Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Family of 4 From the 1870s Are Brought To the Year 2012...

A Family of 4 From the 1870s Are Brought To the Year 2012...

No, it did not happen (not that I know of). But this question should have some interesting answers.

Here is the outline: a family of four (father, mother, teenage son and teenage daughter) from the year 1870 are somehow brought to this year, 2012. I was going to say from the Old West but that would not apply to other countries. So you can make it any typical family from 1870 (I will pick a family from the Old West, though, because I like that history.)

The family members have a chance to ride in 3 cars together. Someone from this era driving; the people from the past as passengers. What three cars would you choose and why? You can post second choices or runners-up.

My choices:

1. 1974-'76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine. I've seen what was considered to be a "fancy" coach in the 1870s and sometimes wonder how people would react to a self-propelled, fully-enclosed, smooth-riding and luxurious limousine. Of course, with heating and A/C and power accessories. I picked a '74-76 Cadillac because they were at their biggest then and the rear seat could be ordered in crushed velour. Brocade was common in the earlier Cadillacs (although cloth, knit and leather could be ordered, too) and while brocade looks good and wears well, it's quite a bit firmer than the crushed velour. And I would want the "time-travelers" to experience a really comfortable ride.
    A second choice would be a stretch 1990s Lincoln Limousine. But they are so huge, it may scare those 19th century people!

2. Definitely a '60s/early-'70s muscle car. My top pick would be a '68 or '69 Dodge Charger R/T with 426-Hemi and 3.23 gears. It would have a stunning visual and mechanical impact. Many muscle car fans consider the '68/'69 Charger one of the best-looking muscle cars ever (and I agree) and the 19th century family would be in awe of its performance. That is one reason I would pick a 3.23 axle ratio... it could top 60 mph in 1st gear and 105 mph in 2nd gear and top out at about 150 mph. Back in 1870, a speed of 50 mph was considered fast! If for some reason a Charger was not available, then second choices would be a '70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6, a '70 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 or a '69 Ford Fairlane 428 Cobra-Jet.

3. A 1950s car. Because of the futuristic styling. The fins alone would get a lot of attention. 1st pick: 1959 Cadillac. Probably and Eldorado Convertible because they would be fascinated watching the top lower without manual assistance. Big fins and a lot of chrome. Other choices: 1958 Buick Limited (chrome everywhere). Or a 1957 Chrysler 300-C. Timeless fins, large size and powerful engine.

If there was one more choice (like there was more time left over than expected) I would pick some type of modern car just so the 1870s family could see all the computerized features and displays. Maybe a 2010 Cadillac DTS. But pretty much any late-model luxury or upscale car since most have full features.

Note: the teenagers would be late teens, like 18-19, not 13 or 14, so they would be old enough to absorb more information and remember the details.

Note: if you want to pick a two-seater, go ahead. In that case, the parents could go for a ride first, then the kids.

After the family rides in the above cars, it would be very interesting to hear their comments! (If they are not in shock and can still talk.) They would probably think the '59 Cadillac is something from another planet!
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Well technically speaking you could then just as well take an Amish family and I think the effect would be same
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Ferio View Post
    Well technically speaking you could then just as well take an Amish family and I think the effect would be same
    Lol. Well, I didn't think of that possibility!

1. Ferrari FF - Not because of its looks or anything but bc it's a Ferrari, it's fast and the whole family can enjoy it together.

2. Maybach 62 S - The ultimate in luxury

3. Lancia Delta S4 - 0-60 in 2.3 secs and a very loud braap to boot

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    1. Ferrari FF - Not because of its looks or anything but bc it's a Ferrari, it's fast and the whole family can enjoy it together.

2. Maybach 62 S - The ultimate in luxury

3. Lancia Delta S4 - 0-60 in 2.3 secs and a very loud braap to boot
    If it's going to be a Maybach, you should wait a little while longer, until the brand dies off. The cars won't be worth as much and will be better value at that point.

a Citroen DS for travelling, and a mini (an old one) for the fun.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    a Citroen DS for travelling, and a mini (an old one) for the fun.
    You have one more choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    You have one more choice!
    two ds's for travelling then, becaue they all want to experience the car of the century...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think a Lincoln Continental, but those old ones with the suicide back doors. Dont know the year though. That looks old and kinda gothic (in a way), they'll probably like that

I wonder if you took them in a Veyron and opened it up if you could induce a heart attack in them?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I wonder if you took them in a Veyron and opened it up if you could induce a heart attack in them?
    Reading through I was wondering if someone would post something this awful. Unethical? Yes. Hilarious? Yes.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

A Rolls Phantom, either a Veryon or F1 tandem car, and an aeroplane.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    having not been subjected to junk food and other unhealthy aspects of modern life, I assume that their hearts might be strong enough to survive even a Veyron.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    having not been subjected to junk food and other unhealthy aspects of modern life, I assume that their hearts might be strong enough to survive even a Veyron.
    Lol you're right they might even yawn and say is that as fast as it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Ferio View Post
    Lol you're right they might even yawn and say is that as fast as it go?
    Well, I don't know if they would say that!

Thread Information