Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Australian Muscle Cars Specs & Pics

No 11. Holden Torana GTR XU1.

Time for another Holden. This time the car which 9-times Bathurst winner Peter Brock scored his first Bathurst win - in 1972.
    The Torana XU1 GTR was another of the 6-clyinder cars which fit within the Australian Muscle Car heritage. It was, like the Falcon GTHO and the Charger E39, conceived as an homologation special for the Series Production touring car rules. The car spearheaded Holden's Bathurst attack for years from 1970 to 1973.
    In 1970 there were three Holden Dealer Team Torana XU1. These were for Colin Bond, Peter Brock/Bob Morris and Christine Cole/Sandra Bennett. Bond qualified 4th, Brock/Morris 6th and Cole/Bennett 24th. A privately entered car for Don Holland qualified 5th, and was the first Torana home in 3rd. The Cole/Bennett HDT Torana was the first home of the three factory cars in 13th. Bond finished 16th and Brock/Morris were only 37th.
    In 1971, Bond and Brock drove the HDT Toranas. Brock qualified in 11th, Bond in 15th. Bond went on to finish 4th, Brock 8th.
    In 1972, Brock won the race after qualifying 5th. Bond crashed out on lap 2.
    The 1973 race was the first year for the new Group C touring car regulations, and it was the first 1000km race (before this it was 500 miles). The Brock/Chivas car qualified in 2nd, the Bond/Geohagen car in 5th. Brock/Chivas looked set to win until they ran out of petrol while trying to stretch the economy. Chivas was able to push the car into the pits and Bond took over to drive brilliantly back through the field to finish 2nd. The Bond/Geohagen car finished 3rd.

Specs:
    The LC Torana XU1 was introduced in July 1970. The LJ was introduced in 1972.
    Total built:LC - 1,633. LJ - 1,667
    Engine (1970 LC): 3050 cc six-clyinder (186 cu in). (1972 LJ): 3300 cc (202 cu in) six-clyinder. Both engines featured triple side draught Stromberg carburettors and twin manifold exhaust system.
    Power: (1970 LC) 119kW@5200rpm. (1972 LJ) 142kW@5600 rpm.
    Torque: (1970 LJ) 257Nm@3600rpm. (1972 LJ) 270Nm@4000 rpm.
    Suspension: Front - Independent short and long arm type with coil springs, one piece stabiliser bar, double acting telescopic dampeners. Rear - Four-link type with rubber bush suspension arms and coil springs, double acting telescopic dampeners
    Brakes: front discs, rear drums.
    Transmission: 4speed all-synchro M21 manual with limited slip differential. Wheels (1972 LJ) Front 13"x 8" Globe sprintmasters. Rear 13"x9" Globe sprintmasters
    Performance: 0-60 mph (LC) 8.6 secs, standing quarter (LC) 16.3 secs, top speed 129 mph.
    Weight: (LC & LJ) 1,103 kg.
    Length: (LC & LJ) 4387mm.
    Width (LC) 1600mm. (LJ) 1543mm.
    Wheelbase (LC & LJ) 2540mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No 12: 1971 Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase 3

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted on this thread, but it's time to continue my look at Australian muscle cars.

