Thread: The influence of the cold weather on the tyre pressure

The influence of the cold weather on the tyre pressure

We have a 2004 Renault Megane Grand Tour and our computer told us last weekend that we had a too low tyre pressure on the left front tyre. I asked my dad if he perhaps knew why it was and he told me he thought it might had to do with the cold weather. (the temprature wasn't been over 0 celcius for almost three days.)

So, does cold weather has influence on the tyre pressure?
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Jamaica, New York, USA... for now, out in the DR studyin!
    i might b wrong, but i think cold weather has something to do with tyre pressure, its probably the same problem with my mom's car back in nyc, that only when its cold, tyre pressure drops. if i understand the logic correctly, it is that since its colder, the air gets denser, and therefore, takes up less space, as compared to when u heat it up, its volume will increase, when its in a closed 'container' in this case the tyre. if that logic is correct, then it is the cold weather that has something to do with it. if im wrong, anyone feel free to correct me.
    WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by car_fiend
    i might b wrong, but i think cold weather has something to do with tyre pressure, its probably the same problem with my mom's car back in nyc, that only when its cold, tyre pressure drops. if i understand the logic correctly, it is that since its colder, the air gets denser, and therefore, takes up less space, as compared to when u heat it up, its volume will increase, when its in a closed 'container' in this case the tyre. if that logic is correct, then it is the cold weather that has something to do with it. if im wrong, anyone feel free to correct me.
    I dont need to correct you.100% right. I use this rule for my bike wheels to keep them at just under the max.allowed level:
    -octobre -1st winter inflate
    -decembre-2nd winter inflate
    -january- if needed 3rd winter inflate
    -april- 1st deflate slightly
    -may- 2nd deflate slightly

The water content in the air affects it too. In cars it shouldn't have much effect, a bike (I believe) is a different matter entirely! It's why F1 teams (and probably a lot of circuit racers) fill there tyres with nitrogen from a canister.

Thread Information