Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf (II-19E) 1983-1992

Volkswagen Golf (II-19E) 1983-1992

Volkswagen Golf Mark II

The Volkswagen Golf Mk2 succeeded the Mk1 as Volkswagen's volume seller from 1983 and remained in (German) production until late 1992. The Mk2 was larger than the Mk1; its wheelbase grew slightly (+ 75 mm (3.0 in)), as did exterior dimensions (length + 180 mm (7.1 in), width + 55 mm (2.2 in), height + 5 mm (0.2 in)). Weight was up accordingly by about 120 kg (264.6 lb). Exterior design, developed in-house by VW design director Schäfer, kept the general lines of its Giugiaro-designed predecessor, but was slightly more rounded. All told, about 6.3 million second-generation Golfs were built.

The second-generation Volkswagen Golf (also known as the Typ 19E until the 1991 model year, and Typ 1G thereafter) was launched in Europe at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 1983. It debuted in 1984 in the UK, and it was introduced as a 1985 model in the US. It featured a larger bodyshell, and a wider range of engine options, including a GTD turbodiesel (in Euro markets, later using the 1.6 "umwelt" (ECO) diesel engine), a DOHC 1781 cc (1.8) 16-valve version of the straight-four GTI (as well as the tried and tested 1781cc (1.8) 8v GTI), the supercharged 8v "G60" with front- and four-wheel drive options, and a racing homologated variant of this, the "Rallye Golf". This model was meant to come to the US as well (badged as "Rallye GTI"), and prototypes were made, but it did not come to be.

In 1985, British motoring magazine What Car? awarded the Golf Mk2 1985 "Car of the Year".

However, the Golf was overshadowed in the 1984 European Car of the Year contest, finishing third but being heavily outscored by the victorious Fiat Uno and runner-up Peugeot 205.

During the life of the Golf 2, there were a number of external style revisions. Notable changes to the looks of the Golf 2 included the removal of quarterlight windows in the front doors, and the introduction of larger grill slats with the August 1987 facelift. The most notable was the introduction of so-called "Big Bumpers", which were introduced in the European market with an August 1989 facelift. They were available in the US from August 1989 as well, as part of the "Wolfsburg Edition" package. They were not standardized until January, 1990.

This Golf was marketed for the first time with that name in the United States and Canada. The Rabbit name used on the Mk1 was meant to give a car a cuddly image, but with the eighties redesign of the car, Carl Hahn, the former Volkswagen of America president who was now chairman of the whole company, dictated that Volkswagen model names be standardised globally. James Fuller, head of the Volkswagen brand in North America, concurred in using the Golf name to stress the car's Teutonic character. The GTI body kit became available on a non-injection Golf and was sold as the "Driver" trim level in Europe. While the GTI remained a trim level in the Golf lineup in Europe, in some markets, it was (and continues to be) marketed as a separate model line.

Volkswagen also produced their model in Yugoslavia, in a factory at Vogosca near Sarajevo, called Tvornica Automobila Sarajevo - TAS. The MK2 was produced from 1985 with a yearly production of 25,000 units until the war in 1990. This model was produced only for the six Yugoslav republics, with a rear badge Jx (which stands for less equipment than C and Cl), C and CL and TAS badge on the front grill. Engines were 1.3 (carburetor), 1.6 petrol and 1.6 diesel.

-----
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 02-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Volkswagen Golf Mark II Rallye
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Elswick, England (Home of the world famous Bonds' Ice Cream!)
    Ace, i want a Mk II Golf so badly
    UCP's No.1 Koenigsegg & Aston Martin fan!
    UCP's Biggest Feeder fan!

What a funny-looking tachometer! Three needles and it goes all the way to 12!

maybe because it's a clock

the interior always looked like the work of a diecast model to me

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    the interior always looked like the work of a diecast model to me
    Yes, the interior just looks so plain, but that steering wheel is cool!!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Quote Originally Posted by ballafureal
    Woah, it's almost as if that's exactly what I meant, and that it was a joke!
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 05-29-2005 at 12:06 PM.

my friends dad has one.we are always working on it in the weekends.we have already taken out the engine and put a new crankshaft in it.the rear axle is renewed and the interior has been fixed.lots of work left though..

####3

####4
    First pic:
    This must be the ultimate Q-car. Ordinary looking 5dr Golf....wait a minute....
    Notice the unusual blue badge .

Yea, it's a very limited edition hand-built 1989 Volkswagen Golf G60 Limited.

Designed and built by the Volkswagen Motorsport division, only 71 of these "G60 Limited" models exist; the G60 supercharger was combined with the 16-valve GTi engine (resulting 156 kW), mated to a sports transmission and Syncro four-wheel-drive mechanism. All of these special edition models came in black, with five doors (except two in three door), and a plain two-headlamp grill (not the usual GTi four headlamps).
    These cars were primarily sold to VAG executives and management.

Second pic:
    What the hell is this?
    Forgotten bastard of the B-Group ?
    Anyone, please enlighten me

cheers

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Your second pic shows the Pikes Peak Golf with two engines and 700 hp
    Last edited by netburner; 05-30-2005 at 01:15 AM.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    Never heard of that one....

Well, live and learn everyday.

Thanks, netburner

Quote Originally Posted by ballafureal
    I cant believe you spelt Ferrari wrong in your sig..
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    That's just great, where are you supposed to put your golf clubs??
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information