Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MPG Differences (USA and UK)

Sorry if I came across a bit strong. I think I'm as pro US as the next guy is. You never quite know with web forums if people are simply ribbing or if they really mean it. Either way, having traveled over quite a bit of the world I can say with some confidence that I think the US does some things better and other things not as well. Really, the conclusion that no country is perfect shouldn't come as a great surprise to anyone. I see this a lot when people start criticizing "large" American engines vs European motors without regard for the market they are in or the equally large motors that the other guys sell in the US. Perhaps I was overly sensitive.
    Either way, I stand by the assertion that it is easier to tell people how they should behave from a far and it's equally easy to overlook many of the reasons things may not be as strait forward as they seem.
    Certainly, switching the US road system over to the metric system would be very costly and provide little real benefit. Switching the US engineering and science community has in large part already happened. In this regard we have already gone metric when it comes time to sell products to other markets or when we talk about technology.

Also, the last big metric push in the US was in the 1970's however, I believe it was actually adopted but never implemented some time shortly after the US was founded in the late 1700s.

While the Imperial Gallon is larger than the US gallon, I think (could be wrong) that the Euro horse is actually the same number of KW as the American horse. The difference was the test conditions. Small changes in atmospheric correction factors and the like thus the Euro horse is slightly less powerful than a US horse. It allowed MB to claim they had the most powerful NA V8 at some 510hp. However, when the GM LS7 was converted to Euro ponies it rose from 505 to 512 (I think). So MB might have spoken too soon.

Anyway, sorry if I was overly sensitive.

So do the people on the continent harass England because they still use MPH?

Quote Originally Posted by culver
    Yeah, and because those crazy bastards drive on the wrong side of the road!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

While the Imperial Gallon is larger than the US gallon, I think (could be wrong) that the Euro horse is actually the same number of KW as the American horse.
    Oh, Horespower...

1 international horsepower = 745.69 Watts
    1 electric horsepower = 746 Watts
    1 "metric" horsepower* = 735.49 Watts
    1 marine horsepower = 746.04 Watts

"International"/ metric hp is the power required to lift 550lb 1 foot in 1 second.
    Electric horsepower is used because using 745.69 is a bit of a pain.
    "Metric" hp is the power required to lift 75kg 1 meter in 1 second. (Also known as "PS" or Pferdestärke in Germany, and CV or Cheval Vapeur in France).
    Marine horsepower is ???

So do the people on the continent harass England* because they still use MPH?
    Not really.

I think we should convert though:

"110 Kilometers per hour? Oh I am so terribly sorry officer..."

*In the spirit of being fiercely nationalistic:
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    Great Britain comprising England, Scotland and Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Only because you got beat by Napoleon, a midget left-handed Frenchman with an inferiorty complex...
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 01-01-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Only because you got beat by Napoleon, a midget left-handed Frenchman with an inferiorty complex...
    No we didn't, napoleon didn't even come close. We Finns would've drunk him under the table anyway.
    - Are YOU listed? -

No we didn't, napoleon didn't even come close.
    Ah, but you did, otherwise you'd be driving on the right...
    Thanks for all the fish

Does that mean he conquered Madagascar aswell since they drive on the right side of the road...? Nah, we weren't beaten, more like allies...
    - Are YOU listed? -

Sweden did the switch from RHD to LHD at 5am on 3rd Sep 1967 !!
    It was supposed to be for safety but within two years the accident figures were back on track

I always wondered what kind of hell it must have been THAT day on the roads

Iceland followed the next year - but as there are so few roads up there and Icelandics dont' really follow any rules except for "get out of the way of the faster car" then I'm not sure why !!!

So caompared to that changing a few speed limit signs isnt' the end of the world

IF the US switched to kilometers then you could put MORE junctions on a fixed distance. BTW, three things that are fantastic driving in the US is the numbering of junctions based on distance - makes it easy to add a junction, we get junctino 23a and 23b sh!t overe here Second is intersection lights going to amber in both directsion during the night. Third is turn right on red. I'e actively written to campaign for these over here.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by MeA
    Sweden did the switch from RHD to LHD at 5am on 3rd Sep 1967 !!
    It was supposed to be for safety but within two years the accident figures were back on track

I always wondered what kind of hell it must have been THAT day on the roads
    I have been told it is the only day in recent Sweedish history that there was no accidents.

This was appently due to that everyone was being extra dilligent as it well publisised. The next week however......
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Here's a quite famous pic of the H-Day in Sweden...

where there is a will...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Third is turn right on red. I'e actively written to campaign for these over here.
    you guys cant do that!
    HAHAHA
    We can all agree on some things.

back to the off-topic topic, as culver said, many of the sciences use metric with no problem. I dont really see a need for the whole contry to convert. most trained people can work in both units but usually "think" (visualize) in one. there is also no problem interms of sourcing metric supplies (bolts, rod ends, material, etc.). its true that most people will give you a funny look if you ask for 3 meters of steel, but its never a problem.
    Last edited by johnnyperl; 01-01-2006 at 06:47 PM.

of course , and miles too, it makes distances look so small in the UK and it the same time it makes you feel going very slow....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    you guys cant do that!
    HAHAHA
    In Holland there is good reason for that as bicycle paths run in parallel with main roads, and have their green light corresponding to the main road. If turning traffic would have way too, it would cause lots of accidents.

On busier streets the right turn is controlled with a separate light and a bicycle rider might be required to come to a stop, push a button on a small pole and wait till his light turns to green. (same as you see on pedestrian crossings)

My policy as a bike rider is that as long as car drivers don't have to stop and push a button, I will not do so either, and just use my eyes to see whether it is safe to continue. It normally takes ages before the light turns to green, and the other traffic then has to wait again too long to get moving again. My "against the law" attitude is in the interest of the free traffic flow and the environment
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I totally agree with you henk4, when cycling I aim to take traffic controls as directions, but not 100% rigid rules. If I can ride so that I hinder less other road users, or have a less hindered ride myself I will often do so as long as it causes no other danger.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    I totally agree with you henk4, when cycling I aim to take traffic controls as directions, but not 100% rigid rules. If I can ride so that I hinder less other road users, or have a less hindered ride myself I will often do so as long as it causes no other danger.
    you could even have said : "very general" directions

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Eh...I like metric because it makes sense (was taught exclusively using the metric system in grade and middle schools), but I like the current system too because...well, because I know it and am comfortable with it. So I can safely say I am totally ambivalent on this matter.

Waste of a post, isn't it
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information