Thread: BMW 3200 Super

BMW 3200 Super

The final version of the famous “baroque-angel” saloon, that was introduced as the 501 in the early fifties using a tamed version the prewar 328 engine as propulsion. My uncle had one of those early ones and I remember that he used it during winter times to pull us on the sledge behind the car. (talking about road safety…).

The major improvement came when BMW installed the 2.6/3.2 litre (95/120 BHP) all alloy V8, that became an icon in itself and that reportedly impressed the GM engineers so much that they developed the small block along the same principles.

During its production span of 12 years many versions appeared, including cabriolets and coupes, and the chassis was also used for the 503 and the Bertone bodied 3200 CS.

Shown is a mint example of the final version of the limousine, the 3200 Super, where the V8 had reached an output of 160 BHP, 10 BHP more than the 507. Also shown is a 501V8.

I will always remember these cars as you could here them coming from a long way, because of a sort of penetrating whistling sound that the body produced. They where never able to fully compete with the contemporary Mercedes 220/300 but still almost 22000 examples of all versions were produced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

thanks for the pictures henk,what a nice looking car!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

a 502 Cabriolet and a siz cylinder 501, which starred in the German TV-series Isar-12. Please not the phone in the car. Both cars were shown during the Villa d'Este concours d'Elegance in April 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Any idea what years the 502 Cabriolets were produced? What about the one in the picture?

the two door 502 Cabrios were made bu Baur, between 1955 and 1958. There were also 2 and 4-door 501 cabrios, made by Baur, during 1954 and 1955.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    a siz cylinder 501
    Thanx henk. Do you have any specs on the 6 cylinder?

Thread Information