The 1971 Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase 3 is, quite simply, the car by which all other Australian muscle cars and performance cars, past and present are compared to.
    Like many of the Australian muscle cars of the time, it was built with one aim – to win the Bathurst 500. This was achieved in 1971, when Alan Moffat put his XY GTHO Phase 3 on pole by 3 seconds and beat home two other XY GTHOs. XY GTHOs took five of the top six places in the 1971 Bathurst 500. Moffat took pole again in 1972, but the highest placed Phase 3 that year was the John French example in second.
    The Falcon XY GTHO was claimed to be the fastest production four door sedan in the world at the time of its release, with a top speed of 224 km/h (140mph). Although, with the rev limiter removed, some claim it can reach 248 km/h (155mph).
    The only Australian muscle/performance car of the 1970s which could match the XY GTHO’s performance were the Chrysler Charger E38/E49. The GTHO was otherwise largely unchallenged as the fastest/quickest Australian muscle car until the 1997 Holden Commodore GTS was released. Others, such as the 1985 Holden Commodore Group A and 1992 Holden Commodore VP GTS threatened to eclipse the GTHO, but ultimately both were only just able to break the 15 sec mark for the standing quarter and the 7 sec mark for the sprint to 100 km/h, so couldn’t quite match the Phase 3.
    The 1971 Bathurst 500 win is also the stuff that Australian motoring legends are based on. The Phase 3 was untouchable at Bathurst that year.
    The Phase 3 is certainly the most collectable of the Australian muscle cars. In the 1980s, top examples sold for A$100,000. The prices have dropped back a bit, but good cars are still worth A$70,000. Pretty good, considering it was originally sold for A$5,015 (though of course, that’s not adjusted for inflation).
    For Australian Ford fans, the GTHO Phase 3 has the status of a demi-god. It’s a sign of how good it was that even today, modern Australian performance cars are compared to the Phase 3.

Specs:
    Introduced: 1971
    Body: steel, 4 doors, 5 seats
    Drivetrain: front engine (north-south layout), rear-wheel drive
    Engine: 5,751 cc (351 cu in) Cleveland V8.
    Bore/Stroke: 101.6/88.9mm
    Compression Ration: 11.0
    Power: 224kW@5400 rpm (claimed – real figure probably closer to 300kW).
    Torque: 515 Nm@3400 rpm
    Specific Output: 39kW/litre
    Length: 4689mm
    Width: 1869mm
    Height: 1417mm
    Wheelbase: 2819mm
    Weight: 1570kg.
    Fuel Tank: 164 litres.
    Power to Weight: 143kW/tonne
    Transmission: 4-speed toploader wide ratio.
    Suspension: Front- struts, A-arms, anti-roll bar. Rear – live axle, leaf springs.
    Brakes: Front – solid discs; rear – drums.
    Tyre Size – E70 HR14
    Performance: 0-60mph 6.4 secs; quarter mile: 14.7 secs. Top speed: 224 km/h (140mph).

In comparison performance figures for the 2003 Ford Falcon BA GT-P are 0-100km/h 6.4 secs; 0-400m 14.3 secs; top speed 250km/h. After 22 years, the closest car to the GTHO in Ford Australia’s range is slightly slower to 60 mph, faster over the standing quarter and has a higher top speed.

Due to the wide discrepancies in quoted facts and figures for the XY GTHO Phase 3, I have decided to take all figures from probably one of the most reputable sources, Wheels Magazine, April 2003 issue (I know that this car causes arguments, so if you disagree with any of the figures take it up with Wheels magazine, not me ).
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 05-14-2004 at 06:30 AM.

Weight: 1570kg.).[/QUOTE]
    They wernt that heavy...my fathers Genuine XW GT with the endurance tank and FMX auto doesnt even weigh that! and the phase III HO didnt really have any mods that would of raised its weight more then that...its more around the 1510 mark...and even my Falcon 500 weights mid to early 1400 so im doubting this weight figure

You could be right re weight. But as I said - all figures are from Wheels Magazine. Take it up with them....
    Regardless of exactly how heavy it was, the performance figures are still damn impressive, even by todays standards.

well wheels probably put the car on the weighbridge with 2 peopel in the car like they do their performance tests
    I am the Stig

Unless anyone has the figures from original Ford press pack or figures (which won't be in metric anyway), I'm going to stick with what I put. Outside of the official Ford figures, Wheels would be a lot more reputable than anything from the internet. Wheel's may have weighed two up, but they'd be pretty light people if Falc's 1,500 kg is right....

Man the Aussie Chargers were awesome looking...totally different from any U.S.-spec Dodge Charger.....the Oz one actually kind of looks like a late-'60s Torino or Talledega.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Yes, I kind of like the Charger as well. I'll be posting on the ultimate Aussie Charger - the E49 in the next few days. Keep a look out for it...

