View Poll Results: So if its your money, which are you buying?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aston Martin

8 22.86%
  • SLS AMG

2 5.71%
  • 458 Italia

15 42.86%
  • R8 5.2

4 11.43%
  • 911 Turbo

6 17.14%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: one of the best comparison tests ive seen in a long time

one of the best comparison tests ive seen in a long time

911 turbo vs italia vs aston martin vs sls AMG vs r8 v10

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

The only thing missing is the zr-1. However, i still think the porsche would have won handidly.

I must say, ive never been much of a porsche fan, but i really like this new 911 turbo. Not only is it fast as hell, but it is also the least expensive car in this test!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I've driven a few Porsche's and I'm just not a Porsche guy...I'd be torn between the 458 and R8. Aston's bore me and the SLS...not a desire of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I've driven a few Porsche's and I'm just not a Porsche guy...I'd be torn between the 458 and R8. Aston's bore me and the SLS...not a desire of mine.
    Exact opposite for me.

(Altough I'm not interested in a Turbo and it's not the Aston I'd really want)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I've driven a number of Porsche Turbos and I find them startlingly characterless; too firm to be a GT car and too distant to be a sports car. If I'm going to spend my money on a 911 with a wing it's gotta be the GT3.

I think both the SLS and the R8 are weird looking, I do however like the way the R8 Spider looks.

I'm not a fan of the little Aston's looks, and frankly I think Aston should stick to GT cars.

So in the end it's the Ferrari. But than again, isn't it always. Just don't give it to me in red.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

You should make a poll option.

the porsche throws the value of the rest into doubt. but then it's not always about the numbers, and i'd have the aston (merc is ugly as sin and auto, audi looks awkward), 458 close second.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 10-05-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

SLS for me, mainly because of its glorious engine and its suprisingly good dynamics. Apart from that i like it's looks and it's long disance cruiser abilities. However, the Turbo is without a question the best car in the test.
    too firm to be a GT car
    I wouldn't call the Turbo "firm".
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    You should make a poll option.
    done!

I went with the italia.

At the end of the day, ive never been crazy about porsches. They have looked just about the same since i was born (with minor changes of course but the overall shape is unmistakeable) and since i was a kid, ive never thought they were very good looking.

Additionally, i like NA cars. And I like Mid engined cars. And I LOVE Ferrari's.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    SLS for me, mainly because of its glorious engine and its suprisingly good dynamics. Apart from that i like it's looks and it's long disance cruiser abilities. However, the Turbo is without a question the best car in the test.

I wouldn't call the Turbo "firm".
    I've spent some time in both he 996 and 997 Turbo and I found stiff springs and short wheel base made it unpleasant for cruising on anything less than perfect roads. Maybe it's just because I don't like the way most new Porsches are set up.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Aston or Ferrari...

Aston is just the cooler option. It's an Aston.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    done!

Additionally, i like NA cars.
    +1 to this. much more 'precise' feel imo, can place the revs wherever, no inertia in the drivetrain/feel or whatever.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I would have gone for the SLS not knowing the Aston was the marvelous Vantage V12. Knowing that, it just gets a lot easyer, that v12 sound makes it a lot more special than the 'regular' v8, and imo i believe it to be the best sound of the test group. No, it isn't the fastest, or the lightest, for me it's what i'm looking for in a supercar, fun, manual gearbox, a great interior and an awsome engine.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I don't know, I'm between the Porsche and the Aston, but I like the DBS slightly more than the Vantage. The R8 I would have considered, but I think if I wanted a V10, I would have gone for the Gallardo (of course, I'm not sure how much of a price difference that is).

So Porsche for me, but honestly, I think I would have saved even more money had I gone for the GT3.

A normal GT3 is $20,000 cheaper than the Turbo and if I was feeling shameless and attention-whorey a GT3 RS can be had for exactly as much as the Turbo.

So I think I'd take one of those.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Went with the Turbo in the poll just because despite it probably being the least "interesting" on the 5, its hard to ignore the whole price point issue rationally....10-20K is not pocket change, and 100k is a lot of money even for someone who is shopping for a car like this...

I agree with the above though, for the same money I'd probably go with GT3RS...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information