Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bmw 1600 Gt

Bmw 1600 GT

This little known sportscar was a result of BMW’s take-over of the Glas factory in Dingolfing in 1967. Glas had stunned the world earlier with nothing less than the Goggomobil and went on from there to build sizeable cars, including the 1300 and 1700 GT. Engine technology was well developed and for the first time a belt driven OHC was used in a mass production model. (The very first application was made by Bill Devin for his famous Panhard-Devin Specials).

The 1300 GT was designed by Pietro Frua and the car was as fast as it looked, in spite of having only 1300 cc. The later 1700 version was a bit faster, but the additional engine capacity was created by introducing a much longer stroke to the same engine, making it less rev happy.

When BMW took over the GT model was thoroughly revised, in particular underneath the body. The rear life axle was replaced by BMW’s sophisticated independent rear wheel suspension, and the 100 BHP 1700 cc engine was replaced by the 1600 TI engine fitted with twin choke Solex carbs, giving 105 BHP.

Glas built almost 5400 of its coupes, while BMW continued production until 1968 and produced another 1259 cars.

Shown are an ultra rare cabrio version of the car (Essen 2003) and the regular coupe that was present at the Concours d'Elegance in Schwetzingen in 2003, when there was section dedicated to Pietro Frua's designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 10-05-2005 at 04:41 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hmm never heard of this little fella before.
    Interesting article and pictures, Pieter. Much appreciated

Reminds me of the 'Ferrarina' ASA 1000GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Reminds me of the 'Ferrarina' ASA 1000GT.
    that's on the main page, so no chance to be featured here
    but I personally find the Glas/BMW more balanced
    Last edited by henk4; 10-05-2005 at 12:01 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

it is so italian in my opinion it looks like an old fiat mini-sportscar or alfa romeo

Is the cabrio from 1967 or 1968? Here is another coupe from 1967 that I found on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    Is the cabrio from 1967 or 1968? Here is another coupe from 1967 that I found on the web.
    I am not sure about the cabrio.

Here you can find the other pictures of this model

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Here is the also rare Glas 1700 GT (or should they be in an own thread?)
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    Here is the also rare Glas 1700 GT (or should they be in an own thread?)
    yes. I am working on that....
    together with the 1700 sedan

Your thread prompts me to throw in a scan of this pretty little coupe taken from a 1963 Autocar magazine feature on that year's Nurburgring 1000

Often forgotten these days but Glas and Borgward too made some very interesting machines

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Your thread prompts me to throw in a scan of this pretty little coupe taken from a 1963 Autocar magazine feature on that year's Nurburgring 1000

Often forgotten these days but Glas and Borgward too made some very interesting machines
    That is the famous Martini BMW, of which BMW made Martini "stop" further development
    Borgwards are too come...

Surfing the net I've found this tread.. Here some pictures of my GT. Chassisnr 18, unrestored.

Her a picture of the very rare 1600 GT cabrio

Welcome to UCP and thank you for the pics.. As far as I know only 2 cabrios were ever build. Apparently the registration of your car is also the original one. Very nice that it survived? How long do you have it already?

Thread Information