Thread: Renault 4

Renault 4

The Renault 4 was introduced in 1961 as a direct competitor to Citroen’s highly successful 2CV. In the beginning there was also an R3 version with only 603 cc, but the R4 with 747 or 845 cc prevailed and only very few R3s were delivered. Exceptionally roomy, the water cooled engine provided a much better noise comfort than the Citroen, although performance was only marginally better. The engine was the very first in the world with a completely sealed-off cooling system. It was located behind the front wheels and gear-change was done via a horizontal stick in the dashboard which was linked to the gearbox sitting in front of the engine, before the front axle.
    It was also the first car fitted with a real fifth door, making it the world’s first hatchback.
    At the end of its career the GTL version appeared It had a 1108 cc engine was installed with the same horse power of as the 845, but which much higher torque, resulting in a less nervous ride and better fuel economy.
    When production, which took place in about 15 countries world wide, finally stopped in 1994 over 8 million cars were produced, the highest ever for a French car.

Shown here are a 1961 747 cc L version, a 1963 845 cc L version and a 1994 GTL version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Its a great little car , I love it !!!
    actually, its the car with which I learned to drive , I have so much good memories with it .
    I used to push it out of the garage late every night, till the end of the street not to wake up my parents, then turn it on and have fun with it no driving license yet at that time

Quote Originally Posted by shaht
    Its a great little car , I love it !!!
    actually, its the car with which I learned to drive , I have so much good memories with it .
    I used to push it out of the garage late every night, till the end of the street not to wake up my parents, then turn it on and have fun with it no driving license yet at that time
    it was also the first car I drove, on a closed piece of land. A GTL became my first new bought car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That thing is brilliant. One thing though, what exactly is a completely sealed-off cooling system?

It was my second drive ever, and the worst brakes I ever experienced. I had no license back then and the strange gearshift was a great help to my low skills.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

what is amazing about this car is that Renault has been producing this car until 1992!!!

Thread Information