Thread: Buying first car

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying first car

So I got my license three weeks ago and the giant cloud of irony finally lifted off my shoulders. Now this brings me to the obvious question of the first car. What should I get?

Frankly, I'm not too picky so as long as it has a manual (because I need to prove my masculinity). The main obstacle is not so much price but rather insurance. I've heard that it's often astronomical, but so far my quotes for 6-mo. policies are less than 500 for the '09 Camry I've done most of my driving in. Not chump change, but not exactly the $1000s I've been hearing about. I live in a bike-dominated town and live across the street from a grocery store, so I won't be able to/need a car so often and that cuts down my mileage to about 1000 a year. That, and I've chosen the bare minimum under California law.

I've got a few choices lined up, but keep in mind that it's probably not going to be for another year at least, so it's an ever changing list. It's going to be living outside as I don't have a heated garage or even a car port, so cheaper is better. <$5k USD perhaps.

Recommendations/advice would be nice.

But enough about my problems. What was your first car and how was it? Still have it - or why'd you sell it? More importantly, what crazy sh*t did you do with it?
    Last edited by kingofthering; 08-05-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information