Thread: Porsche Mille 2011

Porsche Mille 2011

I'll be going to this next month.

Mille 2011 | November 5, 2011

Cool, Dino... wow, shooting for over 2,325 Porsches in one place?!? What are you driving to assist in the record?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Cool, Dino... wow, shooting for over 2,325 Porsches in one place?!? What are you driving to assist in the record?
    Will be copilot in my friends white Cayman S.

Wish we could be part of the effort, but too much already on the schedule. Post some pics!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Yes please post pics. I used to enjoy local Porsche meets when I had one. But the amount of cars you will be seeing is insane. Most importantly, enjoy it

Looks like fun man. You guys enjoy it and definitely share some pics !!

Doc Bundy will be giving rides in historic race cars and doing exhibition laps.

Doc Bundy's cars - Photo Gallery - Racing Sports Cars

Well, I have to say this event was overall pretty disappointing. It was not well organized at all and a lot of the things they boasted about on the web site never happened.

The car count was under 500 and they were shooting for 1500. They said there would be a 959 corral...there may have been but there were no 959's present, same for 356's except there were actually two of those.

Doc Bundy did one lap in the Blue Coral 935 then parked it.

Part of the problem with track activities was there were NASCAR drivers training classes going on and there were about 30 drivers getting track time...so the Porsche Mille activities were scheduled in between. Because of that there was a lot of time just sitting and waiting which of course interrupted what little excitement there was about eh event.

There were a lot of nice cars driven in by individuals and a couple of dealerships... but considering Porsche's North American headquarters is in Atlanta it's pathetic that not even one of the new 911's were there.

Porsche Club of America was supposedly involved too but they were invisible.

We stood out in the cold wind for three hours waiting for things to get started...the first of which was to be the worlds longest Porsche parade which amounted to driving from the outside of the track around to the other side of the track and into the infield. Attendants were making jokes about how unorganized things were and getting tired of waiting on the parade which got a late start.

The highlight of the day for my friend an I was getting to drive around the oval about seven laps. We were under controlled laps but most drivers would let a gap build to the car in front so they could matt the throttle and reach about 80mph. We did that too trying to get a feel for the banking. At low speeds you could feel the car crawling sideways as gravity was pulling you down the banking. I have a bit of new respect for the NASCAR drivers.

We each got a turn behind the wheel of my friends Cayman S which just got a new set of BBS CH-R's. We left about 3pm and the event was to be over at 6pm...there were a line of wanna-be NASCAR drivers waiting to drive when we left so we knew the event was pretty much over at 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too bad it was a letdown when it had lots of potential. Wayne's Cayman is lookin good with the new wheels !! The track ride sounds cool though !!

Thread Information