Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMART SS on the road for Xmas

SMART SS on the road for Xmas

CarPoint

GM Holden and Victoria Police have collaborated in the design of 20 special SS Commodores to join the police fleet

GM Holden and Victoria Police have collaborated in the design of 20 SS Commodores to join the police fleet as state-of-the-art SMART cars (Special Mobile Anti Road Toll Cars), to reduce the road toll and increase road safety during the 2006 holiday season.

Victoria Police says the strikingly liviered cars will provide maximum visibility on roads during peak periods and will be used as a tool that will be a constant reminder for motorists to follow the road rules.

Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby and Victorian Minister for Police Tim Holding unveiled the fleet this week as part of the summer holiday road safety campaign that will see additional resources being devoted to Victorian roads over the holiday period.

Mr Ashby said the cars are part of Victoria Police’s commitment to making roads safer.

“The SMART cars will be a reminder to all motorists to obey the road rules, not in a bid to avoid a fine, but in an effort to save lives and reduce road trauma,” he said.

Holden is a major supplier of fleet vehicles to Victoria Police and the SS Commodore SMART cars were developed in close collaboration between the two organisations.

The eye-catching vehicles will be distributed to each police region where they can be used to promote road safety through high profile traffic patrols.
    http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/porta...opDefault.aspx

Wtf how are these meant to make anything safer. I don't think choosing taxi yellow was a very good idea, now every time i see a cab i'll think its a cop car. If this is meant to be anything like the xr8 highway patrol cars which are apprenty meant to be more visable but in fact the only time i ever see them is hidden trying to catch people with their radar guns.

btw cop xr8's look better than these
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

just wondering how they would be able to reduce the road tolls? Do they mean death tolls, are is there toll system that you pay for the use of the road.

I also don't think that Daimler Benz will be happy about the name chosen for the car...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If everyone see's yellow when driving and thinks it's one of these cars then they will think twice about doing wrong, And that is what they are men't for to be seen not hidden..

The Return of the Legendary Interceptors.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Im glad theyre victorian and not ACT/NSW. they look like bloody taxis, youre on the money with that one slick.

what a joke, if they wanted them to stand out they should have painted them in hot pink.
    The Datto will rage again...

That is true, they do look like taxis, to people who can't read.

haha.. interceptor maybe thats where they got their idea
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Yet another way to repress hapless Victorian taxpayers, plus extract those all-important $$. I'm glad I left that police state when things started to get really manic

The ORIGINAL Interceptor aka Victoria Police 'Candy Car'
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm gonna have to pull over when ever I see one of these to stop laughing!
    "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "Life is short, drive fast!" - Lamborghini
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
    "I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman

Aah I was thinking of something like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I don't know how anyone will think they are taxi's, Everyone knows all taxi's are Falcons.

This is the dumbest thing ive ever heard of...WTF are they on about...how are different coloured police cars gonna reduce the bloody road toll??!!...dumb victorians

...We have 20 taxi yellow police cars, hence there will be less deaths on victorian roads...??

I'd call them DUMB police cars....

"Special Mobile Anti Road Toll Cars"...what a damn joke!!
    Last edited by adrenaline; 12-24-2005 at 05:10 AM.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

You still miss the point they are making.

"
    Victoria Police says the strikingly liviered cars will provide maximum visibility on roads during peak periods and will be used as a tool that will be a constant reminder for motorists to follow the road rules."
    Thats the point, right? So basically give them greater visibilty....but how much of a difference can more visibility really make...if people arent used to seeing yellow police cars then they will mistake them for taxis from a distance...enough said...

state-of-the-art SMART cars
    Correct me if Im wrong, but what is state-of-the-art about them?? The paint job??

I wonder how much this little project cost??
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thats the point, right? So basically give them greater visibilty....but how much of a difference can more visibility really make...if people aren't used to seeing yellow police cars then they will mistake them for taxis from a distance...enough said...
    Well then it work's both ways if people mistake them for taxis and do wrong well then they will catch them easy enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what is state-of-the-art about them?? The paint job??

I wonder how much this little project cost?
    You ever herd of the front mounted camera that takes pics of the car infronts number plate and sends that through a computer in the car and scans that all with a press of a button?
    It also can take a larger picture and send that through the computer to the data banks as well.

And price it would have to be cheaper then the Monaros they got in QLD.
    And also the 4 GTS Coupes and GTO's they used a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Well then it work's both ways if people mistake them for taxis and do wrong well then they will catch them easy enough.
    That works, but the quote said that the point of them being yellow was to make people be more aware they were there...lol if they think they are taxis then the plan has failed...

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    You ever herd of the front mounted camera that takes pics of the car infronts number plate and sends that through a computer in the car and scans that all with a press of a button?
    It also can take a larger picture and send that through the computer to the data banks as well.
    i havent heard of that but fair enough
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thread Information