Thread: 350 V8 914

350 V8 914

Maybe Egg Nog can explain the appeal of a 914 over a 911 cause this particular guy has gone all out modding up his 914. the site pretty much goes right through the car and looks pretty impressive to me.

http://www.v8914.com/index.htm
    I am the Stig

ahhh yeah the 914v8.....the 914 is midengined, the 911 is rear.....that's a bad design. It makes the car tailheavy...especially in the older ones. The newer ones are improved, but you notice the carrera gt is midengined...it simply works better.

Plus, the 914 is cheaper...and I think it's lighter...

I'm not a big 911 fan...reminds me of an overgrown vw beetle.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

I hope I can offer some insight into all this:

That guy is so awesome. I've actually had that site bookmarked for quite a while now

I can't really give any real reasons why someone would choose a to modify a 914, because it's all a matter of taste. For that matter, why didn't he modify a Corvette? Anyway, a 914 it has several advantages over the 911:

• The 914 is much more of a lightweight car.
    • There is much more room for the engine, as the rear trunk can be modified.
    • The front end is much more easily modified to facilitate the necessary water-cooled engine components.
    • The 914's weight balance is easily one of the best in the world.
    • The 914 still ranks among the most neutral-handling cars ever. (that's why it's constantly among the best for Auto-X)

Now of course those last two would be changed highly, but its cool nonetheless. This guy has been working on his 914 for a huge portion of his life, including thousands of hours of work. He's done basically everything himself, so he's certainly earned my respect.

If anyone's interested in more 914 V8 transplants, Renegade Hybrids specializes in them. - http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914.htm

Why not put a huge V8 in a 911? Here's something I found on the RH site:
    "Here's a really quick way to have your 911 Die a miserable Death.
    Take the rear cross member and cut a foot wide chunk out of the middle of it. We are HUGE fans of More Horsepower, but when you hack up the only structure holding all of horsepower in the car... I think we'll pass."

(See pictures)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 01-27-2004 at 07:05 PM.

the car is in one word impressive. i found the site a couple of years ago and went right through it checking out all of the details, at the time just the twin superchargers were impressive, but still i forgot the site even thogh its something as simple as www.v8914.com lol. i found it the other day whilst trying to look up twin screw superchargers through google.

at least though being based on a mid engined layout when its fully loaded with him in it hes got some assurance that there'll be a slight touch of balance between the front and rear. i know for the XR8 with the cast iron 5.4L block up front, it gives a RWD car heaps of understeer through corners
    I am the Stig

Thread Information