Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Vette

Quote Originally Posted by "Clevor" Angel
    Its almost too hard to believe that a stock, American made, iron 427 powered, fiberglass bodied $6,000 corvette can go faster in the 1/4 mile AND be almost as fast at the end of it as the $1.8 million Bugatti Veyron.
    A very powerful engine, relatively low weight (not much over 3,000 lbs) and very low gearing (probably 4.56 or 4.88).

A '67 Nickey Camaro 427, with 4.88 gears and weighing 3,325 lbs, also could run well into the 11s:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    No it doesnt.
    then why, in an American review of the new SRT-10, did the reviewer say that when you hammer it, it goes from 1st to 2nd no probs, but going easy, the gearbox wants to go to 4th? Sounds the same as the GM thing. I can post the review if you don't believe me

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    then why, in an American review of the new SRT-10, did the reviewer say that when you hammer it, it goes from 1st to 2nd no probs, but going easy, the gearbox wants to go to 4th? Sounds the same as the GM thing. I can post the review if you don't believe me
    Ive never heard that before...
    Post the review for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Ive never heard that before...
    Post the review for me.
    i read the same review - apparently if you hammer it there's no problem.
    burn rubber off the line and it slips form first to second with the ease of flicking a light switch. but ease gently away from that stop light, and some inner-transmission demon takes control and directs you from first to fourth in a futile attempt to improve fuel economy. it has the car chugging like an oiled-up two stroke, and you looking a complete prat to the passenger beside you.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Does the CAGS system assume, because the vehical is not under hard excelleration, that the user may be driving for mileage? The Viper has immense torque across the powerband and entering 4 gear at a relitively low engine speed would not be an issue because of that. It would just shrug it off and go.

I love all years. Yes even the 47 of 1983's that were built. It's like say one of your children is better than your other child. They all have there own little quirks about them. That's what gives them character. Corvette is a great part of American history. The evolution to the new Z06 didn't come over night. It took all the technology of the privious Vette's to make it what it is today. The Dodge Viper doesn't have the history and development that Corvette has. Don't get me wrong I like Viper's and would love to own one. But I'd take a new Z06 in my stable before the Viper.
    WWW.TonyGPhotography.NET

C6: Z06
    C5: Guldstrand
    C4: Gran Sport
    C3: Indy Pace Car
    C2: 1964-66 body style
    C1: 1958-60 body style

72 Rag-top.....

I saw one at a custom car show with a 427-TT OMG that thing looked sixk and it was fast!(I saw/heard him leave)

the zo6 is by far the baddest production vette to have been assembled
    Last edited by MILORD♣; 02-22-2006 at 02:44 PM.

coolest

This is the best corvette ( with the zo6 in a close second )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    That's the infamous 2-4 skip-shift, a little thing that they do in the T-56 gearbox that's supposed to save fuel by bypassing 3rd and kicking you into fourth during normal driving. It doesn't net you anything in gas mileage, and is pretty annoying, so anybody with that tranny (Camaro, Vette, Viper) typically gets it de-activated.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Lookswise, has to be the C3 Vette. It's shapely like a woman's body. Too bad the smog nazis had their hands in the later models of this. Better get a '69 or '70 I guess.

I can't say much for C1, C2, or C4 Vettes, they're kind of ugly to me. The C5 and C6 Vettes look much better, not to mention are a quantum leap in performance, although the C5 and C6 look so similar I can't tell 'em apart but for the headlights.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by directinjection
    I would have to agree with the claim that Viper007 makes about the new Z06. It's pumping at least 530 horsepower at the crank. But, the Viper SRT-10 coupe claims an output of 510 horsepower when the dyno contends over 530. Both engines are grossly under rated; it's a manufacturer game.

Ya I saw a video for a guy that put a stage 1 cam in his 06' Z06 Vette and it was pushing like 630HP. Then he hit the NOS and hit 710 HP

If GM underrated the HP on the 06 Z06, I give them credit. Normally they over inflate the HP on many of the other makes and models. Being that it is a corvette though, I doubt they would give underestimated figures because corvette owners will test it for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacerN
    If GM underrated the HP on the 06 Z06, I give them credit. Normally they over inflate the HP on many of the other makes and models. Being that it is a corvette though, I doubt they would give underestimated figures because corvette owners will test it for themselves.
    Good point. After the backlash from the inflated numbers for the Mustang Cobra a couple of years back, performance car numbers should be in anything underrated.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information