Thread: British National Motor Museum visit and a look at one of the loudest cars ever built

British National Motor Museum visit and a look at one of the loudest cars ever built

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

Originally founded in 1952 by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, the National Motor Museum is one of the finest automotive museums. The father of Lord Montagu was one of the automotive pioneers and the museum originally was a tribute to him. Today the collection spawns well over a century of motoring and covers diverse themes like horseless carriages, Land Speed record breakers and cars used in James Bond movies. Among the numerous highlights are the second oldest Bugatti in the world, the most original Lotus 49 and Donald Campbell's 403 mph Bluebird. There are also temporary displays; at the time of our visit custom cars were featured and currently the popular BBC television show Top Gear takes center stage. The museum is just a part of the fabulous Beaulieu estate located in the New Forest in the South of England. Visitors can also take a tour of the gardens and even the Palace House where Lord Montagu still resides.
    We visited the museum some time ago and have compiled our impressions in a concise report and a 80-shot gallery.
    When we visited the National Motor Museum one of the star cars was missing. Fortunately we ran into this BRM V16 a few days later at the Goodwood Revival Meeting. Built for the first Formula 1 season, the V16 engined single seater had the hopes of the British nation pinned on it. At that time it had been nearly 30 years since a British car had won a Grand Prix, so the spectators were understandably disappointed when the car failed to rival the Italians and French. The BRM was notoriously unreliable but it did provide us with an unmistakable and very loud soundtrack. The roar of the V16 can literally be heard from miles away. The car owned by the National Motor Museum and featured in our article is the first one built.

Enjoy the links:

British National Motor Museum visit

1950 - 1951 BRM V16 Type 15 - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

How nice to see a story on Beaulieu here. In recent years Goodwood has stolen it's thunder a bit, but I remember clearly when it was the epicenter of everything to do with the history of motoring. I grew up in Beaulieu because my Father was one of the founding directors. The museum was both my childhood playground and gave me my first job, working in the photography department during my school holidays.

Thanks for taking me back to those wonderful childhood memories for a moment, it is such a long way from my life here in Los Angeles.
    macfly
    www.bmwz8.us

Holy crap, that's an amazing sound..

Thread Information