Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am going through a Car dilemma, HELP

I am going through a Car dilemma, HELP

Good afternoon, I am a first time poster. I just found this forum by searching google. Lemme start by introducing myself. My name is Mike Perowski and I am a big sports car fan. I love them 100 percent, well maybe 99% and I will tell you why in just a bloody second.

First off since I was a kid, I imagined myself driving around in a wonderous V8 engine. But now I find myself much different.

As of June 2004 I bought myself a 1993 Volvo 940, sure the car is a Volvo and Volvos are known for their tank like features, and it does have a nice kick to it, however one thing always brings me down and that is performance. First off when I bought my car for a total of 2800 dollars I saw a car, and thats what I got. Sure a few things were wrong at first, but I did correct those wrongs. I find myself struggling though very bad.

Before I bestowed my eyes upon this Volvo I was about to buy myself a 1991 Camaro RS V8 5.0 liters 305 hp. The first owner did some work to it at a Chevrolet Performance shop down in Ventura, CA and the second owner (who is related to me) has offered me this lovely car again 1000 dollars less than he did last time. Originally I was supposed to purchase the car from him for $3000 but seeing as how something went wrong during the process, I found myself not buying the car because he needed it over the summer. But now in August 2004, he came back to me and said "here's the deal, I will give you my car for 2000 dollars out the door, a few things need to be done, such as tune up, and a power window replacement. Thats it" Quite frankly the car has 99k miles on it. He drives a 95' Suburban which he is very happy with so his Camaro just sits on the driveway all day long. The last time he drove it was in august of 2004. So 2 months of isolation really does something to the mind. I feel kind of bad, because here is a perfectly beautiful car sitting on a driveway not recieving love from its owner. But my problem now is, I have a car and I love it very much. But for some odd reason I just keep thinking back to the Camaro and how cool and fun it would be to have one. I have driven it a few times myself, the car handles excellent (same Corvette suspensions) its got real good acceleration (0-60 in 6.0 seconds) which is good for an almost 14 year old car. And despite its somewhat high mileage it drives really good. My Volvo has a 186,000 miles on it. Yes it may be high, according to some but the car still drives like it has 50k miles on it. Mileage has no effect on Volvo.

This little trick has to stop, I love Camaros, very much especially the early 90s models. But in the long run which car is going to last me longer. I take extra good care of my cars, I know Camaros are known for performance rather than reliability, but this 91 RS is WELL taken care of. He's owned the car since 2000 I believe, and he has only spent 500 dollars on it and that was because of a heater core problem.

Thank you

think the volvo will last longer, keep the camaro as a baby or for weekends only if you want it so much.
    and thats good that the camaro has "305" hp, usually those cars are slow(when they're automatic.....from experience, slower than an eclipse, when they're manual, thats another deal). and it also doesn't have so many miles in it. have some friends with those, and also finished(with my brother) building a 350 sbc with 400whp, a 350 tranny, and true dual exhaust on a 92 RS, sounds pretty kool.

might as well buy it and keep it as weekend driver......
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Welcome to UCP! From your post I get the feeling you really want the Camaro and at the same time you're trying to justify it's purchase in your head. Get the Camaro dude, life is too short for what ifs you know. "What if I had gotten the Camaro when I had the chance?" Go for it!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I cant afford two cars, mostly because of insurance.

I love sports cars, but I mean I do have other options. My other options was to keep the Volvo until it totally dies on me then in the long run buy myself a nice Camaro.

I really really like those new GTOs for some odd and apparent reason. I know the new GTOs are nothing like the older models, and they look less like sports cars and more like a Grand Prix coupe, but for some odd reason I really like them.

I'll probably get the Camaro, I just really like my car, very much. Its done me well, but I just feel the need for a faster, and more fun car.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperowski
    I cant afford two cars, mostly because of insurance.

I love sports cars, but I mean I do have other options. My other options was to keep the Volvo until it totally dies on me then in the long run buy myself a nice Camaro.

I really really like those new GTOs for some odd and apparent reason. I know the new GTOs are nothing like the older models, and they look less like sports cars and more like a Grand Prix coupe, but for some odd reason I really like them.
    The GTO really is a great car, I'm planning on getting one in a few months, the 2005 model with the 400HP engine will be out by then. Remember the GTO is really the Australian Holden Monaro, which benefits from much better build quality than American made Pontiacs.

I'll probably get the Camaro, I just really like my car, very much. Its done me well, but I just feel the need for a faster, and more fun car.
    If you can, hold on to the Volvo and wait till the 2005 GTO comes out, then sell the Volvo and use that for the down payment. You'll be glad you did I'm a Camaro fan too, but I'd rather have the GTO.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

well i have no clue caus i like big buts,...

If you really like the GTO and can swing the money for insurance, there's huge rebates and incentives on the 04 models. Something like $240 a month with nothing down. A new GTO would seem to fit the bill of reliable (plus warranty) and performance oriented.

Rumor is 2007 will see a new Camaro, so if you really want one but can't justify it at this point, it WILL be back.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I have made my decision.

After a series of thinkings, I think I will be buying the Camaro. I dont drive alot anyways, I only drive to work and back. I figured I'd keep the Camaro for about 4-5 more years then just sell it off or keep it stored.

I just cant bear to think away from it, Camaros are surely awesome cars, I love them no one can change my mind. I love the body style of the 91s especially.

December is the buy date of the Camaro I just hope all goes well.

Good for you mate! You won’t look back
    I was in the exact same predicament this time last year. I had a nice 1973 V8 Ford Fairlane that was fairly cheap to run (LPG conversion), extremely comfortable, and it looked good. But I wanted to experience owning a true sports car, and that’s when I found my 87 Corvette.
    After one test drive that was it. It just put a huge grin on my face, so I had to have it.
    Some times I miss the old Ford. And at times I wish I still had it for a more comfortable and economical commute to work. But as is the way of things I could not afford to have both so I took the chance.

