Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 1980s cars can be regarded as classics?

Lancia Stratos was a 70's car.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    uh, i think you've misunderstood your own thread a little bit.

In no way is a camaro or corvette rare enough to be considered a classic. In addition, they are poor excuses for their older brothers from the 60s and even the 70s. In 10 or 15 more years when a good example is indeed rare, then maybe I would reconsider your comment. Just to lay out an example, I counted some 58 camaros between 30 miles north of the NC/South Carolina border and Myrtle beach. Seemed like everybody had at least one in their backyard. We stopped the game when we spotted an IROC.
    I disagree, an early 80's version on any of those American muscle cars could be considered a classic, as long as it had a V-8
    To Some, a rusted out 1989 GMC Suburban* is trash

But to Me, its home

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    I see classics as ANY car, no matter the age, that was special, and changed cars altogether. The STi, LanEvo, and RX-8 I see as classics be cause they proved that an everyday sports car can have 4 doors.

CRX: One of the first real FWD sports cars that could out-handle nearly anthing.

Grand National: A turbo-six is rare from an american manufactuer, and that made the just GN so much cooler. It was the quickest american car made in the 80's and it did 0-60 times in the low 5's, and the GNX did it in 4.6 seconds! The GN was and still is the ULTIMATE sleeper; all black, and a stock interior inseprible from a run-of-the-mill Buick.

DMC-12: The most optimistic car and the most ahead of it's time. Sure it was a piece, but who cares?

What makes a classic car?

http://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk...esource=445818

can somebody use the ten steps for other cars . i'm to lazy ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Well i think thats far to biased about the ferrari i doubt everyone would give it a 10 for damn near everything...and a 10 for style on the E-type? ye gawds...

lol .. uk magazine biased .. to italian cars .. LOL.. it must really deserve those 10s
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    ...and a 10 for style on the E-type? ye gawds...
    It is the original '61 3.8 and not the lardy-assed US-market ones that came later (4.2) !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    it actually happens that every continent had duds during the decade, the Citroen BX and Toyota Cressida come to mind as majors, but all in all it was a decade of advancement.
    As I have been driving 4 BX's in my life I have to disaggree with the qualification you give here. It was really a very spacious and comfortable car with its unique suspension, and with the turbo diesel engine quite performing as well. I would not mind driving the 16 valve version which poured out a healthy 160+ BHP with a kerb weight below 1100 kg.

As for my choice of classics, MSnerd gave a nice list, mine would include the Lancia Delta Integrale, the Fiat Abarth Ritmo/Strada, the Citroen XM, (the CX was already from the mid seventies) and of course the Alpine 310/610, the Porsche 924GT Turbo, the Maserati Biturbo, and the Ferrari 288GTO, even more so than the F40, the Ford Sierra Cosworth and possibly a few more.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It is the original '61 3.8 and not the lardy-assed US-market ones that came later (4.2) !!
    Well call me bised but there funny looking nahh they arnt bad looking and suprsingly aredynamic but great looking nahhhh....
    Also some cars will not become classics for many years to come....even your average vintage dunger is a classic to some extent nowdats say for example if a mitsubishi starion survived 60 years (notice how i said if) it will be a classic of some description and will show a large strak of individuality....now look at the statts the starion was a good car...came standard with leather intior and electric window which was a paying option on most cars...and the price while hefty for the car (imho) was still quite level with our XE ESP (for lack of a more international example) it had a track record....granted a good portion was blowing turbos up but in the later years in group A like when Bradly jones manged to make the carlast a race got some very good results....and it also went like stink on the road too....

Sowill my eaxmplebe a classic in 10-20 years time...possibly int he latter part but will it become a classic in 30-40 most probably...hell even some of the worst pommy cars we got here in australia have made their way into classic mags...(leyland p76,marina,tr7 etc etc) i dont know if you may agree with but but i think that given enough time anything can become a classic...

...hell even some of the worst pommy cars we got here in australia have made their way into classic mags...(leyland p76,marina,tr7 etc etc) i dont know if you may agree with but but i think that given enough time anything can become a classic...
    Come on The only Marina to make it into classic cars is the one painted like General Lee ! That's only in for the humour.

NO WAY is a Marina or an Allegro EVER going to be classic.
    Rare, yes but desirable - never.

There are thousands of cars made over the last 100 years that have just disappeared into oblivion deservedly so.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I like that chart- with some arguments, including desirable when new. It seems, to me at least, that a lot of cars that were not quite incredibly desirable when they came out, will (or could) be in several years.

I'd like to offer the E30 m3, if it wasn't mentioned already, will definately be a classic.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    I consider lots of '80s cars to be classics, including mine, the Nissan S12-series Silvia (200SX in the U.S., Gazelle in Australia).
    Other '80s Classics, IMO, include the MkII Supra, Ferrari 308/328, the 86-89 Honda Accord which skyrocketed the model into prominence, the Lamborghini Countach which was the ultimate supercar for most of the '80s, the first-generation RX-7, the BMW 6-series, the Jaguar XJS, and of course the AE86.
    I don't know much about the others, but locally at where i live, the only car it will come over their mind if you randomly ask somebody about what car in the '80s can be counted as a clasic, they will say its the Hachiroku.

Maybe its my personal taste, but it is never out of style. I get tired of new cars with fancy modern design very quick(with a few exception), but i never get tired looking at the old Hachiroku.

Performance wise, 130PS with 1.6liter 4AGE on a sub 1000kg car. Not to mention about the LSD. I have no info about American cars here, but if you compare the 18 year old car with all the new cars made in malaysia, mainly the Protons, the Hachiroku still shines. You are using new technology to compete with a 18 year old and you still lose. The only two cars that can outperform the Hachiroku will be the 2liter V6 Perdana (20ps extra) and the Satria GTI (recently won a race in the Australia production car race, superb handling at wet condition), but if you swap a 20v 4AGE inside that Hachiroku then everything is gone, the Hachiroku wins all.

Btw the price for the Hachiroku is sky rocketing here.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ
    How about some pics, specs and prices

Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ

A what?

A what?
    Hachiroku, literally "eighty-six" in Japanese. Refers to the AE86-platform Toyota Trueno/Levin/Corolla. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in the U.S. it was available from 1985-87 under the names Corolla SR-5 and Corolla GT-S. Coupe and hatchback body styles, with the hatch being the most desirable.
    It's very light, RWD, and packs a classic 4A-GE under the hood. Considered by some to be the world's best drift car, but has been a bit over-hyped by the Japanese street-racing cartoon series, Initial D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Thread Information