Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMC AMX-3 1970-1971

AMC AMX-3 1970-1971

AMC AMX-3

Text and Specs by Wouter:

In a desperate attempt to make up some ground to America's big three manufacturers, the American Motor Company set out to boost its reputation with an all new mid-engined supercar. The first sign of things to come was the non-running AMX/2 prototype launched at the 1969 Chicago Autoshow. Its name was derived from the front engined AMX coupe, which was the company's more mainstream sports car. After a positive reception by the press and public alike, AMC decided to go ahead and construct a fully running version of the Dick Teague designed supercar.
    In a stroke of genious AMC recruited Giotto Bizzarrini to design the suspension and drivetrain. For the Italian master designer it was the first job since his company was declared bankrupt a few months earlier. His experience with the mid-engined Bizzarrini P538 made him one of the very few engineers with hands-on knowledge on this layout.

Combining left over bits and some new AMC parts, Bizzarrini compiled a fully independent suspension all-round. The chassis was a semi-monocoque backbone type, which, with the body welded on, proved to be very stiff. AMC's biggest input in the project was the 390 ci V8 engine, which was directly derived from the AMX coupe. The engine produced so much torque that the intended ZF five speed gearbox proved to weak, and Bizzarrini commissioned the construction of a custom built four speed box.

Once completed, the 'AMX/3' was unveiled to a small group of journalists in Rome in March of 1970. Like a year earlier the reception in the press was again very good, especially after they were driven around in it by Bizzarrini, who's driving skills were one of the reasons Enzo Ferrari hired him two decades earlier. Everything seemed to be going in the right direction, especially when AMC ordered the construction of more prototype examples for testing purposes. Contemporary magazines expected a first production run of 24 cars to test the waters, but financial problems at AMC quickly ended that hope. Stricter safety and emissions requirements took priority and the American company abandoned the project.

In a final attempt to revive the AMX/3, AMC offered to send Bizzarrini parts to construct 30 examples, of which they would buy ten examples, leaving the other 20 for the Italian to sell. Although he was tempted, the recent bankruptcy was a painful reminder of what too much ambition could result in, and Bizzarrini declined. All in all six examples were constructed; the first prototype and another five pre-production prototypes. Although AMC initially ordered all completed cars to be destroyed, Bizzarrini fortunately refused. Today the AMX/3 remains as another example of Bizzarrini's engineering excellence, and one of the rare attempts to create an American supercars.

Years of production 1970 - 1971
    Introduced at 1970 Geneva Motorshow
    Numbers built: 6
    Body design: Dick Teague
    Weight: 1400 kilo / 3086.5 lbs

Drivetrain
    Engine: 90º V 8
    Engine Location: Mid , longitudinally mounted
    Displacement: 6.383 liter / 389.5 cu in
    Valvetrain: 2 valves / cylinder, OHV
    Fuel feed: 4 Carter BBL Carburetors
    Aspiration: Naturally Aspirated
    Gearbox: 5 speed Manual
    Drive: Rear wheel drive

Performance figures
    Power: 340 bhp / 254 KW @ 5100 rpm
    Torque: 583 Nm / 430 ft lbs @ 3600 rpm
    BHP/Liter: 53 bhp / liter
    Power to weight ratio: 0.24 bhp / kg
    Top Speed: 260 km/h / 162 mph
    0-60 mph: 5.5 s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Amc Amx-3 #2

Being nice since 2007.

Amc Amx-3 #3

Being nice since 2007.

Amc Amx-3 #4

Being nice since 2007.

Fantastic pics of the yellow one - where in the world did you find those?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Guest Guest
    geat pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Fantastic pics of the yellow one - where in the world did you find those?
    Google.

Now this is a surprise...Matt doesn't have some pictures in his collection!

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    Now this is a surprise...Matt doesn't have some pictures in his collection!
    Oh, there's plenty I don't have...
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Amc Amx-3 #5

Images from ATspeedimages.com

Being nice since 2007.

History of the AMX/3
    First some history about the AMX/3: The AMX/2 Styling prototype was designed by Richard Teague to participate in a call for designs from AMC. Others participated in this call for designs including Bizzarrini. [Other sources indicate that Giorgetto Giugiaro built a styling mockup, which was never shown to the public. -Jim] The Teague design won by a long shot and was approved to the prototype stage.
    BMW was contacted to construct the prototypes, but was not chosen because of their elevated prices. So AMC asked Giotto Bizzarrini [a top race car engineer and builder] if he would do the prototypes. [AMC also considered having Karmann in Germany build the car.] Giotto was contracted for ten prototypes and the follow on construction. (Apparently the brass at AMC felt unsure about the prospect of building a mid-engined car.) The first prototype was mostly completed (90%ish) and a construction problem appeared suddenly. The English to Metric conversions from the drawings were incorrect and the car could not be completed to a driving state. This car was a push-mobile used for shows only (It was cosmetically correct). The next 4 cars were completed with proper conversions. The research that followed was conducted by AMC in the U.S. as well as by BMW and Turin Polytechnic in Europe.

