Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Sixteen Concept 2003

Cadillac Sixteen Concept 2003

Technology Trend Setter: The Cadillac Sixteen

• Smooth-running V16 engine with 1,000 hp and cylinder deactivation
    • Innovative aluminum body with glass roof
    • Luxurious interior with crystal and walnut wood

Geneva. Throughout its 100-year history, American luxury marque Cadillac has always set the pace in automotive construction. Now, it has managed again to combine breathtaking design with technological wizardry. With its 16 cylinders, 13.6-liter displacement and exactly 1000 hp, the Cadillac Sixteen sets standards in the world of top-class automobiles. The striking luxury sedan study is celebrating its European premiere in Geneva. This technological trend setter is a further demonstration of Cadillac's place among the global luxury car manufacturers.

Cadillac wrote automotive history in 1930, when the luxury marque introduced the world's first 16-cylinder car. Production continued until the Second World War. Now, the marque decided it was ready for a comeback. The name of the study alone – Cadillac Sixteen – recalls an era when the American luxury marque enjoyed the undisputed position of "Standard of the World." The proportions and numerous styling elements of the sedan now on show in Geneva are reminiscent of this classic era of automotive design. The extensive use of high-tech features, however, also makes the car an ultramodern trend setter.

The body: a lightweight and robust combination of aluminum and steel

The prototype's dimensions alone make it clear that Cadillac is reestablishing itself at the top of international car design.

With a wheelbase of 3,556 millimeters and a length of 5,673 millimeters, the Cadillac Sixteen is a mighty automobile whose appearance is dominated by its long hood and the 24-inch wheels with P265/40 R24 tires. A classic gull-wing hood, whose two halves are hinged along a center spine and are power-operated, ensures convenient access to the engine.

The four-door body has an all-glass roof and no B-pillar. The chassis tunnel is made of steel, with front and rear aluminum-extruded rail structures for the spaceframe. This unusual design ensures excellent stability, while also keeping the weight down to 2270 kilograms – extremely low for a car with these dimensions and engine specifications.

The interior was also designed to capture the classic atmosphere of a 1930s luxury car with modern means. The gauges are protected by polished crystal, while the dashboard features a center-mounted Bvlgari clock. The light brown hand-stitched leather and finest walnut inlays ensure a warm mood. Hand-woven cream-colored silk carpets enhance the luxurious feel.

The sixteen-cylinder: the gentle giant

Under the hood is an engine that is without parallel; its 16 cylinders, featuring a bore of 105 millimeters and a stroke of 98 millimeters, have a total capacity of no less than 13.6 liters. As a result, the naturally aspirated engine boasts around 1000 hp/745 kW at 6000 rpm, and an enormous peak torque of 1355 Nm at 4300 rpm.

The engineers chose state-of-the-art technology for the engine, which they had up and running in just seven months. Among the special features of the all-aluminum unit – the forerunner of a coming generation of V8 engines – are dry sump lubrication to help reduce overall height. The designers made extensive use of computers when creating the intake ducts and combustion chambers, which were significantly inspired by insights from motorsports technology.

Among the key innovations are the "Displacement on Demand" two-step cylinder deactivation, allowing the 16-cylinder to run on eight or even four cylinders when less power is required. The system closes the intake and exhaust valves of selected cylinders in a fraction of a second, thereby lowering the average fuel consumption to the level of conventional eight-cylinder engines. A further innovation is the camshafts, which can be adjusted by up to 40 degrees for greater engine power and lower emissions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Cadillac Sixteen Concept #2

Cadillac Sixteen Concept #3

Cadillac Sixteen Concept #4

Cadillac Sixteen Concept #5

Cadillac Sixteen Concept #6

Cadillac Sixteen Concept #7

Such an awesome car!
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

Can't wait to drive this in PGR3.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Woah! I didn't know it was going to be in PGR3. There are so many cool racing games coming out.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

CADILLAC SIXTEEN: A NEW WORLD STANDARD

DETROIT – The Cadillac Sixteen is classic automotive seduction with the panache of Cadillac's ultramodern design.

In form, power and opulence, the 2003 Cadillac Sixteen embodies the timeless qualities of an exceptionally luxurious super-sedan with its sleek, gemstone appearance. The rear-wheel-drive Cadillac Sixteen brings forth the exclusivity and grandeur of the custom-built Fleetwood coach cars of the 1930s for today's generation of exceedingly well-heeled customers of discerning taste.

"The Sixteen is a modern interpretation of everything that made Cadillac the standard of the world and can again," said Robert A. Lutz, GM vice chairman for product development and chairman of GM North America. "It's a reminder of a glorious past as well as a progressive statement.

"Cadillac's tradition is rich, but in the next several years it will be introducing vehicles as solid, dynamic and beautifully designed as anything it's ever done. And Sixteen is a harbinger of this new era."

Sweet V-16

The name speaks to the car's powerful 16-cylinder, 1000-horsepower engine and Cadillac's heritage as a maker of fine luxury automobiles. Cadillac's reputation grew exponentially during the '30s in no small part because of the development of the automotive industry's first V-16. The Cadillac Sixteen's grand exterior proportions create an unparalleled presence; its splendid interior is meticulously handcrafted and urbane.

"The Cadillac Sixteen proportions were crafted with great attention to detail and homage to classic design," said Brian Smith, the Cadillac Sixteen's exterior designer. "The Cadillac Sixteen evokes an era when luxury cars were hand-built."

General Motors' designers drew extensively on the traditions of the coachbuilt era in crafting the Cadillac Sixteen, employing the distinctive talents of leading artisans for the upholstery, instrumentation, interior wood and metal elements, and aluminum body panels.