Sweet...hey what car was the black Interceptor car in Mad Max based off of? That looked sort of like that charger.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Ford Falcon XB 1971?
    There was quite a good article in Top Gear recently about the cars from Mad Max...

Are there any good sites with pics/ specs/ info of all these cars?
    Thanks for all the fish

I think it was an XB Falcon, but not a '71. The XA Falcon series was released in 1972, the XB in 1974. So, it was newer than '71. I'm sure some Mad Max fan can tell us for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Are there any good sites with pics/ specs/ info of all these cars?
    If you're refering to Australian muscle cars, I'm afraid that in my research for this thread I haven't come across one that has all the muscle cars from Ford/Holden/Chrysler/Leyland. There is a bi-monthly magazine here in Australia devoted to them though - "Australian Muscle Car Magazine". Its got a pretty good selection of stories each issue. They tend to take one famous Aussie car (often its a famous Aussie touring car) and write a cover feature article on it and back that up with a variety of other stories. See www.chevron.com.au if you want to check it out. And there are a couple of sites that concentrate on certain models. Probably the best I've found so far is www.fouronthefloor.com.au. If I find any other good ones I'll post the links.

Thanks motorsportnerd.

The black inteceptor in Mad Max is a 1973 Falcon XB GT coupe, with a concorde front.

Two of the yellow pursuit cars are 1974 XB sedans, the other a '72 XA, and the car they are chasing at the start is a '72 Holden HQ LS Monaro

All you cared to know about the cars from Mad Max
    Thanks for all the fish

No 13. 1972 Chrysler Charger R/T E49

Chrysler Charger R/T E49 v Ford Falcon GTHO Phase 3. This question usually starts a debate between Aussie muscle car fans about which car was the fastest Australian car (at least until 1997 when the Holden HSV Commodore GTS took the title…). Since both cars could be ordered with varying specifications and options, and since not all performance tests in the magazines of the early 1970s used modern timing equipment, it has been a hotly debated question for a number of years. Suffice to say, the Charger was the fastest six cylinder car produced in Australia until 2002 (when the Ford Falcon XR6T matched the performance of the E49), while the Falcon GTHO Phase 3 was the fastest eight cylinder car until 1997.
    The E49 was, as with most of the cars I’ve mentioned, built with the aim of winning the Bathurst 500. The car was introduced in 1972, but Chrysler pulled its factory support for the race teams. So, the E49 was run at Bathurst by privateers. After qualifying in 6th, Leo Geohagen’s car finished 4th. Doug Chivas, meanwhile, qualified 9th, but finished 3rd. This was the best placing ever achieved by a Chrysler in Australia’s most famous motor race.
    A couple of Chargers also raced in 1973, but didn’t record particularly impressive results.
    The E49 is a rare car, as only 149 were produced.
    For an interesting overview of the Chrysler Charger see http://www.fastlane.com.au/Features/Charger_history.htm.
    So, which of Australia’s two most respected muscle cars do you prefer? The Charger R/T E49 or the Falcon XY GTHO Phase 3?

Specs - as per E39 except as follows
    Introduced in 1972.
    Engine: HEMI 4.3 litre 6-clyinder with triple 45 mm dual throat Weber carburetors
    Power 226@5600 rpm. Torque 433Nm@4100.
    Transmission: 4-speed manual (replacing the E39’s 3-speed).
    Performance: 0-60 mph 6.1 secs, standing quarter 14.5 secs, top speed 203 km/h.
    Weight: 1,372kg (in comparison to 1,400kg for the E39).

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Thanks motorsportnerd.

The black inteceptor in Mad Max is a 1973 Falcon XB GT coupe, with a concorde front.

It was also heavily based off the bodykit on a Falcon Concept shown at the time. The kit was made by an aftermarket company but i believe now theyre out of business
    I am the Stig

Thread Information