Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camaro z28

Camaro z28

http://jalopnik.com/the-camaro-z-28-is-back-461112191

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285349

300lbs lighter than the zl1, z06 engine. This is basically my dream camaro. What does everyone think of this compared to the zl1, the boss 302, and the GT500?

Cliff notes:

Increased grip: The Z/28 is capable of 1.05 g in cornering acceleration, due to comprehensive chassis revisions
    Increased stopping power: the Z/28 features Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes capable of 1.5 g in deceleration, and consistent brake feel, lap after lap
    Reduced curb weight: The naturally aspirated Z/28 weighs 300 pounds less than the supercharged Camaro ZL1, with changes ranging from lightweight wheels to thinner rear-window glass

Camaro Z/28 chassis delivers 1.05 g in cornering grip

The singular focus of the Camaro Z/28 is most evident in the chassis, where the most has been made of every component for track use, from the ultra-high performance tires to race-proven dampers.

“We used the very best components in the industry to deliver uncompromised performance, lap after lap,” said Mark Stielow, Camaro Z/28 engineering manager. “We made nearly 200 changes to improve the track performance, which cumulatively make the Z/28 capable of 1.05 g in cornering. For perspective, with all other things, equal increasing maximum grip from 1 to 1.05 g can cut up to four seconds per lap.”

The Camaro Z/28 is the one of the first production cars fitted with race-proven, spool-valve dampers. Compared to a conventional damper that offers only two-way tuning for bump and rebound, a spool-valve damper allows four-way adjustment to precisely tune both bump and rebound settings for high-speed and low-speed wheel motions. The wider tuning range allowed engineers to dramatically increase the damper stiffness on the Camaro Z/28 without a significant change in ride quality. Additional chassis changes include stiffer string rates and suspension bushings for improved cornering response.

The Camaro Z/28 features 19-inch diameter wheels and tires, which reduce unsprung weight by 42 pounds (19 kilograms) per car compared to the 20-inch wheels standard on Camaro SS and ZL1. In addition, the smaller diameter wheels lower the center of gravity by 33 millimeters, further improving handling.

At all four corners, the lightweight, forged aluminum wheels are wrapped in massive 305/30ZR19 tires. This is the first production application of ultra-high performance Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tires, and believed to be the widest front tire on any production car.

To fully exploit the grip of the Pirelli tires, the Camaro Z/28 also features Brembo Carbon Ceramic Matrix™ rotors and fixed, monoblock calipers. The large 394 x 36 mm front rotors are paired with six-piston calipers, while the 390 x 32 mm rear rotors are paired four-piston calipers. Compared to similar-size, two-piece steel rotors, the lightweight carbon discs save 28 pounds (12.5 kilograms) per car.

The combination of tire grip and braking power enable the Camaro Z/28 to achieve up to 1.5 g in deceleration. With standard front brake cooling ducts, the Z/28 is also capable of continuous track use unmatched brake feel, lap after lap.

“What makes the Z/28 so addictive is it inspires confidence through every section on the track,” said Stielow. “The incredible, balanced performance helps you carry much more speed through every corner: the brakes are so good you can adjust your braking points later and later; the grip and suspension damping allows you to carry more speed through the apex; and then the limited slip allows you to make the most of the LS7 as you power out of the corner.”

Extensive lightweighting saved 300 pounds over the Camaro ZL1

To optimize the track performance of the Camaro Z/28, the engineering team subjected it to an intensive lightweighting program, saving 100 pounds (45 kilograms) compared to the naturally aspirated Camaro SS and 300 pounds (136 kilograms) to the supercharged Camaro ZL1.

“We looked at every subsystem for opportunities to save weight,” said Oppenheiser. “Our goal was to get rid of everything that didn’t make the car faster, and keep only what was required by law. For example, we wanted to eliminate the audio system completely, but we had to keep a single speaker for the seat-belt chime to meet safety requirements.”

