Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Virginia Tech

ok, retards - did you even check the laws for virginia and think why/how the psycho got a gun?
    Buying and owning a gun in Virginia does not require a permit, but without a gun permit only one handgun purchase per month is allowed, and there is no waiting period to acquire the gun.

The law is broad enough to allow people to buy assault guns and magazines without limit such as AK-47s and Uzi's

"Assault weapons are as easy to buy as hunting rifles,"

no restriction on the sale or possession of rapid-fire ammunition magazines that can fire up to 100 bullets without reloading

selling rifles and shotguns to children over 12 is permitted

In one controversial loophole, people can buy weapons at second hand gun shows without waiting periods or background checks
    gee, i think that may have had an impact on this.
    banning guns is not even necessary in this instance (knee jerk reactions ftl). All it would take is a tightening of the existing (extremely lax!) legislation.
    it would seem the problem is violent culture (in America, i guess? not many other massacres internationally), but i have no idea how to solve that one so good luck

what i can't believe is that someone got shot at 7am, but the university didn't go into lockdown or whatever until two hours later as i recall? if an evacuation had been called maybe more lives could be saved
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 04-16-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva View Post
    That's ridiculous. I'm a proud gun owner myself, and shooting guns at shooting ranges (or hunting) is a form of recreation just like anything else. I think screaming to ban guns is the same as screaming to ban cars, and to date, I'm quite sure that cars kill more people daily. In both cases, the fault lies at the people operating them; in the right hands, they're safe and fun.
    Right. I've been to a few gun shows and to target ranges and I've yet to see anyone go crazy and start shooting recklessly.
    The only way to stop gun deaths is to ban mentally unbalanced people and that's impossible.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    I mean a school is probably the last place I would expect anyone to get shot (even in the US).
    Unfortunately I have to disagree. Looking back there is a history of these mass shootings occurring at schools: From the University of Texas in 1966 to Columbine in 1999, with others in Massachusetts in the mid-90s, Oregon in 1998 I believe it was, and even last year at an Amish school in Pennslyvaina I believe it was.

Shootings can and do happen anywhere, its very sad that many of the big ones happen at school campuses or at places of business.

My take on the gun control issue: All I can say is that if a person wants to get a gun bad enough, he will do it, place all the restrictions and bans you want but you can't stop a truly determined bad guy. Or a normal person who loses his cool/goes off his rocker.

2000th Post.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Yeah mass murder is one thing .. but to even talk of gun control is beyond the pale, simply outrageous
    But they will fight them and win to keep them... You ain't taking my gun off me sheriff! It's my god dam right to bare arms, I'll col cock you one up side the head if you try take it from me.

It might be the only thing they haven't tried to do and that's ban gun like we have, It's dam hard to get your hands on a gun here today. And you see killings and the only ones i know of in Melbourne have been the underworld killings..
    Most night you here of a accident or someone beat to death run down strangled.. What you don't see is shooting victims mass murder it's very rare.
    Thanks to that POS down in tassie people wanted gun control and i think it works good enough.
    It's easier to shoot someone from a distance but get up and personal is much tougher because the victim can at least fight back against a knife or club some chance much more then a gun..
    the U.S just might get tight gun control when Dubya moves out.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

And in the wrong hands which they easily fall into as EVERYONE has them they kill lots of people real quick. The majority of illegal guns come from thefts of legitimately purchased guns... So really by buying a gun you are risking someone elses life if it gets stolen.

Basically if you buy a gun, leave it locked up at a firing range if its for "recreational" purposes. Otherwise its just a deadly penis extension in your home waiting to get stolen.

You dont drive a race car on the road or ride a horse to work?
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Yeah, right. By the time I call the police (if I can actually get through) and they pull up to my house, the criminal could probably kill me 5 times over!
    You make it sound like every criminal with who gun breaks into a person's house with express motive of killing the people inside, rather than just stealing their stuff. I'm going to repeat myself:

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Who's more likely to get shot: someone who confronts a robber with a gun with their own gun, or someone who just hands over whatever the criminal wants and doesn't give them any trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    the U.S just might get tight gun control when Dubya moves out.
    Won't happen and it's got nothing to do with Bush. The Columbine killings happened in 1999 and Clinton didn't get tighter gun control laws. Tighter gun controls won't affect criminals- they will get them one way or another.

You make it sound like every criminal with who gun breaks into a person's house with express motive of killing the people inside, rather than just stealing their stuff. I'm going to repeat myself:
    The problem is we don't know what is in the criminal's mind.
    What should I do? Wait and see if he's a violent criminal? A lot of people are dead because they waited.

Tighter gun controls won't affect criminals- they will get them one way or another.
    No they won't, but they'll stop people with mental issues getting hold of automatic weaponry for the sole purpose of shooting up their school/place of work etc.

