Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hot rod duesenberg

hot rod duesenberg

I was honored with an invite to a private function in which the owner displayed some of his wonderful cars along his waterfront property.

The highlight for me was his hot rod Duesenberg. Evidently the owner found a Duesenberg chassis in the 50's. He located a Duesy motor in a Californian hot rod. He then commissioned Mr Northport, former designer for Duesenberg to pen a body for this unique car. Then he commissioned a well know boat builder to construct the body using mahagony.

The results were stunning, including the use of Ostraich leather for the interior. I believe this car took home a trophy from Pebble Beach several years back.

regards

ken

I love the used materials, beautifull!

Thanks for sharing

pitiful. hate the car.

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat081992 View Post
    pitiful. hate the car.
    Care to explain? It's a work of art to me.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

It sits slightly too low, but other than that it looks very nice. What's the red car behind it?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

That's an absolute beauty.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Ken, do you have any information regarding engine and chassis number? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    What's the red car behind it?
    Isn't it an Alfa 6C 1750?

As for the Duesenberg, I think a wheelbase is a bit too short for Duesey. Because of this it strongly reminds me of MG TD.

I'm not sure about the rear. That aside I like it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Alfa

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It sits slightly too low, but other than that it looks very nice. What's the red car behind it?
    That is an Alfa. As someone mentioned, I believe a 1750 6c. I could be wrong. This was a party setting, no printed info to go with the cars. Merely the owner and his son walking around, talking about the cars and sharing good wine and freshly shucked oysters from the bay.

As far as the proportions of the Duesy, it kind of reminds me of a cartoon from the 30's with a big bad wolf driving around in a simular car. But then again, when you see this car in person, it wows you from the craftsmenship and concept standpoint. The owner built it from scratch to his tastes and desires. And it does get driven. The owner also had an MG TD there and believe me, from a size and stature viewpoint, you would not consider the 2 related.

Now there's a hot rod Bugatti of his that I should show you as well....

Here are a couple of the Alfa.

cheers

ken

Last edited by kvisser; 02-26-2008 at 05:56 AM.

That's an 8C for sure. The eight exhaust pipes give it away. I love that skiff!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
    That is an Alfa. As someone mentioned, I believe a 1750 6c. I could be wrong.
    Just check whether you have an engine shot which shows more of the light grey vertical bulkhead near the steering column. Normally it is the location of the factory identification plate....

I love Duesenbergs. This one just goes to reinforce that. Excellent looking car and excellent craftsmanship.

The rest of his collection looks exceptional as well.

unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Just check whether you have an engine shot which shows more of the light grey vertical bulkhead near the steering column. Normally it is the location of the factory identification plate....
    Unfortunately, I didn't shoot to document the cars. I shot to enjoy the cars. Next time I will spend more time getting the details. The owner is rather shy about anyone knowing about his collection but willing to share in certain venues.

I would highly recommend anyone in the mid atlantic area consider coming to the St Michael's concours d'elegance this year. I believe it will be on October 5th. This will be the second year and only previous concours winners will be invited. I'll post some pictures of the 07 concours in a separate post.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of the Hispano Suiza Skiff car. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot this car in good light as of yet. It is another spectacular car, built from various components, from scratch, as far as I know.

regards

ken

Wow ! Fabulous !

Thread Information