Other examples of weight savings include:

Eliminated the tire-inflator kit, except for Rhode Island and New Hampshire, where it is required by law
    Removed interior sound deadener, and carpeting from the trunk
    Replaced the standard LN4 battery with a smaller, lightweight, LN3 battery
    Specified thinner, 3.2-mm glass for the rear window, compared to 3.5-mm glass on the standard Camaro
    HID headlamps and foglights are not available
    Air conditioning is only available as a stand-alone option

“The team was so fanatical about saving weight, we even stripped the unused wiring out of the harness when we eliminated the fog lights, speakers, and air conditioning,” said Oppenheiser. “Every ounce saved contributed to making this the most track-capable Camaro we have ever built, and a worthy successor to the Z/28 name.”
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 03-27-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Love the specs, but not a fan of the aero enhancements, though I hope we see the work done on the grille and headlights on other models, that just plain looks mean. I think it ups the game as well.

I do, however, think the Mustang is still a better choice as an all-arounder. We don't live our lives on the track, and the Mustang is a more practical car for the other parts of our lives, which still has to count for something when laying down that much money for a car.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Curious as to how much it'll cost. The spec is astonishing quite frankly, if it has to slot in between 1LE and ZL1, then it'll be in the high 40s low 50s. Which would make it easily the cheapest car you can get carbon ceramic brake on....

Its interesting for the Camaro line up now. Each one of their model is sitting at some pretty attractive price point. 1LE is as fast as a Boss 302 for less, ZL1 is cheaper than a GT500(no doubt many other similar performance car). And this thing will be stealing sales from C7s....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The Camaro is fat boat. So taking it as a base for a lightweight track special is a bit of an oxymoron.

However, it still is the cheapest V8 in Europe.

A shame that the restyling has ruined it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    And this thing will be stealing sales from C7s....
    Might be reason enough for GM to shelve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The Camaro is fat boat. So taking it as a base for a lightweight track special is a bit of an oxymoron.
    Makes more sense than Jag's new "extreme track car"....and probably way faster...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    300lbs lighter than the zl1, z06 engine. This is basically my dream camaro. What does everyone think of this compared to the zl1, the boss 302, and the GT500?
    I would grab the 302 over all of them... And a base no option GT over that.

However, LS7.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Love the specs, but not a fan of the aero enhancements, though I hope we see the work done on the grille and headlights on other models, that just plain looks mean. I think it ups the game as well.
    100%. I wanted to like the looks of the 5th Gen, but I thought it was a bit bleh. This polishes the design a lot and really seems to modernize and actually freshen it. Imagine a refresh refreshing the design!

I do, however, think the Mustang is still a better choice as an all-arounder. We don't live our lives on the track, and the Mustang is a more practical car for the other parts of our lives, which still has to count for something when laying down that much money for a car.
    This would be up against the 302 or 302 LS though, which are fairly impractical.

Curious as to how much it'll cost. The spec is astonishing quite frankly, if it has to slot in between 1LE and ZL1, then it'll be in the high 40s low 50s. Which would make it easily the cheapest car you can get carbon ceramic brake on....
    I was - to borrow an apt Britishism - gobsmacked to see those. How much of percentage increase will that ticked box represent!?

Agreed, but this is a good problem to have. We are nitpicking about an awesome performance car that is part of a cool model in a reborn American pony segment, among a few cheap import thrills (Genesis Coupe, Toyota FR-Z 86), all of which are RWD and semi-attainable for the youths. Viva la speed revolaucion!

However, it still is the cheapest V8 in Europe.[/QUOTE]

[quote=Ferrer;993864]Luckily, commulandia is irrelevant. No one can afford even 1 litre of gasoline when 40% of the population will be under/unemployed, 30% are in jobs, and the rest on strike!

A shame that the restyling has ruined it.
    No.