Right. I've been to a few gun shows and to target ranges and I've yet to see anyone go crazy and start shooting recklessly.
    The only way to stop gun deaths is to ban mentally unbalanced people and that's impossible.
    Noone ever expected planes to fly into buildings on U.S soil.. So after that i would say never say never.

If someone kills my mother and i can find a gun easy and i get that gun and shot them, Am i mentally unbalanced?? Or just a son??.

If you think the mentally unbalanced only kill then the whole system is already ****ed.. Bob jnr buys his first gun @ 21.. At 25 he goes nuts one night and shots a guy who he was in a fight with.. Was he mentally unbalanced when he bought the gun?.. Stronger tighter restriction do work we are the proof. But it doesn't mean you can't have a gun you just can't pick it up in a local tuck shop and buy ammo from big-w. Go to McDonald's large burger and large coke.. You wont 45 ammo with that? Destroy any illigel guns they can find and have real tight restriction on them and have follow ups, Much like Clutch_monkey has with his weapons.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

The problem is we don't know what is in the criminal's mind.
    What should I do? Wait and see if he's a violent criminal? A lot of people are dead because they waited.
    Maybe. But running out holding a gun is always going to end up badly.

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Honestly I'm not. It's not like anybody was going to pull a gun out of their waistband and shoot back at him. He was unopposed and easily unloaded round after round. Even if you were in that situation would you have gone up behind him and attack if you knew he had two very maneuverable hand guns?
    Actually in a situation where some lunatic walks into my classroom and without warning starts blasting people away I would probably try to use my desk to protect myself (here in denmark they are 1X2 meters and made from 3cm of highly compressed wood on a 4mm steel plate)

I am surprised that nobody had a gun of there own and used it for self protection.

and how did he get close enough to kill over 30 people with a 9mm and a .22?
    I mean a .22 is not going to kill you unless he hits you directly in the heart or head and even the 9mm has very little effect past 40-50 meters.

Also to 2ndclasscitizen: In the US with the legal system as it is, it is actually smarter for you to go into a house and plan to kill everyone because if anyone is left behind then it is a whole lot easier to find you and then you not only get charged with theft but you are sued by the people for physcological damages. Of course in a state that still has capital punishment you run the risk of being put to death if you kill anyone but that doesn't seem to be that much of a deterrant anyways...
    Last edited by hightower99; 04-16-2007 at 11:04 PM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Maybe. But running out holding a gun is always going to end up badly.
    No it doesn't. As I've said, thousand of times gun have been used successfully in self defense. Both in the home and out in the streets.

BTW, I can see you are not familiar with the proper way to protect your home. You don't run out into the street waving a gun. That only happens in the movies. When the intruder enters your house, you stay behind a wall and point the gun in his direction. You then announce that you are armed; if you feel your life is threatened, you fire a warning shot. Many times, the criminal will run out of the house, saving your life and possibly his.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    Noone ever expected planes to fly into buildings on U.S soil.. So after that i would say never say never.
    That's another good point. Those terrorists didn't need guns to commit their acts.

If someone kills my mother and i can find a gun easy and i get that gun and shot them, Am i mentally unbalanced?? Or just a son??.
    It would be up to a court of law to determine if you were mentally unbalanced when you shot him. However, doing that is forbidden by the law and would be an illegal act. Justice would be trying the man in court and having a sentence for his crime.

If you think the mentally unbalanced only kill then the whole system is already ****ed.. Bob jnr buys his first gun @ 21.. At 25 he goes nuts one night and shots a guy who he was in a fight with.. Was he mentally unbalanced when he bought the gun?.. Stronger tighter restriction do work we are the proof. But it doesn't mean you can't have a gun you just can't pick it up in a local tuck shop and buy ammo from big-w. Go to McDonald's large burger and large coke.. You wont 45 ammo with that? Destroy any illigel guns they can find and have real tight restriction on them and have follow ups, Much like Clutch_monkey has with his weapons.
    You can't tell in every case if someone becomes mentally unbalanced 5 or 10 years in the future.
    Again, I will point out that Washington D.C. has the strictist gun laws in the country and it has the highest crime rate. I will also point out that years ago, I town in Illinois passed a law banning guns. The crime rate soared. And a town in Georgia passed a law requiring every household to have a gun. The house break-in dropped dramatically because criminals knew that if they broke into a house in that city, there was a good chance that they would have to deal with someone with a gun.

Or you could put an alarm system on your house and get contents insurance saving you the risk...

You say MILLIONS HAVE BEEN SAVED by owning guns in defence. I ask you this.

How many average home owners have been killed or injured by confronting a criminal with their "protection?"
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information