Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytona Historic Races

Daytona Historic Races

We had nearly perfect weather for the HSR season finale, though it was quite windy. After the frustrations at Rennsport last month (even my in-car camera fritzed ) it was a real pleasure to drive this thing as intended. Still shifting at 7,000 and generally treating it easy as I really like putting it back in the truck the way it came off. Had more seat time than previous meets, almost 4 hours. Here's a vid from the enduro... 32 cars pretty spread out, two teeners in the middle all by our selves and fairly matched.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A2L7Z_ZB4U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A2L7Z_ZB4U[/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

makes it look like an easy saturday afternoon boulevard stroll...what will ultimately be Max Revs?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Truthfully, Daytona is a pretty sterile place and kind of boring. For about half of each lap you could make phone calls or read a book.
    The facilities are the best part, having your own garage space is a luxury.

Max revs are 8200, we geared for 165 mph at Daytona... never exceeded 150.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Truthfully, Daytona is a pretty sterile place and kind of boring. For about half of each lap you could make phone calls or read a book.
    I was about to say, it does look really boring and i can't imagine how the NASCAR guys ride around there for 4 hrs. It looks like you had fun trying different lines into turn 1 going into the infield tho.

I've always been curious about historics, do you mess around with your set-up (i.e. tire pressures, suspension, brake bias, etc) or is it pretty much run what ya brung? I understand having to change the gearing, you don't wanna be redlining in between turns 1 and 2 of the oval.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I was about to say, it does look really boring and i can't imagine how the NASCAR guys ride around there for 4 hrs. It looks like you had fun trying different lines into turn 1 going into the infield tho.

I've always been curious about historics, do you mess around with your set-up (i.e. tire pressures, suspension, brake bias, etc) or is it pretty much run what ya brung? I understand having to change the gearing, you don't wanna be redlining in between turns 1 and 2 of the oval.
    Not a fan of ovals, but I do respect the skill NASCAR guys need to hustle 3500 lbs. at 200mph up to four wide at this or any superspeedway. One thing about the lower apron: don't touch it... bad things happen when two wheels are on the flat
    and two on the banking.

We're driving old cars but nobody just shows up and runs. Setup is critical to performance so everything is specific; besides gearing, suspension camber, toe and corner weights are especially important at a place like this. Brake bias is typically driver controlled, but I'd guess most never mess with it. Then there's tire choice... I've decided to run the car as in period so Goodyear bias-ply racing tires are it. I'm learning to appreciate their predictability, a useful quality in a mid-engined car.

Here's some of the few photos I took. Access is limited for even pro photographers, so amateur shutterbugs don't get close at all.
    Whoever has the fencing contract with this place is makin' some dough.
    Last edited by csl177; 11-18-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: photo swap

There was a local Ford club show infield, some nice Mustangs and a couple of Sunbeam Tigers.

We're driving old cars but nobody just shows up and runs. Setup is critical to performance so everything is specific; besides gearing, suspension camber, toe and corner weights are especially important at a place like this. Brake bias is typically driver controlled, but I'd guess most never mess with it.
    Very interesting, do you make runs and calculate your set up yourself or do you have someone that helps you out like a mechanic of sorts? And how far in advance do you get the car ready for the track?

The race support company that maintains and preps the car has track data for basic setup which is done in the shop before an event;
    first track day is always testing so we have a few sessions to dial it in. The service for a weekend includes mechanic/pit crew, catered breakfast & lunch, the truck has a driver's lounge, they even clean our suits and helmets. Basically, arrive and drive.

Depending on the race we may have as many as six cars & drivers in the "team".

The race support company that maintains and preps the car has track data for basic setup which is done in the shop before an event;
    first track day is always testing so we have a few sessions to dial it in. The service for a weekend includes mechanic/pit crew, catered breakfast & lunch, the truck has a driver's lounge, they even clean our suits and helmets. Basically, arrive and drive.

Depending on the race we may have as many as six cars & drivers in the "team".
    So basically, you own the car and if you wanna drop the money, you can leave it in their hands during the season and you get all of that in return? That's pretty wild, i assume there's no purse for winners in historic events but if there was i can imagine it'd be like any other form of motorsports, a team owns all of that and the car and they pay the driver to race for them. I had no idea historical events were nearly on this kind of a level

Correct... it's an expensive hobby. A typical 4-day race weekend is anywhere from $2500 to $6000, depending on travel and what you're racing. There are quite a few race services companies, UCP member johnnynumfiv works for Vintage Racing Services. Local to me are Predator Racing, 901 Shop and Klub Sport, which is who I use. Most companies buy, sell, restore and broker client cars, as well as
    rent race cars.

At the extremes of the hobby, there are guys running multi-million dollar rarities with full crews and support against the DIYer in his pride & joy Frogeye, DSR or Mallock. Comraderie and enthusiasm are the same regardless of budget.

At the extremes of the hobby, there are guys running multi-million dollar rarities with full crews and support against the DIYer in his pride & joy Frogeye, DSR or Mallock. Comraderie and enthusiasm are the same regardless of budget.
    Yeah, that's what led to my confusion, whenever i went to the Watkins Glen Historical Grand Prix, i saw actual big rig haulers for "teams" running multiple Shelby Mustangs, GT40's, E-Types etc. with tents and mechanics and the whole nine yards, even fancy motor homes and then on the way back we passed a very modest F-250 hauling two Ginettas on an open air trailer.

Watkins, VIR, Pittsburg GP, Road America, the Mitty Challenge...

A perfect example of a full boat event is Rennsport. Everyone that was invited spared no expense, it's sort of Goodwood for Porsche.
    There are maybe a dozen events per year that draw serious spectator support, and those fans of the cars are why many of us do this.

They're the stars. We just drive 'em.

Here's some footage of some troubles that befell some 911s at Daytona.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Here's some footage of some troubles that befell some 911s at Daytona.
    That was on Sunday. The guy in the yellow and purple 911 is my buddy Juan (Alter Ego)... he has a monster (2.0!) motor and knows the track, turns 2:06's (!). There's another tape by him that shows a red Elva (Team Mean) that is pure evil: no BMW 2 liter, but a BDA. These guys are 10 seconds per lap faster than us mid-pack cars.
    Last edited by csl177; 02-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Some may think the 914 is ugly, but I love the way they look.

Thread Information