About this time (late 1969) AMC learned about Ford's work with DeTomaso and the Pantera. Result: AMC introduced the AMX/3 at auto shows around the world one full year before Ford introduced the Pantera. Designers from other makers were shocked (some refused to believe that AMC designed it) and amazed by the car.

Testing results started to come in from BMW and Turin Polytech. BMW proclaimed the body assembly (a boxed sill backbone structure) one of the most rigid structures that they had ever tested. Speed runs were limited to 160 M.P.H. due to body lifting because of the lack of a front spoiler. Cooling modifications were made to cars 2, 3, 4 and 5 and retrofitted to car 1 later in 1970. Meanwhile AMC ordered 5 more prototypes and Giotto began construction.

Ultimately, AMC found that the car would have to sell for more than $12,000; even though that is a small figure today, the Pantera was released for less than $10,000. AMC didn't take the risk. It ordered the unfinished prototypes destroyed and dropped the project. The End.

But not really the end.
    Giotto destroyed 4 of his 5 protos. He just couldn't bring himself to chop up the nearly done car. So he and his business partner completed the car themselves from spares. Cars 3, 4, and 5 were sold to Richard Teague. Cars 1 and 2 were lost, found, sold, lost and found again. Dick Teague sold two of his three to private collectors. The whereabouts of car 6 are now known -- it remains to this day in Italy. Dick Teague's comments on the #6 car: "Wow, I wouldn't be surprised if a few more show up." (!!!!)
    The aftermath: The cars trade hands and are shown some. Richard Teague purchased the 28 remaining custom built OTO Melara Transaxles from AMC for the storage and shipping fees (to repair his own AMX/3). Motor Trend did a four page retrospective in the June 1990 issue (very highly recommended).

Specifications
    What they all have in common:
    390 c.i.d. engine
    OTO Melara 4 speed transaxle
    Vacuum actuated headlamps (which are rumored to have drooped when the throttles were nailed)
    Power steering
    4-wheel power disc brakes (hydraulic assist from the power steering pump)
    Teague designed T-window double pane glass between cockpit and engine compartment
    4-wheel independent suspension: single coil-over shock unequal length A-arm up front and dual coil-over shock trailing arm/A-arm in the rear
    Cars #2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 have a mostly non-functional rear pop- up spoiler
    Leather interior
    The Car-by-Car Where-they-Are
    (This is information gleaned from as many sources as I could glean from! Possible inaccuracies noted below.)
    Considering that the car couldn't be made to run because of the construction errors it traded hands a few times. It is currently rusting in the basement of a barn at the Gilmore Classic Car Club Museum. I have personally examined this vehicle (video taped it too!!!). The museum is reluctant to restore the car because the paperwork has purportedly disappeared and its origins are mysterious. No VIN number, but I found a 1973 Michigan license plate in the vehicle. Its number is RIK 423 with 1974 sticker #3-595644. Before Dick Teague passed away he donated a tranny to the museum reportedly. Strangely however the engine in the car has 70-W-No5 marked on the chrome valve covers with black paint, I have no idea. I offered to the curators of the museum to restore the car for free(!). No dice, it looks like bureaucracy has committed this one to rust away, so much for preserving history.
    Was sold to a guy in MI and was lost by all accounts that I tapped. It reappeared as the "chicken coop" car. For sale when last checked in Indiana for over $200,000. The car is reported to be badly rusted and missing parts. It is also full of bird droppings (yuk!). Good Luck.
    This car was owned by Richard Teague until his death. It was donated to the San Diego Auto Museum along with most of his papers. This is the car in Motor Trend [and the car pictured on this page??].
    This car was sold by Teague to unknown persons, then to Mr. Mimbs of Georgia. He sold much of his AMC collection to a man in Alabama. It and the AMX/2 styling exercise are both for sale in Hemmings -- the AMX/3 for $225,000 and AMX/2 for $25,000 (Buy now and Save).
    This car was sold to Teague and then sold to a man in Florida. I do not know his name, I do not know the car. I do know that the car is blue and was the BMW car. (Possibly inaccurate, however this story confirmed by 2 reliable sources.)
    This car is still in Italy and differs from the other cars in that it has retractable wipers and a different rear body. It is owned by Giotto's Business partner.
    ...... Who knows? We're still waiting.
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

and some pictures

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

AMX/3

Hello,
    I am glad to see you are discussing the AMX/3, it is my favorite car of all time. I have been an AMC fan collecting AMX's and JAvelin's for over 20 years. About 15 months ago I bought the only fiberglass AMX/3 ever made. I am using it to build reproductions with a new chassis. I have also documented all of the 6 Italian made steel cars. Check it out Welcome to AMX390
    Tom

Sorry to be so blunt about it, but your site sucks...
    and please refrain from advertising on the forums !

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    Sorry to be so blunt about it, but your site sucks...
    and please refrain from advertising on the forums !
    What a fabulous way of welcoming a new member. I found his site very interesting.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information