Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite engine?

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California

What is your favorite engine?

Of course we are all car people and of course today the automobile revolves around the internal combustion engine. What's your favorite engine? Why is it your favorite and what car(s) or motorcycle(s) did it come in.

Providing some basic info about it will be appreciated.

EDIT: Alright fine you can choose more than one engine =P
    Last edited by iwmakemh; 04-28-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

I have to say, my favorite engine is in the D16 RR. Its essentially two Ducati L-twins parked next to each other having a screaming competition. The noise is unlike anything else . Those that don't have the coin for one have to settle for the typical superbikes with only one L twin .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9MRsFZJ2Hk&feature=related]YouTube - Desmosedici Dyno Run[/ame]
    Attached Images Attached Images

This will probably only be relevant to my Australian and European counterparts but until very recently I owned a 200 Series Toyota Landcruiser with a 4.5L twin turbo V8 diesel engine that I also put a chip in. In a vehicle that weighed over 3000kg with a full tank it was amazing how it shrugged off its weight, regardless of what speed you were doing, when you put your foot down. I'm not suggesting that it was a fast car, but it was definitely quick and the fact that is was capable of such performance while still remaining relatively quiet and civilised was always surprising to me.

I love the VQ series engine (non GT-R) The VQ37HR. It revs high and fast, lots of power and great sound. the power is just there, its not smooth its wild and for that i love it.

I love the N54B30 (BMW I6 3.0 Twin Turbo) Its a great engine with great sound and SO MUCH POWER! Its very smooth (except at idle) and the power is so abundant you can't even feel it you just see your speedometer go up up and away. its very fast and very powerful.

And how can we forget the Boxer 6 engine. like the 911 Carrera S 997. What an amazing sound. Add a pair of turbo's and WOW.

I can't ignore good old American V8's (particularly Chevrolet)
    And on that note i love the 4.2L Audi V8 in the S5. It sounds so nice, grumbles like crazy at idle and from nought to 3k rpm its loud but after that it gets smooth and quiet. have you ever heard an engine smoothen out and become quieter as it get up in the RPM? it makes it kind of hard to rev match but its really nice.

There are many other good engines out there too. Those are a few of my favorites.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I have to say, my favorite engine is in the D16 RR. Its essentially two Ducati L-twins parked next to each other having a screaming competition. The noise is unlike anything else . Those that don't have the coin for one have to settle for the typical superbikes with only one L twin .
    I didn't really have any motorcycles in mind, but my gosh that thing sounds good! How much hp does it produce? What is it, an l4 or a v4?
    I'm not bothered to look it up, but I am interested!
    Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    This will probably only be relevant to my Australian and European counterparts but until very recently I owned a 200 Series Toyota Landcruiser with a 4.5L twin turbo V8 diesel engine that I also put a chip in. In a vehicle that weighed over 3000kg with a full tank it was amazing how it shrugged off its weight, regardless of what speed you were doing, when you put your foot down. I'm not suggesting that it was a fast car, but it was definitely quick and the fact that is was capable of such performance while still remaining relatively quiet and civilised was always surprising to me.
    I had no idea that Toyota even made diesels! I don't even think they offer a diesel engine in their Tundra which really could use one. That's one of the downs of living in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    I love the VQ series engine (non GT-R) The VQ37HR. It revs high and fast, lots of power and great sound. the power is just there, its not smooth its wild and for that i love it.

I love the N54B30 (BMW I6 3.0 Twin Turbo) Its a great engine with great sound and SO MUCH POWER! Its very smooth (except at idle) and the power is so abundant you can't even feel it you just see your speedometer go up up and away. its very fast and very powerful.

And how can we forget the Boxer 6 engine. like the 911 Carrera S 997. What an amazing sound. Add a pair of turbo's and WOW.

I can't ignore good old American V8's (particularly Chevrolet)
    And on that note i love the 4.2L Audi V8 in the S5. It sounds so nice, grumbles like crazy at idle and from nought to 3k rpm its loud but after that it gets smooth and quiet. have you ever heard an engine smoothen out and become quieter as it get up in the RPM? it makes it kind of hard to rev match but its really nice.

There are many other good engines out there too. Those are a few of my favorites.
    The BMW straight six is a great engine, I think it sounds great in the e28 BMW 5 series. Are you talking about the carbed American V8's or just American V8's in general?

I absolutely love the Toyota A family engine. I can't really choose which one I like best! There are many variations of the engine. My Corolla has the 4AFE which has the economy head, but the engines I absolutely love are the 4AGE's! There were a bunch of these from being revvy naturally aspirated 16v engines to being supercharched and even adding an extra intake valve for each cylinder giving it 20v! I think the 4AGE 20v "Blacktop" put out around 160hp and it was only a 1.6 it makes me wish I could afford one!
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    I love the N54B30 (BMW I6 3.0 Twin Turbo)
    And how can we forget the Boxer 6 engine. like the 911 Carrera S 997. What an amazing sound.
    whilst i agree with you on how good they are, i think they sound like vacuum cleaners.
    much prefer the N/A variants with a decent exhaust, or they're predecessors.

this topic in general is sooo impossible to answer haha.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    LOL I've been meaning to post a new thread since I've been missing for a couple weeks, I've been caught up in school. It's all just opinions =]
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Fords Turbo 4L I6 from the Falcon, can easily be upped to 1000HP with ease (was done within months of it first being sold to the public). Also the 351 V8 from the Phase III Falcon from 71, awesome engine.
    Last edited by acfsambo; 04-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Chevrolet Corvette small block V8. You can put it into almost anything... Small engine with big power.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    It is indeed diffcult.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Chevrolet Corvette small block V8. You can put it into almost anything... Small engine with big power.
    it is a big engine with relatively small power. It is only small compared to a big block Chevy, which is a bigger engine with even smaller power....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it is a big engine with relatively small power. It is only small compared to a big block Chevy, which is a bigger engine with even smaller power....
    That's going to be controversial.

It's quite small physically though, isn't it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's going to be controversial.

It's quite small physically though, isn't it?
    but you still cannot put it in almost anything as was stated earlier.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It is indeed diffcult.
    Thirded.

I don't know if I could name just one favorite, but one that I really like which probably no one else will name is the 426 Hemi from back in the day. Big power. Big sound. Love em.

Edit: Henk people over here put them in everything from motorcycles to Hummer H1s. I'd say that's almost anything.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 04-27-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Big engine (displacement) small relative power is irrelevant.

If this is the LS1 for example, I believe it is very light, and very compact. So who cares if it is relatively small power?

I'd expect you least of all people would care about specific power.

Thread Information