Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in my own wheels. But which?

I've had sort of a change of mind.

I'll explain the situation further, see what's your opinion on the subject.

For quite long and complicated reasons I own an apartment in Blanes, some 90kms north of Barcelona. I'm slowly refurbishing it and my plan is to go to live there (possibly). So potentially it is a 180km daily commute, hence the sensible diesel. However, refurbishing the house exepnsive and therefore it's probably going to take some time. So therefore the potential 180km daily commute could still be a year or two away (maybe more or maybe I never move there, I use it as a summer apartment...).

So right now, I only use the car in the weekends or for leisure basically. So that actually means I don't need to use it all if I do not want it or have access to it, or for some reasin I did not have access. Truth be told I don't really need a car (in the strict sense of the word need). But it does give me freedom and I can afford it.

I'm planning to lease (so the budget is only indicative, then) and I prefer a new car, since nearly-new cars are almost as expensive as new ones and I simply do not want the fuss of a proper second hand, used, car. I also have free access to two rather practical cars (i30 and Delta).

So how about this for an idea. The cars in the original post are pretty much the same as what I already drive (except for the diesel) and having would mean more of the same. So how about lowering my budget a bit (monthly payments) to have something that I could enjoy, even if that could mean slitghly higher running costs (basically fuel, which could be somewhat compensated by the lower monthly payments)?

I'm thinking about cars like the Renault Wind, a basic Abarth 500, a Mini Cooper Coupe, maybe a Honda CR-Z, a base MX-5 1.8 litre, perhaps a MiTo 1.4 TB... Something that even if it's slower and thirstier it's more enjoyable even if that means I can't go as fast or I have to be more careful with the throttle.

Opinions?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Subaru BR-Z or Toyota FT-86. Do it so that I can read a long term review from you.

The Honda CR-Z can get expensive, no?

You've had a Mini Cooper before, so get something different.

I think you should also consider the Mazda2, though there's no six-speed and no xenons.
    The 1.3 is about 90bhp and the 1.5 is about 115, which puts it neatly in the midst of the low end of the hatches you listed.

I agree with NSX, you've been down the Mini path before and I, personally, don't like the Coupe. The Wind isn't really my speed either; the heavy roof mechanism and the styling do little for me. It also looks nigh-on-impossible to see out of with the roof up.

The CR-Z might prove interesting, though it is pretty porky for this group. Is there some sort of governmental incentive to drive hybrids that would make it more favorable?

The MiTo sounds like a pretty solid choice, though I'd imagine it's pretty pricey in this company. A test drive/review would be much appreciated. Same story with the Scorpion; expensive, but (maybe) worth it.
    The Miata is also pretty infallible. The only negatives I can think of are that Europe doesn't get the six-speed, two seats, it isn't as light as previous generations, and, knowing you, it is probably too perfect.

All in all, I'd say a Cygnet is your best bet. Or a Flavia...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The Miata ranks high on the Jalop/Ferrer scale I'd say.

I think that car is pretty you.

Would it be practical enough to use as a primary if you lived in Blanes and commuted to Barcelona every day though? I am not sure.

golf!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

As superminis go, the MiTo 1.4 TB is the most stylish and pretty thrifty to boot...

But we will not ridicule you if you choose a base Miata. Probably.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I think you should also consider the Mazda2, though there's no six-speed and no xenons.
    The 1.3 is about 90bhp and the 1.5 is about 115, which puts it neatly in the midst of the low end of the hatches you listed.

I agree with NSX, you've been down the Mini path before and I, personally, don't like the Coupe. The Wind isn't really my speed either; the heavy roof mechanism and the styling do little for me. It also looks nigh-on-impossible to see out of with the roof up.

The CR-Z might prove interesting, though it is pretty porky for this group. Is there some sort of governmental incentive to drive hybrids that would make it more favorable?

The MiTo sounds like a pretty solid choice, though I'd imagine it's pretty pricey in this company. A test drive/review would be much appreciated. Same story with the Scorpion; expensive, but (maybe) worth it.
    The Miata is also pretty infallible. The only negatives I can think of are that Europe doesn't get the six-speed, two seats, it isn't as light as previous generations, and, knowing you, it is probably too perfect.

All in all, I'd say a Cygnet is your best bet. Or a Flavia...
    I like the 2, however just like the cars in the first post it's too... "normal" if you know what I mean. I'm mildly interested in the supercharged Micra, but I suspect that other than the engine it is actually pretty boring.

Option B, here, today, seems the most plausible. In this I want to test drive all the candidates because the key is how they feel behind the wheel, not the figures. Therefore things like xenons become secondary if the experience is worth it. My favourite is undoubtedly the MX-5 but even the base soft-top with the 1.8 litre and the 5 speed is 24 grand, making it (by far) the most expensive. It's also the only one I have driven and I already know it's superb.

Of the others, they are an unkown quantity to me, but each has its tiny little niggles that makes decision diffuclt (in my opinion). The Mito is a Punto and a little frog eyed, the Abarth you really want is the full SS banana with the Monza exhaust not the basic one, a CR-Z hybrid? Too complex?, the Wind feels like a happy car but is it too much style over substance? And the Mini, as has been said being used to an S, is the Cooper too soft?

I've also just thought of the Twingo RS.

I don't know I think I'll be taking my time.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Opinions?
    a motorbike.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    a motorbike.
    Don't really like them, nor do I want to be killed.
    Visca Catalunya!

You wouldn't be killed that much. Probably.

As for the Wind, there's nothing wrong with style over substance. Apparently it's not too bad, unless you want to reverse park it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I've booked a test drive for the little scorpion on friday.
    Visca Catalunya!

How much is the Abarth?

19.440 € (on the road).
    Visca Catalunya!

Latest offer is a Twingo RS with everything (including Cup Chasis) for 14.900 €.

On saturday I'm trying out a DS3 and possibly the little Renault.

The Wind seems to be out of the running.
    Visca Catalunya!

^^^ Go for the DS3 or Twingo RS their your best bet, there fun but won't cost you a fortune in fuel.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information