Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Corvair

Chevrolet Corvair

Chevrolet Corvair #1

Chevrolet Corvair #2

Chevrolet Corvair #3

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Could someone tell me more about the first car in #2? I've never seen that one before.

Also, do you have any of the Corvair Rampside Pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA)
    Sorry, no

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA)
    Could someone tell me more about the first car in #2? I've never seen that one before.

Email me, Tim, and I'll send them to you. I've got 10 of them.

[email protected]

the models in the second and third pic look like a car I saw in GTA SA.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Chevrolet Corvair #4
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regarding the Corvair in the first photo of #2:
    1963 Chevrolet Pininfarina Prototype
    In 1960, Pininfarina put forward a project of their own providing the attractive, if controversial, rear engine corvair chassis with a body. This version was the first of two chasses to be bodied by Pininfarina in the course of the following three years. The first version being shown at the Paris and Turin salons in 1960. Two years later, at the Paris salon, the chassis was shown again, this time a little less radical, but a more convincing project that involved a lot of work. Finally, the example the example shown here was probably the most successful of the group. By 1963, it managed to be a four seater or at least a 2 + 2 and remains forever, as so much of Pininfarina's work, "variations on a theme". This car was at the Pininfarina museum for many years and eventually made its way to the US. The car was restored a number of years ago by noted restorer. This is an extremely unusual car and a one-off designed corvair. (source: http://www.barrettjackson.com/auctio....asp?id=165634)

Unsafe at any speed.
    Forza Ferrari

--The thread stopper--

Quote Originally Posted by Lani Kai
    Unsafe at any speed.
    that is the definition of the average american driver
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Corvair Super Spyder concept.

Written by Bill Bowman

The XP-785 Super Spyder was built under Bill Mitchell’s guidance, on a 1962 convertible body. Its overall length of 171-inches and its 93-inch wheelbase are both shorter than the stock 180 and 108-inch dimensions. The differences stem from increased front and rear body overhang and the removal of a 15-inch section of the body between the doors and rear wheel arches.

The Super Spyder had a racing style windscreen, low drag sport mirrors and the aerodynamic driver’s headrest was built into the long fiberglass rear deck cover. There were three tailpipes on each side, Stingray taillights, split bumpers, triple louvers in the quarter panels, and alloy wheels with knock-off hubs.

The XP-785 was originally painted silver but was repainted black with stripes.

gmnext.com

Pictures by me @ Amelia Island 2007

1967 GM Astro I Concept Vehicle

Written by Bill Bowman

Chevrolet introduced a concept car for the 1967 show season that was clearly Corvair-derived, though it was not promoted as such. It was the radical Astro I, and nearly 40 years later, it still remains one of the most innovative Dream Cars ever to come from General Motors.

The Astro I was designed under the direction of GM Vice President of Design, Bill Mitchell, with the actual work being led by Larry Shinoda. The first thing that showgoers noticed about the red and black two-seater was how low to the ground it was, with an overall height of just 35.5 inches.

Up front, the nose design of the bright red Astro was quite similar to the Mako Shark show car, and also predicted the 1968 production Corvette, though on a smaller scale. Twin rectangular grilles were set in a V’d nose section, while hidden pop-up headlamps were located on the leading edge of the hood section, just above the grilles. A small hatch was located on the hood surface to facilitate access to the master cylinder, windshield washer tank and the battery. A three-element periscope was used in lieu of a rear view mirror. It gave the driver a wider field of view and compensated for the lack of rear glass.

The rear of the Astro I actually resembled a design one might find on a Can-Am of the era. Pop-up panels provided air braking when needed and air extractors on the rear deck vented engine compartment heat. A recessed license plate housing was trimmed in chrome and set in the middle of the tail panel. A large lip that merged the quarter panels and deck framed the tail panel itself. Simulated vents, located on the tail panel directly behind the wheels hid the small, slotted tail lamps.

Without a doubt, the Astro I’s most unusual feature was its method of allowing passengers in and out. With such a low overall height, conventional doors were not going to work. Instead, Mitchell’s team went with a wild clamshell entry system that really made the show car crowd stop and take notice. The entire body aft of the windshield was one piece and tilted up and back with a large screw mechanism. At the same time, the two bucket seats lifted out of their normal positions to aid getting in and out. Once the driver and passenger were seated and strapped in, the clamshell would close and they would be lowered into their normal semi-reclined seating position. Once inside, the driver was presented with a variety of aircraft-inspired design cues, ranging from the "head-to-toe" bucket seats, the control pod to the left of the driver and the twin handgrips that replaced the conventional steering wheel. Very little was conventional about the Astro I.

