like that spoiler. I think it gives the car more character, but that's just my opinion.

Wow,it looks amazing!

Thread Information