Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Virginia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Come on, don't give me that. There are more recent figures out there. Perhaps you can post figures which show the ones I posted inaccurate?
    You have not posted any figures. Just web links. What figures do you refer to?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    You have not posted any figures. Just web links. What figures do you refer to?
    Web links with figures. What's the difference?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Perhaps some members here have heard of a town called Kennesaw in Georgia. A law was passed some years ago (1982) requiring every household to have a gun (unless someone in the household had a criminal record).

The crime rate in that town dropped a huge amount shortly thereafter and stayed low. Burglary rate dropped 89% and crimes against persons dropped 74% and has stayed low. This, of course, you won't read about or see in the mainstream media except possibly a quick 10-second story done maybe every 5 years!
    http://ecclesia.org/truth/kennesaw.html

Also:
    http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Am...e_plummets.htm

Perhaps some members here have heard of a town called Kennesaw in Georgia. A law was passed some years ago (1982) requiring every household to have a gun (unless someone in the household had a criminal record).

The crime rate in that town dropped a huge amount shortly thereafter and stayed low. Burglary rate dropped 89% and crimes against persons dropped 74% and has stayed low. This, of course, you won't read about or see in the mainstream media except possibly a quick 10-second story done maybe every 5 years!

Also:
    the link does not produce any figures of the crime rates before 1982.....so that makes any comparison a bit difficult. Were there 3 homicides each year before 1982? They simply don't say anything about that. I am more surprised to read about the mandatory automatic machine gun required in each Swiss household.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I am more surprised to read about the mandatory automatic machine gun required in each Swiss household.....
    Yes, that surely made me smile. It must be good enough for the gun wacko's to mention a country they've never heard of and make up some figures to strengthen their agenda. For me it's a reason enough to NOT read the rest of the crap.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Yes, that surely made me smile. It must be good enough for the gun wacko's to mention a country they've never heard of and make up some figures to strengthen their agenda. For me it's a reason enough to NOT read the rest of the crap.
    What figures are "made up?"

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the link does not produce any figures of the crime rates before 1982.....so that makes any comparison a bit difficult. Were there 3 homicides each year before 1982? They simply don't say anything about that.
    It doesn't really matter. The statistics already show that the burlgary rate dropped 89% after the gun law went into effect and that crimes against person dropped 74% and has stayed low.

Then the reverse happened in a town in Chicago. I think the town is Joilet. Guns in households were banned (which is unconstitutional, btw) and the crime rate soared. Because criminals knew that they could commit their crimes without worrying about meeting resistance from homeowners with firearms.

Because criminals knew that they could commit their crimes without worrying about meeting resistance from homeowners with firearms.
    Maybe also because criminals still had easy access to guns? There are always two sides to cause and effect relationships...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It doesn't really matter. The statistics already show that the burlgary rate dropped 89% after the gun law went into effect and that crimes against person dropped 74% and has stayed low.
    Burglary went down from two to one case. A 100% decline....(Lies and statistics??? )

Instead of banning guns, we need a stricter application process where one must go through a psychological evaluation before they get an application or proof that they've been checked by a psychiatrist to be relatively sane.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Web links with figures. What's the difference?
    To you clearly none. What points are you trying to have them make for you?

Also:
    This graph actually shows that the incidence of burglaries fluctuated before and after.

Another point made is that the increase in population of the town after the law was form people not previously living there so you were dealing with half the population again who were different. There is more at work in a society than merely gun laws.

Also-

Other criminologists dispute the 89% figure, using the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting data, and find instead a small, statistically insignificant increase in burglaries after the law was passed (McDowall, Wiersema and Loftin, 1989; McDowall, Lizotte and Wiersema, 1991).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennesaw,_Georgia

And before you admonish me about Wiki as a source Fleet –

http://ecclesia.org/truth/kennesaw.html =

Answers To Questions
    About the Word of God and the Meaning of Life

Just spewing I couldnt match their pretty colours.

Thanks Fleet, there are a million laughs on that website!

Well my previous graph shows that fluctuation has existed. Also the numbers are not present. 89% of a small number is a small number. What were the actual amounts? What else changed in that town aside form the large increase in population? One may say that people who move to a town which has advertised an anti crime mentality (although misguided) may not necessarily be criminals. Similarly people who move to a town with a low population may be wealthy enough not to have to consider employment and therefore not affected by the problems of the income deprived.

Then the reverse happened in a town in Chicago. I think the town is Joilet. Guns in households were banned (which is unconstitutional, btw) and the crime rate soared.
    What is "soared" and where are your links to this rhetoric?

Because criminals knew that they could commit their crimes without worrying about meeting resistance from homeowners with firearms.
    Actually while there appears a degree of truth in that other risks do appear.

The probability of an attack on a robbery victim, given an incident has occurred, is lower when the offender has a firearm than when he is armed with another weapon or no weapon at all. The evidence is very consistent on this point. However, the evidence also shows consistently that when attacks occur in assaults or robberies, they are far more likely to result in serious injuries and death when a firearm has been used. Firearm attacks are about three times as likely to result in death than knife attacks and many more times likely to be lethal than attacks with other weapons or no weapons at all. Research has not determined whether the greater lethality of firearm attacks offsets the lower probability of attacks taking place when crimes, particularly robberies, are committed with firearms.

The evidence on offender motivation and offence dynamics suggests that in many killings the offender did not have a single-minded intention to kill and, therefore, the nature of the instrument used in many violent crimes may affect the outcome. The evidence on this point includes:

1. A large proportion of firearm homicide victims are shot only once and often do not die at the scene of the incident;
    2. Homicides usually follow altercations involving considerable rage;
    3. Situational factors -- alcohol or drug consumption, victim contribution, stresses on the offender -- are critical in many cases, indicating, perhaps, the frequent lack of premeditation;
    4. Many offenders commit or attempt to commit suicide after they kill -- this pattern is particularly evident in domestic killings; and,
    5. A large proportion of inmates surveyed have claimed that they did not anticipate firing a gun prior to the crime and discharged their weapons to scare the victim or protect themselves, rather than with the intention to kill.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/pol-leg/re.../gab_rpt_e.asp

Lol.
    Crisis, burglaries went down on average and crimes against persons also went down after the gun law passed and went into effect.
    Accept the facts!

As far as the town in Chicago is concerned, I will post info when I find it.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 04-23-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Lol.
    Crisis, burglaries went down on average and crimes against persons also went down after the gun law passed and went into effect.
    Accept the facts!

As far as the town in Chicago is concerned, I will post info when I find it.

lol, the graph looks remarkably similar between 76 and 82 and 82 and 86. Look at the statistics, don’t read the biased narrative!

In 1981, there were 11 burglaries/1,000 residents; in 1998, there were only .243 burglaries/1,000 residents. The crime rate dropped 89% in that city and only 10% in the rest of Georgia.
    http://www.2ampd.net/Articles/Cook/P..._Ordinance.htm

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    lol, the graph looks remarkably similar between 76 and 82 and 82 and 86. Look at the statistics, don’t read the biased narrative!
    What is the source of the graph statistics?

Thread Information