Thread: Bluebird CN7 Proteus Land Speed Record Car, 1963

Bluebird CN7 Proteus Land Speed Record Car, 1963

Powered by a Bristol Siddeley Proteus free turbine engine developing in excess of 5,000-hp, this revolutionary car was designed by the Norris Brothers and built by Motor Panels, Ltd, of Coventry. It utilised four-wheel drive and two gearboxes, with the gearboxes having a fixed ratio, as there was enough power from the engine, in the lower speed ranges, to dispense with gear changing all together. It utilised three independent braking systems and a mass of complicated electronic instrumentation. First trials were at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah in September 1960. This Bluebird was then severely damaged after a huge crash later in the same month. The car was completely rebuilt, thanks to the generosity of Sir Alfred Owen, with the only noticeable changes being a different shaped cockpit cover and the addition of a tail fin for extra stability. The first trials of the rebuilt Bluebird CN7 took place at Lake Eyre in Australia in May 1963 (view the map), with the world land speed record being set at 403.10 mph at Lake Eyre on 17th July, 1964 after months of torrential rain and flooding. View the information sheet about Lake Eyre.

Technical Specifications

Country of Manufacture: Great Britain
    Engine Manufacturer: Bristol-Siddeley Proteus 705 gas turbine aircraft engine (modified to give drive shaft at each end), Compressor 12 axial-flow stages, 1 centrifugal stage, 8 combustion chambers 2 two stage turbines. Maximum Power, 5,000bhp at 11,000-11,800 power turbine rpm and 11,800 compressor rpm, plus 1,000lb approx. exhaust thrust at standstill diminishing with speed
    Transmission:
    Clutch none
    Gearbox Unknown
    Ratios Unknown
    Axles spiral bevel at front and rear
    Type of drive final drive 3.6 to 1
    Chassis: Aeroweb sandwich 2 skins 0.048in thick light alloy spaced 3/4in apart by resin bonded 1/4in mesh honeycomb of 0.002in thick light alloy
    Suspension: independent by ball-jointed transverse wishbones
    Shock Absorbers: Girling oleo-pneumatic suspension struts with rubber rebound buffers
    Steering: Gear Burman recirculating ball quick-thread mechanism as centre section of 3-piece track rod, operated by bevel gear and chains from steering wheel
    Brakes: Girling disc brakes, inboard mounted, with duplicated operation from compressed air reservoirs. Discs 16 3/8in external dia. and 10 3/8in internal dia. Air brakes to rear. In all three seperate brake systems. Designed by Carl Noble
    Wheels: Dunlop split-rim disc wheels
    Tyres: Dunlop 7.8in section 52in external diameter
    Dimensions: Wheelbase 13ft 6in., Track front 5ft 6in., Track rear 5ft 6in., Length 30ft, Weight 3.5 - 4.2 tons
    Body Manufacturer: Motor Panels Ltd., material aluminium
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Dear Sir!

You do not know, where it is possible to find the large photos Thunderbolt (George E. T. Eyston) and Railton-Napier (John Cobb)?

I thank you.

P.S. Excuse for my bad English

Quote Originally Posted by DeKnyff
    Dear Sir!

You do not know, where it is possible to find the large photos Thunderbolt (George E. T. Eyston) and Railton-Napier (John Cobb)?

I thank you.

P.S. Excuse for my bad English

I'm sorry, I don't have photos of either of those and a quick search comes up with absolutely nothing.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Wow!

Just look at the lines of that thing! 5000 bhp, I gotta get me one a those.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Thread Information