Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why havnt hot hatches gone rwd ??

why havnt hot hatches gone rwd ??

why are most hot hatches still fwd ??

ignoring the fact that most hot hatches are based on eco box fwd models wouldnt the switch to rwd improve handling and response dramatically ?? expecially with the trend for more power in these hot hatches why havnt we seen any manufacturers opt for a rwd model to make better use of the grunt ??

under 200 hp most fwds with an lsd and well setup suspension would be able to put its power down at corner exits earlier then rwd and would be an advantage in lo to mid speed corners but now with the average power output of these hot hatches closing in on 250hp the fwd's inherent downfalls start to kick in

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    why are most hot hatches still fwd ??

ignoring the fact that most hot hatches are based on eco box fwd models wouldnt the switch to rwd improve handling and response dramatically ?? expecially with the trend for more power in these hot hatches why havnt we seen any manufacturers opt for a rwd model to make better use of the grunt ??

under 200 hp most fwds with an lsd and well setup suspension would be able to put its power down at corner exits earlier then rwd and would be an advantage in lo to mid speed corners but now with the average power output of these hot hatches closing in on 250hp the fwd's inherent downfalls start to kick in
    ummm, the Renault Clio is an MR, RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    ummm, the Renault Clio is an MR, RWD
    im pretty sure that's discontinued but in the clio's case that was like an ultra hardcore version, hardly considered a hot hatch since it retains little of the practicality of the base model, im talking about cars like the golf gti, civic type r, astra vxr, focus rs/st

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Is the Z3 M considered a hatch? I think it looks like one.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

i think its because its cheaper to make a FF i believe, and the layout hasnt scared that many drivers away, and even though a rear drive would still be better the wheel base is shorter which lessens alot of FF downsides.

But i do agree, id like to see some rear drive hot hatches. And i believe the Z3 M is a hatch, but isnt it more expensive than the competition?? i also think there was a top gear episode w/ that vary car and the VW.
    You can call me scott.

It would be because it's too expensive to develop both front and rear wheel drive for the same platform. If they were going to do both they might as well make it Awd instead of Rwd.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

The engine fits better east-west than longitudinally, AWD is better than RWD or FWD, theres more legroom for the driver. Not to mention everyday people want to think they can afford these cars..
    I am the Stig

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    BMW called Z3 M a Coupe so that's what's confusing.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

im gunna be a smartass like the 2nd poster and say theres that rwd ford focus 3rd party package, with the v8 engine bay or something
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

If I had to provide input, I'd say that it's too costly to make two platforms, and .. FWD provides more interior room that may suit the middle-aged family man hungry for a power trip.

You fools. You claim the Z3...But what about the 1 Series?
    Theyre all RWD, even the base models. And I dont think you will hear many 'Hot Hatch?' complaints from those driving the Straight 6 powered model.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    You fools. You claim the Z3...But what about the 1 Series?
    Theyre all RWD, even the base models. And I dont think you will hear many 'Hot Hatch?' complaints from those driving the Straight 6 powered model.
    The 1 series is a load of crap. Sure, it may be a descent drive, but it costs you way too much for the possible thrill.

For all Ive heard its more than decent. Its a BMW! Its leading the way on RWD Hot Hatches in my opinion.
    I know it costs a lot, but its a BMW, its made for drivers..it is a sportscar. It has more room than a 350Z...I wonder what gives a better drive?
    All about the t-tops

yeh, the 120d i heard is a mad sports car

if you want to get RWD hatches then the 350Z S tune i saw the motorshow on saturday will get your blood racing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Datto will rage again...

front wheel drive should be perfectly adequate for hot hatches as 250bhp is surely fast enough for a car that "should" weigh no more than 1200kg.

also autodelta did a tuned 147 gta that had ~330bhp. it was said it was perfectly drivable and had great balance but just too stiff suspension.
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Thread Information