I am glad you took the chance as well.

OK NO CAMARO FOR ME! I test drove this car today and yes its an extremely powerful car, however I dont know if it was my luck or if I just had no idea.

First thing, I was flooring it on every turn going around 45 mph in neighborhoods and like 65 on empty roads. Then when I rolled down the window to hear the lovely engine roaring, it went down and down, but then after enough time, I rolled the window back up and then it didnt want to roll up so I was like. Oh God no, do not do this to me now. The power window motor is completely done. You think thats bad just wait until the rest comes up. After the power window mishap, I floor it at the next turn and then I feel something wrong with the car. So I stop at a stop sign, no one in sight. I pull over turn off what would be my future vehicle to see what the hell is going on. I roll up the window with my hands then turn on the car to finish it up by the power window. After that I shift the car to drive then lightly push the pedal to get the hell out of the isolate neighborhood. THEN, I decide, well it is power brakes, so maybe I should just test the brakes out to see if it makes much of a difference. I go about 30-35 mph then I slam the brakes to test them out. The car engine quits on me, the car stalls. No matter I'll just turn it back on. I shift it to park then atleast attempted to turn it back on. The car starts for a microsecond, then shuts off once again so I am sitting here with a "WTF" expression I shut it off get out the key. Pop open the hood to see what the hell went wrong. After that I called the owner up on my phone and said "whether or not you want to take this seriously or as a joke, your car just broke down on me, and I am left stranded." Before I did this call I tried starting it 13 times and it just didnt want to go. I dont know if it overheated which I dont understand why it would. Its middle of october, some 70 degrees outside. Anyway after I called him up he asked me "where are you?" I gave him exact directions. So with an only ounce of hope left into me, I decided, ok maybe the car was tired I'll give it one more try. I got in and inserted the key into the ignition then started it one last time, FINALLY the car started and I slammed the gas back to where I got it from.

What the hell went wrong with this car? Did it overheat? He said he has never had this problem before. It made no sense as to why the car did this to me. I still like the car, but maybe I should get something better like a Z28 95' or something

well, if you dont get the camaro get another car that is fun, older volvo's are unfun and boring
    www.supercarfreak.net
    the best of automotive and general talk!

^ Wow you're narrow minded, My car may be old but its definitely not boring. My car has never left me stranded like the Camaro did to me.

I'll keep my car and in September of 2005 I'll get myself a Z28.

The Camaro I drove today was no doubt a nice car, very fast, very powerful, but I just dont know why it did what it did today. My Volvo is perfectly fine. I am just looking for a fast fun car.

1 the volva may not last much longer. 190k is a LOT of miles for any car, and even though the drivetrain may last, things like brakes and such will start to go. It's inevitable.

2 camaros can be pretty reliable. 90k is not THAT many miles, but around 110 is when you need to start replacing things for any car. So you may need to consider than brakes may go, shocks may need replacing...anything that happens on old cars can happen on that. I'm sure you've seen it with your volvo, unless you ignored it.

3 I'm not surprised the car freaked out on you. Driving a performance car is different than a econobox. Those cars are made to start up, drive, then shut down, like a dishwasher or something. A true sports car is like a woman, it takes time, patience, and a little understanding to get what you want. While 91 isn't that old, older cars are MUCH more finicky than younger ones. Take the camaro out for another test. Drive it around, stop and go style for a while. Pull over, turn the car off. Let it sit, and start it again. Drive it a little, repeat. This could be like what you would normally see. Yeah, any car can perform flawlessly if the owner starts it, you drive it around the block, then park it. It's quite possible that you flooded the engine or messed up the electronics or something else, who knows. You ever played with computers? Sometimes all you need to do is turn the power off, run around the house, calm down, and when you turn it back on it magically works.

I'm not going to tell you to get the camaro, but if you want a fun car, it's a good start. Replacement parts will come ridiculously cheap, so repairs will NOT be a problem. You will face higher insurance and less MPG, however. The power window problem shouldn't be a concern. The replacement part can't be over 50 dollars, as I bet you could get a complete door for less.

I personally say go for it. It doesn't seem like he'd be bullshitting you, but who knows. Cars do weird things sometimes. When I turn the key in my audi, it can take a few second before ANYTHING happens. No engine turning over, no battery cranking, just dead stillness. It's scary. I vote take it for a spin, see what happens. Turn it on, off, etc. If it's not working how you want, don't buy it. Be aware that it will not be the flawless commuter your volvo is, however. The honda I owned before I got the audi was probably similar to your volva. No weird issues, everything worked, but a complete bore to drive. I bought the audi, and am now chasing all kinds of electrical and vacuum gremlins, but the car is fantastic to drive and to look at.

my 2 cents
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

just saw you responded, and wanted to say:

any fast, fun car will be a PITA, unless it is brand new. Even then, expect to have some issues. Such is owning a fast car. If you want a flawless car, buy an import econobox. If you want a fast flawless car, open your wallet.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

^ Wow you're narrow minded, My car may be old but its definitely not boring. My car has never left me stranded like the Camaro did to me.

I'll keep my car and in September of 2005 I'll get myself a Z28.

The Camaro I drove today was no doubt a nice car, very fast, very powerful, but I just dont know why it did what it did today. My Volvo is perfectly fine. I am just looking for a fast fun car.
    Good thing you test drove it. I would suggest an LT1(93-97) over a L8X Z28(pre 93). Not only are they faster and more powerful, but there all around more refined, and reliable (also get better EPA.)

Thread Information