Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182
Results 1,216 to 1,228 of 1228

Thread: The State of The Car

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Side note, is anyone underwhelmed by the new Mustang? Any thoughts on Dodge going electric and axing the Charger and Challenger?
    To be honest, my main concern is that they continue to make the electric ones at Brampton Assembly, which is a short drive from me. Lots of people work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    To be honest, my main concern is that they continue to make the electric ones at Brampton Assembly, which is a short drive from me. Lots of people work there.
    A lot of people lost their jobs, the requirements of the workforce are changing. Even the service industry isn't quite the same anymore after the pandemic.

Anyone find it hilarious that Honda saw crossovers from a mile away and the Crosstour and ZDX didn't do well at all?

https://youtu.be/3nHFsB3jtsA

Just a quick video on gasoline in California.

Just curious, how much is gasoline where you are?

3.29 89 octane
    3.69 91 octane
    3.99 93 octane

Even with $7 gasoline in California, people have no clue how cheap gasoline is here in the US.

Values are for Southern Ontario. I drive a lot, lot less now so a tank may go a month or two... Or more. You can fill up between 155-170 for 89.

166.6 CAD cents per litre 89
    184.1 CAD cents per litre 91
    191.5 CAD cents per litre 93

That equates to (multiply by 0.72):
    120 USD cents per litre 89
    130 USD cents per litre 91
    138 USD cents per litre 93

Or (multiply by 3.78541):
    3.17 USD per US gallon 89 octane
    3.43 USD 91 US gallon octane
    3.65 USD 93 US gallon octane

Unless I screwed the conversions up. Even though it is Cali, I am surprised its so low.

Why is the US gallon and Imperial gallon different? What a disaster. US pints, and so our beer tallboys, are a a pathetic 483 ml instead of 561 ml. Sad!

Values are for Southern Ontario. I drive a lot, lot less now so a tank may go a month or two... Or more. You can fill up between 155-170 for 89.

166.6 CAD cents per litre 89
    184.1 CAD cents per litre 91
    191.5 CAD cents per litre 93

That equates to (multiply by 0.72):
    120 USD cents per litre 89
    130 USD cents per litre 91
    138 USD cents per litre 93

Or (multiply by 3.78541):
    3.17 USD per US gallon 89 octane
    3.43 USD 91 US gallon octane
    3.65 USD 93 US gallon octane

Unless I screwed the conversions up. Even though it is Cali, I am surprised its so low.

Why is the US gallon and Imperial gallon different? What a disaster. US pints, and so our beer tallboys, are a a pathetic 483 ml instead of 561 ml. Sad!
    That’s not half bad prices! I remember gas used to be more expensive the last time I was in Canada.

...These aboots are made for walkin'...
    I think it was 180 cents du nord for 87 last time I was in Montreal in September; maybe 20c more for the 91 that my Infiniti Q50 demanded. The Canadian dollar is weak right now and Canada is a borderline petrostate (I have been told by Westerners, so I'm somewhat suspicious, that PetroCanada stands for "Pierre Elliot Trudeau Rips off" Canada), so it kinda makes sense that their prices aren't so extreme.

I rarely fill up in Connecticut, but I think it's around $3.50 with diesel being, notably, some 60% more or nearly $2 extra per gallon.

Those oil derricks disguised as art-deco, but otherwise nondescript, buildings must be working overtime!

This is a bit of a weird scenario where the US system is minutely more rational than another: I know the Imperial system is an incredibly low bar to clear but I think it's been done! US pints are exactly a pound of water: sort-of like kilograms and liters, but with a poorer understanding of the differences between mass and weight...

MTL is quite variable in that regard; you want to find the bars that serve Imp. pints (some do; Anglos in QC seem to double down...) not the debased Eurocentric 50cl (centiliters, or worse yet: centilitres... really?) joints, or, worst of all, US customary pints.

As an aside about the Q50 (nee Skyline): I was quite happy to have my biases validated. I have long believed, and I know I'm not alone in this belief, that Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan; with Mitsubishi as its AMC. The Q50 was a nice enough car in concept: powerful, fast, and comfortable, but it really seemed to screw up the little stuff. The infotainment was a mess with all sorts of new and varied compatibility issues on any given day, it has a VQ so it sounds (charitably) quite poor, and its handling was a bit odd thanks to rental-spec alignment, tire pressures all over the board (which I fixed), and strange steering due to the EPS and AWD. Though it's a bit hard to separate the signal from the noise on that one thanks to the alignment and tire pressures.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Kidty, you might want to check your calculations. They are bit misleading, unless it is very special Canadian litre.

Over here it is about 7.25 USD per gallon or €1.95 per litre.

Not too bad considering there is a war going on next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Kidty, you might want to check your calculations. They are bit misleading, unless it is very special Canadian litre.

Over here it is about 7.25 USD per gallon or €1.95 per litre.

Not too bad considering there is a war going on next door.
    Yeah, they're wrong. Been too long since I took thermodynamics, hahah.

Yep I f'd it; divided instead of multipled.

4.60 USD per US gallon 89 octane
    5.09 USD per 91 US gallon octane
    5.29 USD per 93 US gallon octane

TBH I oftnen don't have tons of sympathy for middle class North Americans who are rolling in a truck they never put stuff in the back of, or an SUV they don't need, to drive to their big house.

Buy a smaller car, folks!

Yep I f'd it; divided instead of multipled.

4.60 USD per US gallon 89 octane
    5.09 USD per 91 US gallon octane
    5.29 USD per 93 US gallon octane

TBH I oftnen don't have tons of sympathy for middle class North Americans who are rolling in a truck they never put stuff in the back of, or an SUV they don't need, to drive to their big house.

Buy a smaller car, folks!
    I was going to say, gas in Canuckistan should not be cheaper than NY.

The EPA actively favored heavier cars, you reap what you sow.

Quick, get everyone to buy 6000 lb electric crossovers with 22 inch wheels! That's the only way to save the environment!

Or you know, you can mandate everyone to drive a 30 year old Honda CRX that easily gets 40 mpg on the highway.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 10-18-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Is anyone not surprised that some governments are pedaling back on full electric cars? Our electricity and charging infrastructure is in shambles and to expect everyone to buy fully electric cars is insane.

If anything, focusing on plug in hybrids is a better idea. Most people have commutes that are under 30 miles daily.

Just curious, how's everyone doing for the new year?

Any new purchases? My cousin got a Tesla Model Y, and although I have no interest in driving it, I'm curious about it from a quality perspective. He's already had to send it back to the dealer for adjustments to front hood and fender fitment.

I still can't disconnect Musk from the company, he makes a very competent, competitive electric car. But the man is a complete piece of trash. Part of the more money than brains club.

Not sure how things are in other countries, but interest rates are through the roof here and I will probably end up buying out my lease rather than tie myself to another lease for another new car for the Honda HR-V. Besides, with the way things are going with cars, I'd rather have a fairly modern car with not too much internet connectivity than one with far too much internet connectivity.

I am gonna drive my 2013 Mazda 3 into the ground. Then look for an off-lease Honda, Mazda, Kia, or Hyundai.

Boring! But smart.

Thread Information