Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Aurion AT-X and Holden Commodore VE Omega Road Tested by MSN

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    On Auto Commodores it shouldn't be an issue.

and anyway, the red line takes away from the aesthetic, daaaahling.
    Ah so Ms Gabor but do they equip manuals with the 'luxury' of a redline, daaaahlink

Revving is so unfashionable, Daaaahlingk
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    On Auto Commodores it shouldn't be an issue.
    Except boys will be boys and rev the crap out of the thing by changing manually - especially if its a rental car.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

A wonderful story MSN has failed to relate here is that of the "gentleman" in the EL Falcon. Actions of the EL owner are as we viewed them, his thinking can only be guessed at, but this version fits the observed actions.

As we left Murray Bridge and headed back towards Adelaide with MSN behind the wheel and me doing the incredibly difficult job of reading the UBD, we took a right at a T intersection and accelerated hard to get try and find some shove in the back at any speed (pretty non-existent).

The EL owner was behind us and as he had been tail gating us on the way to the intersection and obviously took offence to our test and decided this was an offence to his masculinity.

After this right turn the road grew more twisty and the handling of the VE allows it to negotiate this this with ease at well above posted recommended speeds on the corners.

To prevent this attack on his honour and to "rectify" the natural order of things he was pushing the EL to the limit to stay with us (we were doing it easy). The EL was pitching, bucking and having trouble staying in his lane. We were watching this in the mirror with with great amusement but MSN's levels of concern for the driver were growing.

After watching the EL attempt to understeer into a bank MSN slowed to help prevent an accident and then on the 1st straight stretch the EL passed us with the driver on the phone (telling his friends the Falcon was still better?) and proceeded to continue talking on it even when drifting onto the wrong side of the road over a blind crest.

Unsurprisingly the EL's pace dropped dramatically once past us to one it could corner comfortable at without risking a crash, unfortunately a much slower 380 got in between us at a side street and the was the last we saw of the EL.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

HAHA! wish i could have seen that
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Did he have a pie in the other hand?

Otherwise he just wasn't trying hard enough.

Nota originally posted

Btw from MSN's pics I note than Holden has disappointingly followed Falcon's unwelcome trend in no longer gracing their tachos (and their owners) with a redline
    Thats what rev limiters are for

Cyco originally posted

The EL owner was behind us and as he had been tail gating us on the way to the intersection and obviously took offence to our test and decided this was an offence to his masculinity.
    Plenty of bogan rednecks in SA, they seem to have a chip on their shoulders if your driving a better car or a Telstra vehichle. Had an EF Falcoon years ago when you tried to hustle it at speed the damper rates front to rear seem completley different and roll steer come into play, not very enjoyable.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Btw from MSN's pics I note than Holden has disappointingly followed Falcon's unwelcome trend in no longer gracing their tachos (and their owners) with a redline
    I remember Ford's original reason not to include a redline was that so many people had a different opinion of where to start it, so they left it out all together. Well, that's what Wheels stated a few years ago.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

It could possibly be because the Sports and Comfort Settings use a different revline, so the switchable transmissions MSN was talking about might be another cause.

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    I remember Ford's original reason not to include a redline was that so many people had a different opinion of where to start it, so they left it out all together. Well, that's what Wheels stated a few years ago.
    Engine damage is a fact, not an opinion, so surely the rev-limit starts at a level below where the oiling system (or conrod bolts, or whatever) give up?
    Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Thats what rev limiters are for
    To me it's a telling sign that 'local manufacturers' are happy to equip their various models with equally various Korean built head/tail-light assemblies, but won't scab up for specific (also Korean built) instrument packs to suit their less than various powertrain combos
    Plenty of bogan rednecks in SA, they seem to have a chip on their shoulders if your driving a better car or a Telstra vehichle. Had an EF Falcoon years ago when you tried to hustle it at speed the damper rates front to rear seem completley different and roll steer come into play, not very enjoyable.
    Telstra vehicle = ego threat? .. oh my

The wife's Ford ED has a reco (sports?) frontend, but gee the F/R spring rates are worlds apart. As pointed out by others, the two trailing arms on each side of those Watts-Link Falcons are way different in length, so if the rear is soft enough and you get it leaned over, it's inevitable .. roll-steer city