This was kept well underwraps by GM. I love being surprised by news like this ala the Veneno. Leaks and the dripfeed are so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I would grab the 302 over all of them... And a base no option GT over that.
    Base no option GT for me as well. Now if only I could dump the a/c and power accessories...

This would be up against the 302 or 302 LS though, which are fairly impractical.
    Still, the 'Stang has better build quality and better outward visibility than the Camaro. That alone counts for a lot on the commute.

That's how much it weights in kilogrammes. Which for lightweight trackday special is about 500kg too much.
    Makes more sense than Jag's new "extreme track car"....and probably way faster...
    I thought the XKR-S was a preposterous idea, but I agree that the GT is even worse. What's a big wing doing on the back of a Jaguar? Also between catastrophic and torture I wonder how bad will the ride be...
    Agreed, but this is a good problem to have. We are nitpicking about an awesome performance car that is part of a cool model in a reborn American pony segment, among a few cheap import thrills (Genesis Coupe, Toyota FR-Z 86), all of which are RWD and semi-attainable for the youths. Viva la speed revolaucion!
    Oh, I still want one, but I do not need the bondage gear and hardcore track-oriented hardware. Probably 1LE with the LS7 would be enough.

It doesn't fit in any proper mountain road anyway.

And by the way, we are getting the next-gen Mustang, if it has about the same size as the current model it could turn out to be really interesting.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Might also be available in EU with turbo 4 banger....

Random Z28 factoid, it uses same type of damper as Aston Martin One-77. Multimatic's Dynamic Suspension DSSV dampers.(yay Canada?). Those are the only 2 OEM road car that uses it...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Still, the 'Stang has better build quality and better outward visibility than the Camaro. That alone counts for a lot on the commute.
    I disagree on the build quality part. I test drove both cars back to back more times than I can count when I bought my SS. I thought the Mustang was much more fun to drive but my wife preferred the camaro because it was a little more comfortable and nicer on the inside. The interior materials on the camaro seem to have a better fit/finish IMO and the car feels much more solid when going over bumps, every day driving. My wife's parents own a Ford dealership and she has never owned anything but a ford but she preferred the ride, interior, and comfort of the camaro so much that she was willing to forgo the employee discount we would have received on the mustang.

I can't argue on the visibility part.

As far as practicality goes, that was a tie for me. The mustang is a little smaller and a little less comfortable for long drives and the back seats have a 50/50 pass through. But, the back seat is two buckets so you can't put a car seat in the middle. The camaro's visibility sucks and the trunk is nearly inaccessible. However, you can put a car seat in the middle without sacrificing front leg room and its roomier and a better GT car so practicality is a toss up. Unless of course you are over 6ft tall, then the camaro's lack of headroom becomes a problem.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Also as far as the comment for This being an answer for 302 or 302 LS. The SS 1LE is already as fast as a 302....supposedly this is 3 sec faster around GM's proving ground at Milford compare to ZL1....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

As much as I respect the Z/28 I find it a touch hilarious that it weighs as much as an Integra Type R and a Lotus 7 combined.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    I disagree on the build quality part. I test drove both cars back to back more times than I can count when I bought my SS. I thought the Mustang was much more fun to drive but my wife preferred the camaro because it was a little more comfortable and nicer on the inside. The interior materials on the camaro seem to have a better fit/finish IMO and the car feels much more solid when going over bumps, every day driving. My wife's parents own a Ford dealership and she has never owned anything but a ford but she preferred the ride, interior, and comfort of the camaro so much that she was willing to forgo the employee discount we would have received on the mustang.
    Well, all I have heard was anecdotal. Squeaks and rattles and such at low mileages. I have spend a total of, maybe, an hour in the current Mustang, and a total of about 45 seconds in one of the Camaros. So, as LeVar Burton said in Reading Rainbow...don't you take my word for it!

The aero enhancements seem to make me drool for this car.

steve barbarich
    Last edited by owenspeliza; 04-08-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    "You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind."

Thread Information