Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine swap

Engine swap

Is it possible to take a 1st gen rx7 and swap the motor with the 3rd gen 13b? Are there any good websites for rotary engine swaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattg
    Is it possible to take a 1st gen rx7 and swap the motor with the 3rd gen 13b? Are there any good websites for rotary engine swaps?
    The much more popular swap for first and second generation rx7s is an ls1 swap, for which conversion kits are sold.

Stick with a rotary, an RX-7 without a rotary would be just bad. That's the whole point of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Stick with a rotary, an RX-7 without a rotary would be just bad. That's the whole point of the car.
    YES!! I'm glad you see it that way. Mazda nomenclature: R=Rotary, X=sporty car (and M=piston powered). The number is a chassis series, not sure?
    So, RX-7 is a rotary powered sportscar. If you change the car around and want to stay true to Mazda's naming scheme? LS1 powered 7 would be: MX-7

Quote Originally Posted by Mattg
    To research this, I would start with Racing Beat
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

i tell you what though, you'd definately shock a fair few people with the LS1 in there, although me personally would be considering the likes of a 4L lexus V8 if thats the path you wanted to take...

other than that i see no reason why the original idea wont work
    I am the Stig

Turbo LS1 > Rotary any day.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

yes it is possible and yes it has been done before, they sell motor mounts and subframes on the net, google is your friend on this one howerve, do some research yourself. im far to busy/lazy

The much more popular swap for first and second generation rx7s is an ls1 swap, for which conversion kits are sold.
    very true.

very wrong. the whole point of the RX-7 is to have a small light good handling car with a decent amount of power to hustle it around that track. it has gottem more serious about this 'street legal track car' image over the years, THAT is the point of the car. what it is powered by is only contributing to its name and some of its/rotary history. an LS1 swap makes more sense than a 13b-rew because it will cost aproximatly the same amount of money for either but with a LS1 you get a tried and porven motor capable of making great power, better gas mileage even at higher power levels(esp. on a 'power per mpg' scale), it is a more capable motor, get a iron block LS and build it up to a 427 or more with a lightweight valvetrain and twin turbo's/huge single and you could have 2300hp, something the 13b-rew is not nearly capable of. you get a fatter power curve with WAY more torque with an LS1 that is way more accepting of mods, you have the option of the T-56 6-speed one of the best 6 speed rwd trannys you can get. it is a very good option, another is a ford 302 which would be way cheaper and still produce more power and have some of the beifits of the LS1.

Mazda nomenclature: R=Rotary, X=sporty car (and M=piston powered). The number is a chassis series, not sure?
    typically most figure the name RX-7 to come from (R)otary e(X)perimental model #(7), i have never looked into the lesser siblings with the MX designations so you might be right about the "M=pistons" part but again no garantees.

RX-7 is a rotary powered sportscar.
    true, it is stock but a popular mod is to also go single turbo on the 13b-REW. but that goes against the engine designation as the "rew" part means (R)otary (E)ngine, t(W)in turbo. does it not make it a 13b-REW anymore? or is it the 13b-t from the second generation? the 13b-t was a weak motor compard to the REW so it is not true as the rew is much imporved. it is a 13b-REW even without the twin turbo's. an LS1 RX-7 is a great improvement uppon its original design, with the light weight aluminum block and heads of the LS1 it weighs aproximatly the same as the REW with its turbo's and intercooler and all the associated swtichover controls. so along with aprox. the same weight you get a very nice 6-speed gobs of torque in a very light car, more baseline horsepower and the ability to make more for half the price of modding a rotary with a near unreachable performance ceiling, V8 RX-7's have been owning autoX events across the country due to their balance, weight, and power. not creating a better car for somthng as silly as a name is rediculis.
    LS1 powered 7 would be: MX-7
    no it would be a V8 poered RX-7, the powerplant does not change the entire car, the FD, FC, and SA chassis are great patforms, but the motors have some "challenges" simply puttin the best drivetrain that can fit in a very light and responsive car is just another way of creating an awesome performaing vehicle, for 1/3rd the price of a '03 vette Z06 you could have a FD with a LS1 and T-56 and 350hp or more, you get the clean lins of the RX-7 with the healthy SBC under the hood and you get better performance than the top of the line vette for 1/3rd the price, now thats a performance bargain compared to the vettes already bargain performance.

although me personally would be considering the likes of a 4L lexus V8
    the lexus dohc V8 wouldnt be the best choice, your transmission options would be very limited and weak compared to the T-56, the lexus motor is not as strong or efficient as the LS1 and its performance potential is not nearly as high, plus you'd probly be paying more for the motor and the custom subframe you'd have to construct. all the while having a slower car with worse fuel economy.

