Thread: Volvo 3CC Concept 2005

Volvo 3CC Concept 2005

Volvo Car Corporation's 3CC: A sustainable mobility concept beyond the car

Volvo Car Corporation is rewriting the rulebook on how we will use our cars in the future with its 3CC prototype being unveiled to the public for the first time at the Michelin Challenge Bibendum in Shanghai, October 12-14.
    From the outside, the Volvo 3CC has an iconic funky-cool tapered shape designed to make a dynamic statement that nonetheless is unmistakably Volvo. Under the hood is an electric powertrain that quietly propels the Volvo 3CC to a governed top speed of over 135 km/h (85 mph) and delivers zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) acceleration in approximately ten seconds – with zero emissions!

Just 3899 mm (153.5 in.) long, 1624 mm (64 in.) wide and 1321 mm (52 in.) high, the Volvo 3CC has dimensions similar to a classic 2-seater sports car – but that is where similarities end. For the sporty vehicle packs a surprise: a unique two-plus-one configuration, providing seating for two adults in the front and a unique rear seat solution for an additional adult or two children.

This 3-seat configuration provides a unique experience with regards to the occupants' communication, unprecedented rear occupant's comfort and all-around visibility for all passengers.

“With the Volvo 3CC, Volvo Cars is pioneering a new way of looking at mobility so future generations can enjoy the same freedoms the car has given my generation. We believe it is necessary to show new ways to reduce pollution and congestion,” says Lars Erik Lundin, Vice President & General Manager of the Volvo Monitoring and Concept Center VMCC.

The Volvo 3CC is the brainchild of the designers, engineers and business people at the Volvo Monitoring and Concept Center think-tank in California. Their task was to create a `future-proof concept´ that would enhance sustainable mobility. A car not only fuel-efficient, versatile, comfortable, and safe, but also exciting to drive and look at.

“We want to connect in a positive way with consumers so that they say ‘I want to be seen in this car’,” Lars Erik Lundin explains. “We want to add emotional value to people’s lives by offering an environmentally compatible car that appeals to all the senses, and which people want to drive.”

Despite its compactness, the Volvo 3CC has been designed to feel spacious through organic lines, and light colors. Inside, the fixed eye plane ergonomics and low profile A-pillar create a sense of openness aided by three transparent panels in the roof. As the doors open by swinging upwards, a floating dash panel slides forward to ease ingress and egress. A unique sliding seat system also assists ingress and egress to the rear seat. The pedals also adjust for individual requirements.

But Volvo Car Corporation's aim was not just to make the 3CC look good – they also wanted to deliver on overall sustainable mobility goals by providing excellent efficiency. Volvo has achieved this objective through good aerodynamics on a compact footprint, lightweight body materials, and an electric powertrain.

Volvo opted to give the Volvo 3CC a high strength steel space frame and composite sandwich floor panels for safety and lightweight. The outer body is a bonded one piece carbon fibre shell. The resulting chassis rigidity and its innovative suspension also give the car great handling characteristics.

“The double floor used to house the electric energy storage makes the concept future-proof in that the layout can be adapted for the most appropriate powertrain in the future, whether it be petrol, diesel, biogas, or hybrid electric,” explains Ichiro Sugioka, Science Officer at VMCC in California. "In Shanghai, we are demonstrating the electric powertrain, one of the most challenging to package into a vehicle, to highlight its potential where there is abundance of renewable energy that can be converted to electricity."

Meticulous wind tunnel tests resulted in an enhanced aerodynamic efficiency that is 30% better than the new S40 sedan.

With a potential driving range of over 300 km (180 miles) under certain driving conditions, the torque-to-weight ratio is roughly comparable to the powerful T5 model, but available over 0 - 3500 rpm. In typical driving conditions, about 20 percent of the energy can be recovered by regenerative braking.

This performance is achieved using a drivetrain specifically designed for the Volvo 3CC, although it too is a prototype. The electric power comes from lithium-ion cells identical to those used in modern laptop computers that are packaged in the thin sandwich floor.

Front wheel driven, the Volvo 3CC at Shanghai has double wishbone front and rear suspension. The front suspension includes horizontally mounted adjustable coil over shocks that give a low hood line. The rear suspension includes vertically mounted adjustable coil over shocks. Due to the vehicle's lightweight and the power of the regenerative electric braking, unassisted brakes provide good stopping power. The 3CC uses Michelin Pilot Sport 215/45 ZR18 tires that are normally found on supercars for utmost performance.

The interior of the Volvo 3CC offers dynamic ergonomic positioning for both driver and front passenger. Unique solutions include replacing instrument panel toggles with proximity sensors that are activated by a finger as it gets to within 5 mm to adjust lights, climate, and audio system.

“Rather than refining existing cars and technologies for new markets, Volvo has listened, questioned and speculated about the future and developed this all new concept,” says Lex Kerssemakers, Senior Vice President of Brand, Product & Business Strategy. “We think the Volvo 3CC opens a door into that future and we will develop the concept further.”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Volvo 3CC Concept #2

Volvo 3CC Concept #3

Volvo 3CC Concept #4

wow.......ok, the front is kinda cool.......the back? hmmm......well.......not cool.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Volvo 3CC Concept #5

Volvo 3CC Concept #6

Volvo 3CC Concept #7

Volvo 3CC Concept #8

Volvo 3CC Concept #9

Volvo 3CC Concept #10

It has potienial. But it just kind of looks like a rocket-powered hearse

Apparently, this strongly points to the new C30 coupe (coupe based on the S40 platform). It will have a box-back, but will not taper as dramatically as the concept. The idea of it reminds me of the M Coupe.

Thread Information