The Astro I also sported a complete four-wheel independent suspension system. Custom control arms were used at all four corners, as were disc brakes and custom magnesium eight bolt wheels, which featured removable outer rims available in a variety of widths. The two-seater was fitted with 5.5-inch wide wheels in the front and 7-inch wide wheels in the rear. Prototype Goodyear redline tires were used.

Due to its very low profile, a conventional V8 engine could not be used, so a Corvair powerplant ended up in the one-off machine. Chevy engineers came up with a very special variant of the air-cooled, horizontally-opposed six-cylinder. New cylinder heads were designed for the larger engine. They featured a belt driven, SOHC valve train, hemispherical combustion chambers and inclined valves. The carburetion came from a pair of prototype GM three-barrel, inline carburetors that used Weber internals. The castings were designed to place the carburetor barrels right over the ports, giving the air-fuel mixture a straight shot at the valves.

Although it was never a runner, the 1967 Astro I was a huge hit for Chevrolet and for GM Styling. Showgoers were simply astounded by the two-seaters proportions. It seemed impossible to them that a closed car less than three feet high could actually accommodate passengers-until the clamshell entry system was revealed. The Chevy Astro I is still owned by GM and was completely restored several years ago. Now it is part of the GM Heritage Center Collection. Though the Astro I was never intended as a production car, it nonetheless features a variety of innovations that have yet to reach the marketplace, all packaged in a design that looks very modern-even today. As it did 41 years ago, at its debut at the 1967 New York Auto Show, it still has no problem blowing away present-day car enthusiasts.

gmnext.com

Pictures by me @ Amelia Island 2007.

1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza GT Concept

Written by Bill Bowman

Under the direction of Bill Mitchell, the 1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza GT concept coupe was designed by Larry Shinoda and Tony Lapine and made its debut at the 1962 New York Auto Show.

For servicing the entire rear section of the fiberglass body hinged upward to allow access to the air-cooled, six cylinder-opposed powerplant. Twin carburetors drew fuel from a 12-gallon tank in the nose of the Monza GT. Engine cooling air flowed through intakes at the rear side panels. Twin exhaust outlets were behind each rear wheel opening. The rear-mounted transmission was a four-speed manual. The GT was equipped with four-wheel disc brakes and magnesium wheels.

The wraparound canopy opened forward on hinges for full access to the passenger compartment. The canopy including the roof portion covered passengers with panoramic windshield and both side doors. On the back deck was a panel of adjustable louvers controlled from the cockpit for rearward vision and ventilation. The passenger compartment featured reclined contoured seating. Foot pedals were adjustable fore and aft, with the seats stationary. The dash panel had reflection-free crackle finish, and all gauges to the right of the driver were angled toward him for maximum legibility.

The shortened platform had a 92-inch wheelbase, 16-inches shorter than the production Corvair. The overall dimensions were similarly reduced with a length of 165-inches, and a height of only 42-inches. The smooth aerodynamic lines of the Corvair Monza GT were the result of a program of wind tunnel testing conducted by General Motors Design.

gmnext.com

1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza SS Concept

Written by Bill Bowman

The 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza SS concept car made its public debut at the 1963 New York Auto Show. Larry Shinoda and Tony Lapine, working under Bill Mitchell’s directions at the GM Design Studio, designed the SS roadster.

The SS was based on a shortened Corvair platform with a fiberglass body. The engine, left in its stock location, behind the transaxle was a six cylinder, air cooled Corvair engine that featured a unique intake manifold fitted with six carburetors and a modified exhaust system that exited through special side outlets.With a wheelbase of just 88-inches, the rear mounted engine helped give this short wheelbase roadster a comfortable cockpit, featuring fixed seats with adjustable pedals and the added benefit of a small luggage compartment.

The "U"-shaped windshield was five inches high and swept around the entire passenger compartment to the rear of the doors. Headlights were concealed and the rear fin behind the driver included a built-in roll bar. The SS was equipped with four-wheel disc brakes, magnesium wheels and was only 30-inches tall.

gmnext.com

Last edited by Dino Scuderia; 12-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Thread Information