Turbo LS1 > Rotary any day
    no anyday, just sometimes

-the local rotary defender... (honest, i love rotaries im just willing to point out their weaknesses and when theres a better option)
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Well said, megotmea7.

Megotmea7, looks like you've done you're research on this matter. I remember it was you that wanted to do the same, I mean V8 into a FD. Good for who wanna go this route For me engines are too much a part of the whole car to change. Ages ago, I fantasized about putting a 4A-GE into a Lotus Europa. Our mechanic had one stored away w/o an engine.

Reminds me of a kid I went to high school with. His uncle in Germany put a 911 motor into a VW bug. He'd said the shock value alone was worth it. The little Beetle would jump off the line like a grasshopper
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I love the LS1 idea!! Would it ever pass smog though?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

As long as it meets whatever emissions testing is required in your state, and the motor going in is newer than the car (IE, can't put OBD1 motor in OBD2 cars), it shouldn't be a problem. But you live in Cali. And they don't know wtf they're doing. Ever. So you'd have to check the guidelines.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

The Lexus V8 is avery strong motor in the bottom end,6 boltmains,big crank,big connecting rods its shouting out for turbos,probably a lot stronger than a ls1 in the bottom end.Thye infiniti 4,5 v8 is the same deal,person i know is building the 4.5 litre infinity in a drag car 800-1000hp easy with no major changes internally
    Last edited by charged; 11-18-2004 at 03:31 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    As long as it meets whatever emissions testing is required in your state, and the motor going in is newer than the car (IE, can't put OBD1 motor in OBD2 cars), it shouldn't be a problem. But you live in Cali. And they don't know wtf they're doing. Ever. So you'd have to check the guidelines.
    Yeah, the San Francisco liberals make environmental policy here. We have the most restrictive standards in the nation. Aftermarket parts manufacturers are forced to, at their own expense, re-certify their products as smog-legal here in California in a completely separate process. Then, once you put on the parts, there's no guarantee your car will pass the sniffer test.

Already CARB (California Air Resources Board) has stopped the 30 year rolling exemption at 1973, which is a first half-step to taking away my smog exemption altogether. This (among other reasons) is why after school I'm moving...

And don't get me started on the OBDII spay-ware...
    Last edited by jcp123; 11-18-2004 at 05:37 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    The Lexus V8 is avery strong motor in the bottom end,6 boltmains,big crank,big connecting rods its shouting out for turbos,probably a lot stronger than a ls1 in the bottom end.Thye infiniti 4,5 v8 is the same deal,person i know is building the 4.5 litre infinity in a drag car 800-1000hp easy with no major changes internally
    I don't doubt that the Lexus V8 is a strong engine, but it's the wrong engine for this application. Heavier than the ls1, probably too big, hasn't been done before (aka no conversion kits). Also, probably a LOT more expensive - there's a guy on honda-tech.com that did this himself for under $10k. Thread here: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=785609
    Last edited by gregvl52; 11-19-2004 at 03:00 PM.

Wink Got a question

Hey i am somewhat new to the whole mazda rotary scene and personally i love the 13b. I have a 1988 gtu model (for you that dont know that is a n/a but still quick car.) I was wondering what my possibilities for making around 350 streetable hp preferably keeping it a non-turbo sports car. I was also wondering if anyone out there knows anywhere in the northwest to find used body parts for a good price. Some of the parts needed are front fenders, front and rear bumpers. side skirts and i would like to try to find a turbo hood and transmission. any information helps.

Thread Information