Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leyland P76

few snippets

I never actually owned a P76, though I was trying to source an engine for a speedboat once and came close to buying a P76 engined Kombi a few years back (previous owner said that it'd wheelstand with the low geared 1600 gearbox), but my brother in law did have one.

Two possible points of interest, Evan Green's book about the London to Sydney Rally in a P76 was called "a boot full of right arms", really interesting read if you can find it, and I went to school with the nephew of the P76 designer, apparently the reason for the humungous boot was that it was designed to swallow a 44 gallon drum, not something most boots would do.

BTW: While the P76 was funtional fugly, personally I always found the Force 7 a massively stupid mistake.

FWIW
    Last edited by neale; 01-31-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neale View Post
    I never actually owned a P76, though I was trying to source an engine for a speedboat once and came close to buying a P76 engined Kombi a few years back (previous owner said that it'd wheelstand with the low geared 1600 gearbox), but my brother in law did have one.

Two possible points of interest, Evan Green's book about the London to Sydney Rally in a P76 was called "a boot full of right arms", really interesting read if you can find it, and I went to school with the nephew of the P76 designer, apparently the reason for the humungous boot was that it was designed to swallow a 44 gallon drum, not something most boots would do.

BTW: While the P76 was funtional fugly, personally I always found the Force 7 a massively stupid mistake.

FWIW
    LOL, that was the advertising quote I believe. You can fit a 44 gallon drum in it. Brought about by the perception by car manufacturers that Aussies needed to fit 3 adults across the back seat (coz every family has 5 adults) and being able to fit a house in the boot.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Sydney, Australia - in a Castle in the Hills
    Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    LOL, that was the advertising quote I believe. You can fit a 44 gallon drum in it. Brought about by the perception by car manufacturers that Aussies needed to fit 3 adults across the back seat (coz every family has 5 adults) and being able to fit a house in the boot.
    I did a bit of Googling and found this photo of a P76 with a 44 gallon drum in the boot - and there are quite a few other interesting car photos in the album too: Flickr: Ferenghi's Photostream
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information