As an exterior statement, the Cadillac Sixteen's proportional composition is bold. The aluminum hood is long, giving the Cadillac Sixteen tremendous dash-to-axle dimension; the wheel arches were designed to accommodate the beautiful 24-inch polished aluminum wheels. The four-door hardtop incorporates an all-glass roof and is without B-pillars. Crisp-edged lines of the midnight silver aluminum body panels accentuate the Cadillac Sixteen's striking appearance.

Even the engine compartment, with its sculpted design, has drama. With dual panels hinged about a center spine that runs the length of the expansive hood, it makes an event out of opening the engine bay. The hood panels are power-operated.

"The engine bay really pays tribute to the V-16," said Wayne Cherry, GM's vice president of design. "It's like a setting for a diamond, clean and simple. The under-hood was designed with the same care and attention as the interior.

"The interior is a pure expression of design," said Cherry.

"Premium materials in luxury refinement are fine woods, precision-cut metals and crystal. They've all been combined and balanced in harmony in the Cadillac Sixteen."

Warm luxury, contemporary style

The interior theme is evocative of the posh accommodations of 1930s-era Cadillacs, but with contemporary style. For instance, the dashboard features a center-mounted Bulgari clock.

The hand-stitched, Tuscany leather upholstered seats nestle the occupants. The right rear seat features power adjustable slope to recline like a chaise lounge. Warm, hand-woven silk carpets the floor in a light cream color that matches the leather upholstery. The dash, door panels, and front and rear consoles are trimmed with walnut burl veneer inlays.

"The lighting is architectural, enhancing the mood and desirability of the Cadillac Sixteen's interior space, complementing its shapes and colors," said Eric Clough, interior designer. "Technique combines with technology for a sophisticated, pampered ambience."

Meanwhile, the custom-designed crystal on the cluster dials offers subtle cues of the Cadillac Sixteen's precise engineering, elegance and craftsmanship.

One thousand horses

While GM designers drew inspiration from the ultra-luxury sedan's ancestry, the Cadillac Sixteen is thoroughly modern in its powerplant and technological content.

The Cadillac Sixteen's 32-valve V-16 concept engine displaces 13.6 liters and is mated to a four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission. The engine features fuel-saving Displacement on Demand technology, debuting in 2004 on some 2005 GM models, which shuts down half of the cylinders during most driving conditions and automatically and seamlessly reactivates them for more demanding conditions, such as brisk acceleration or load hauling. The engine produces 1000 horsepower and 1000 lbs.-ft. of torque.

The extensive use of aluminum components and structure provide substantial weight advantages. The aluminum-steel chassis employs high-arm SLA suspension up front and independent semi-trailing arm suspension in the rear. Four-wheel steering enhances the Cadillac Sixteen's maneuverability. The front and rear brakes are six-piston calipers with 16-inch rotors.

Electronic amenities include a rear-seat DVD information system, Bose sound system, and the fifth-generation OnStar in-vehicle safety and security communication system. The head and tail lamps feature LED technology.

All told, the Cadillac Sixteen is an ultra-luxury automobile of the first order.

"This car offers premier refinement and craftsmanship," said Cherry. "Its ultra-contemporary technical detailing is evident throughout.

"The Cadillac Sixteen is befitting of the great Cadillac tradition as the standard of the world."

Cadillac Sixteen 2003
    Concept Car

Technical Specifications
    Body (structure) spaceframe
    Body (material) aluminum
    Chassis / material aluminum / steel
    Suspension, front short/long arm
    Suspension, rear semi-trailing arm, 4-wheel steer
    Wheels 9-inch x 24-inch, aluminum
    Tire size, front/rear P265/40R24/P265/40R24
    Tire brand Michelin
    Brakes disc brakes, 16-inch, 6-piston calipers
    Powertrain
    Engine GM 16-cylinder, 90-degree
    Displacement, cc 13,600
    Output, kW/hp 745/1000
    Peak torque, Nm 1355
    Transmission Hydra-Matic, 4L85-E (modified)
    Dimensions
    Height, mm 1392
    Length, mm 5673
    Width, mm 2058
    Wheelbase, mm 3556
    Track, front/rear, mm 1765/1766
    Curb weight, kg 2270 (estimated)

i can see BVULGARY in the enterior of the car
    what does it have to do with it?? i think its a built in perfum to keep the car smelling good .. that could be reealy intresting instead of having Macdonald smell in ur car
    and the car is gr8 i thought it was a concept.... is it hiting production??
    EDIT: a sport car is not a sport car if it isnt manual gear shift....
    dont care aout the coment that many of u will say .. telling me that SMG is faster and better for suppercars.... there is descreption how u enjoy a manual gear shift car....

I will never buy an auto or semi auto or SMG car
    Last edited by white devil; 10-08-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by white devil
    i can see BVULGARY in the enterior of the car
    what does it have to do with it?? i think its a built in perfum to keep the car smelling good .. that could be reealy intresting instead of having Macdonald smell in ur car
    and the car is gr8 i thought it was a concept.... is it hiting production??
    EDIT: a sport car is not a sport car if it isnt manual gear shift....
    dont care aout the coment that many of u will say .. telling me that SMG is faster and better for suppercars.... there is descreption how u enjoy a manual gear shift car....

I will never buy an auto or semi auto or SMG car
    Bvlgari makes jewelry. And they made the gauges for this, as well as the production XLR.

It's a concept.

And what are you talking about? sports car? this was never intended to be anything like a sports car. It's a sedan larger than a RR Phantom.

Guest Guest
    thats one sweet car!

Thread Information