Fortunately our ED is quite firmly suspended (moreso than was our old high-mileage XF) so roll-steer doesn't rear its ugly head, at least not yet! Btw imho it seems a better handler & better balanced than VN/VS live-axle Commos

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Easy enough to explain. While the Toyota develops peak torque at 4700rpm, it has a large percentage of this torque available from low rpm. I'd have to search for the torque curve figures, but it felt like at least 70% of the torque was available from just under 2000rpm. Also, with a six speed gearbox, the Toyota has more ratios available to ensure it is less likely to fall into a hole in its torque curve.
    What interested me more was the Commodore's figures. The didn't feel that torquey low down and it didn't like been revved to 6000 rpm where it developed its max power. And with only a four-speed transmission, it was caught out of its torque/power band more easily.
    I get 90% off idle
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    Yeah, MSN gives brilliant reviews.:

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Yep he sure does, and significantly he pays out of his own pocket to obtain the cars, test them and deliver these excellent, realistic & well written reviews to us .. thanks MSN!

Maybe these outfits should consider engaging the services of MSN in their appraisal process, instead of employing yet more 'cadet editor' journos that are exuded (sausage fashion) fresh out of professional writing school?

Thanks for the kind comments guys.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    A wonderful story MSN has failed to relate here is that of the "gentleman" in the EL Falcon. Actions of the EL owner are as we viewed them, his thinking can only be guessed at, but this version fits the observed actions.

As we left Murray Bridge and headed back towards Adelaide with MSN behind the wheel and me doing the incredibly difficult job of reading the UBD, we took a right at a T intersection and accelerated hard to get try and find some shove in the back at any speed (pretty non-existent).

After this right turn the road grew more twisty and the handling of the VE allows it to negotiate this this with ease at well above posted recommended speeds on the corners.

To prevent this attack on his honour and to "rectify" the natural order of things he was pushing the EL to the limit to stay with us (we were doing it easy). The EL was pitching, bucking and having trouble staying in his lane. We were watching this in the mirror with with great amusement but MSN's levels of concern for the driver were growing.

After watching the EL attempt to understeer into a bank MSN slowed to help prevent an accident and then on the 1st straight stretch the EL passed us with the driver on the phone (telling his friends the Falcon was still better?) and proceeded to continue talking on it even when drifting onto the wrong side of the road over a blind crest.

Unsurprisingly the EL's pace dropped dramatically once past us to one it could corner comfortable at without risking a crash, unfortunately a much slower 380 got in between us at a side street and the was the last we saw of the EL.
    The guy was a loony. I own an EL of the same vintage, except that mine has a Tickford suspension and this one was quite definately bog standard GLi spec. The EL can keep up with the VE Omega in a straight line, being much lighter and more having more torque, but no way an EL, even one fitted with Tickford suspension and wider tyres let alone the fleet spec GLI, is going to keep up with any of the latest CommFalc380Aurion's on a twisty road. Suspension technology has advanced significanty in the last 10 years since the EL was released.
    This particular genius was determined to keep up. Every corner looked like an accident waiting to happen. I reckon that as soon as he got the chance to pass he pulled out his mobile and rang his Ford loving mate and said "Dude, you'll never believe it. I just overtook this VE. They're a heap of s**t, the old EL kept up no worries."
    Course, he could've just been a really bad driver and discussing what to have for dinner with his wife....

Pretty good read there. Being the avid Ford supporter i am, it comes as a delight to see the VE outdone by the Aurion, but theres also sadness in having the Falcon rated last, albeit in a close bunch.

I look forward to whatever's next.
    I am the Stig

Nota originally posted

Telstra vehicle = ego threat? .. oh my
    No ego threat, they just seem to think thats its the field workforces fault for high bills, lack of mobile/broadband service etc. Even the 1800 my driving sucks stickers are abused a fair bit by the public, putting in false reports etc.
    As I tell people once telstra is fully privatised and the universal service agreement is null and void, then the service will really improve
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Thread Information