Thread: Zoom Lenses

Zoom Lenses

I'm looking to get some zoom lenses for my Rebel XSi, and after some research I'm still confused... So I'll ask the UCP professionals.

I almost bought a Canon 55-250mm lens, retails at about $300, can get it on ebay for around $230. I've tried this one before and know that it works fine, but then I saw a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Lens for le$$. Are Sigmas any good? is the 70-300mm a good zoom?

The glass you keep, the bodies you replace. Spend the money on quality glass and you will not be sorry. 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for.

My 70-200 f/2.8L IS has served me well, and I've used it on a number of different bodies. If you're on a tight budget, look at the 70-200 f/4.0L's; the non-IS can be had new for $600.

Yes, Sigma can make a mean lens but sometimes their QC is a bit off. Unless you can send it back, and for the range you are looking at, I'd get one of the Canon L's. And no, I'm not an L snob - heck, my favorite lense is the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (it's so versatile, and beats the L's on everything but build quality).
    Turning money into memories.

Rasmus has it right.

I don't think I've ever lost more than $150 on an L lens. I buy a new 70-200 f/2.8 every couple of years because the cost is of ownership is negligible... given how much I rely on that lens.

I have one Sigma that I took from a friend because of it's extreme width. (12-24) - It's fine for that purpose. However, about 8 years ago, when I purchased my fist Canon D30 SLR, I went with a couple of Sigma. Realizing I didn't like them, I sold them within 3 months... I LOST MY ASS. They barely retained 50% of their value.

Zooms are very tought to make while retaining speed, color and sharpness. You need to keep in mind that to make the range of zoom, it requires "elements".... (additional lenses). They add together to make the range you need. As you move them closer or further apart, they change the magnification. So, the more range... the more glass you are shooting through. This adds softness, color fringe and slows the whole process down.

The 70-200 is one of the finest zooms in the industry. The later f/4. version is affordable and quite good.

JT
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

If you were looking at bying a decent zoom lens on a budget, Sigma will work for you. I have two Sigma zoom lenses, a 75-300mm and a 170mm-500mm. For the money I paid for them they both perform quite well. If you compare them to your L-series lenses, you will find that they just are not on the same level of performance. I, however, am satisfied with my Sigma lenses as I only do photography as a hobby and I can get away with a slightly slower, heavier lens and maybe a poorer quality photograph (not always the case). Another thing that made me decide to go with Sigma is the fact that I wont ever really sell my lenses. If you think you will buy a Sigma zoom lens and sell it after two years for 60% of its original value, you are living in a fools paradise!

As I said, over the years that I've been doing photography, Sigma has served me well. Maybe not as well as an L-series lens would have, but with all that money it saved me it allowed me to buy a whole bunch of other accessories that improved my photography, like filters and various other gadgets.

It basically comes down to how serious you are about photography. When you look at photographs taken by professionals like John Thawley, it becomes evident why they use expensive L-series lenses. Im sure it serves them well, however, I just do it for fun. That being said, I dont see spending money I dont really have as being much fun! For this reason, Sigma suits my kind of photography. Sigma floats my boat, its up to you to decide whether it will float yours!

OK... my 2 cents;

If you are on a budget by all means go with Sigma.

BUT if you are looking for quality, high resale and costs aside by all means go for Canon. I used to work for Canon and they do make some of the best lenses I have ever used. Also their lenses are back and forward compatible. So if you bought the an old Canon lens it'll still work with the new EOS or DSLR range. If you are gonna go travelling bet the worldwide warranty coz it promises a maximum of 3 days fixing time or a 1 for 1 replacement if it takes longer.

It all depends on how avid a photographer you are. If you are serious get the Canon, if not the Sigma will do just fine

Great info guys, thanks a lot

Thread Information