Thread: 0-60 mph times are changing FAST!

0-60 mph times are changing FAST!

Cars and Coffee Talk:

Volvo in a a Zero to 60 mph list?? Wow, I was shocked!!
    Thanks, Joe

just having driven in California for about 10 days, I can confirm that the average American driver does a 0-20 in about ten seconds. so all these figures quoted here are purely academic.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    just having driven in California for about 10 days, I can confirm that the average American driver does a 0-20 in about ten seconds. so all these figures quoted here are purely academic.
    Never mind, that is also the time the average European driver does it as well.

And quite possibly with around 200bhp (depending on weight, of course) you've got more than enough performance you may objectively need.

Anything above that is pure indulgence.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    But indulgence is good in day-to-day driving I'd rather have torque, down low and accessible.

Track day is another story entirely...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Oh indeed, performance is satisfying.

If only it wasn't so expensive, you didn't get tickets and lost so many points...
    Visca Catalunya!

Its still quick for a daily driver Volvo!!
    Thanks, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Oh indeed, performance is satisfying.

If only it wasn't so expensive, you didn't get tickets and lost so many points...
    In the Puma which is getting rather quick last months I never get any fines (anymore). A traffic light sprint is just as much fun when you stick to the speed limit. If you drive 100 km/h, you can still make the sprint to 130 km/h for overtaking. Much cheaper and just as fun

Couple of weeks ago I won from a Q7 when I hit 70 km/h, the limit. He kept going and I couldnt help my big grin when he was pulled over at the next light

*I sound so old now....*

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post

*I sound so old now....*
    really? you sound very young
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    In the Puma which is getting rather quick last months I never get any fines (anymore). A traffic light sprint is just as much fun when you stick to the speed limit. If you drive 100 km/h, you can still make the sprint to 130 km/h for overtaking. Much cheaper and just as fun

Couple of weeks ago I won from a Q7 when I hit 70 km/h, the limit. He kept going and I couldnt help my big grin when he was pulled over at the next light

*I sound so old now....*
    Oh surely, as times passes driving becomes more relaxed. You may do speed/fast driving, but not as reckless as when you are younger.

Nevertheless, if you like cars and driving, going through the gears in a 380bhp F-Type S is still deeply satisfying, and by the time you have stopped having fun you have already lost your points, your license, you job, your friends, your wife... etc.

There is also a beneficial side effect to power, which is making getting rid of idiots in Astras going at a snail's pace much easier.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Power is definitely addictive. But look at the Miata: a car with less than stirring acceleration, it has become a legendary drivers' car.

Back to the original point, if you had told me mid size family sedans would be pushing into 5-second 0-60 times, and sportscars would have to shoot for sub-4 second times to keep up, I'd have said you're nuts.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Power is definitely addictive. But look at the Miata: a car with less than stirring acceleration, it has become a legendary drivers' car.
    I should know, I drive one.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 08-23-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

Back to the original point, if you had told me mid size family sedans would be pushing into 5-second 0-60 times, and sportscars would have to shoot for sub-4 second times to keep up, I'd have said you're nuts.
    Amen......just insane at the speeds!
    Thanks, Joe

Thread Information