Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would be the fastest?

What would be the fastest?

Here's something I've been wondering lately. If you had to do a really long trip, which car would you think would be the fastest and why?

And by long I mean like from Lisbon to Moscow which would be about 4600km and would take probably at least three days.

I'll post what I think would be the fastest later.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

is there no sort of speed limit or anything? i would think if you kept the speed limit, any car would work

A big HSV like a Senator or Grange. Big powerful V8, but geared for cruising which would give a decent fuel range. Holden V8's do about 8l/100km cruising 120km/h, so you'd probably be able to get about 10l/100km pushing up to 160kmh or so, which would be like a 650km range. Plus they're ridiculously comfy and can handle pretty well.

Other than that, probably a big-engined Merc or Audi.
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 03-19-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

a BMW 335d
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Bmw E39 M5. :d

If you plan on observing traffic laws distance between fillups will be the deciding factor. Several companies make in-bed axillary fuel tanks for what us yanks call "pickup trucks." I think a diesel truck with a 100+ gallon aux tank would be the way to go. As long as the roads are strait they can be quite fast too. A friend of mine has an F250 with a bully dog programmer, and it can out accelerate another friends G35 and tops out just north of 225kph.

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    is there no sort of speed limit or anything? i would think if you kept the speed limit, any car would work
    You'd go through Germany, and anyway Europeans don't exactly drive on the speed limit always.

Also you could take into consideration that a comfortable car would allow to go further everyday since you would be less tired. As has been said range would also be important.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Also you could take into consideration that a comfortable car would allow to go further everyday since you would be less tired. As has been said range would also be important.
    you are not talking people into the new C5 Touring aren't you?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If this includes modified vehicles then I suppose any bloody thing goes

But for more down to earth machinery of the standard kind, the sky is still the limit as far as my car choice is concerned so why not this little beauty with V-max of 216 km/h and a so-so range of 560 kms

Otherwise I'm taking the 1969 Falcon 351 GT with its standard-issue 163 litre petrol tank that gives a proven range of 1416 kms per tankful @ average speed of 76 km/h - so no delays for speeding tickets and only two-and-a-bit stops for refueling all the way from Lisbon to Moscow. And oh yeah for my secret weapon I'm also bringing a packet of no-doze, along with one of these

BMW 530d with speed limits, 535d without. Both are fast, comfortable and have excellent fuel economy. Even without speed limits the diesels are preferable to the much faster M5 because the M5 gets horrible gas milage and acceleration can't make up for time at pump.

I want a 599
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

a bowler wildcat, for the lulz
    plus, because you didn't say what conditions
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    you are not talking people into the new C5 Touring aren't you?
    guess not

Bentley Continental GT.

i'd would say to do this in a BMW 735LD they are very good cars to drive them for a very long trip and they don't make any noise because of the 100Kg of isolation material

Thread Information