Thread: Talbot Horizon 1978-1990

Talbot Horizon 1978-1990

As requested by the smxi....you are one mad high-res junkie

Talbot Horizon #1
    Attached Images Attached Images

good ol' Chrysler trying to spread its crappy cars from the 80's into Europe.

no it was the other way around, the Horizon was made in Europe first and when it became car of the year, it was decided to also send it to the States.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    As requested by the smxi....you are one mad high-res junkie

Talbot Horizon #1
    Thanks a million! I had no idea that Dodge Omni was Talbot first! Thank you very much. Should I expect more?

http://www.allpar.com/model/horizon.html

It was designed as a Simca
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Thanks a million! I had no idea that Dodge Omni was Talbot first! Thank you very much. Should I expect more?
    Oh yeah smxi, i'll post the requested threads soon!
    Sorry for the delay, i've been very busy lately

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    no it was the other way around, the Horizon was made in Europe first and when it became car of the year, it was decided to also send it to the States.
    OOPS...i had no idea.
    My 80's knowledge is by far the weakest. I consider the 80's of car design a huge black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    OOPS...i had no idea.
    My 80's knowledge is by far the weakest. I consider the 80's of car design a huge black hole.
    Well, I started to read the link that I sent and it has all sorts of interesting and sometimes contradicting info on the car, and the ways Chrysler Europe took. Go for it if you have time.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    waste of metal if you ask me
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

The Horizon Story, 1978 - 1990

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    http://www.allpar.com/model/horizon.html

It was designed as a Simca
    1976 began the big exit of the high and mighty at Chrysler Corporation, due to more and more difficulties in the United States. Soon thereafter, thanks to the surprising success of the French branch, they searched for a definitive study of a cooperative effort at Poissy and Detroit, the Horizon, before everyone else in the United States with a modern subcompact, allowing Chrysler to respond to the new American legislation concerning reducing the consumption of fuel (and at the same time weight and dimensions of cars) and to face the ever increasing onslaught of the Japanese. Debuting in 1976, the Projet C2 (future Horizon) showed the direction of the group.
    The Horizon was introduced simultaneously in France (as the Chrysler-SIMCA Horizon) and in North America (as the Plymouth Horizon and the Dodge Omni) on 7 Dec 1977. It was the big surprise of the year in Europe, and was named 1978 Car of the Year there (just 2 years after the Chrysler-SIMCA 1307/1308). Even though it was meant to replace the 1100, production of the 1100 continued for over four more years, especially since there were no "utility" version of the Horizon.
    The 1978 Horizon featured front disc, rear drum brakes, rack & pinion steering, 145SR x 13 tires, 91 mph (6CV 1118cc). In the U.S., the Plymouth Horizon and it's twin, the Dodge Omni featured a different dashboard, stronger bumpers and "federalized" lighting. Also, Chrysler had a hard time legalizing the current SIMCA engines, especially since none had been imported since 1973, so the initial engine used was the 70 hp, 1.7 litre unit from the Volkswagen Rabbit, presumably because it was already smog tested and certainly because it was readily available. When Chrysler sold SIMCA, part of the deal included a 1.6 liter engine to be supplied by Peugeot for the U.S. Horizon. A year later, the Chrysler 2.2 liter engine was ready and at first augmented, and eventually replaced the 1.6 liter Peugeot engine. European version were available with 1.1 liter, 1.2 liter, 1.4 liter and 1.6 liter engines (some with turbos) and 1.9 liter diesel
    Production of rear-engined SIMCA 1000s ended in May, 78. The introduction of the Horizon at the end of Nov 77 (Projet C2) marked the end for the 1000. The 1118cc Horizon LS was introduced as the successor to the 1005-1006. A Deluxe version to substitute for the 1006GLS, with a quasi-plethora of equipment, including folding rear seat, long distance lights, tinted glass, radio, bumper guards, side trim, metallic paint and, optionally, a sunshine roof. Lots of informal negotiations were engaged with a multitude of European manufacturers and, apparently the French Renault and Peugeot (who had just bought Citroen in 1974) were the most interested and were encouraged by the government, who didn't accept the idea of the Poissy firm being sold to a foreign buyer. But Renault, who had just acquired American Motors Corporation (and who unloaded it in 1987 - to Chrysler!) left the winner Peugeot and on 10 May 78, an agreement was signed which stated, "the Chrysler Corporation transfers all of its interests in its European operations to Peugeot Societe Anonyme. The Horizon Jubilee and Horizon SPL featured 7CV, 1442cc engines.
    The Jubilee was introduced in March 79 for one year only with GLS basis and special two-tone paint. On 10 Jul 79, it was announced that "Chrysler Europe shall become the Talbot Groupe and that all Chrysler-SIMCA models (which controlled 11% of the French market) would become Talbot-SIMCAs. On 1 Jan 80, the society Chrysler France changed its name to the society of Automobiles Talbot. Six months later, for model year 81, the name SIMCA was permanently abandoned, for the benefit of the sole remaining name, Talbot. Within a few years, all of the "Talbotized" SIMCAs became extinct.
    For 1980, the name was changed to Talbot-SIMCA Horizon. The Horizon SX was offered, with 1442cc engine and automatic transmission, trip computer, electric windows and headlight washers. The range comprised the 1.1 LS, 1.3 LS and GL, 1.5 GL and 1.5SX Automatic. The Horizon SPL was introduced in March 80 with GLS basis and distinctive paint. At the end of 1980, it was finally decided, for economic reasons, Jean-Paul Pareyre, President of Direction for Groupe PSA announced, to fuse the commercial resources of Talbot and of Peugeot and the decision to abandon, between 1981 and 1983, 3/4 of the 488 Talbot showrooms (and all of the agents that were ex-Chrysler France, ex-SIMCA). In Jul 80, the SIMCA name was abandoned in favor of the Talbot name.
    In 1981 The Horizon became simply Talbot Horizon.
    In 1982, the Horizon was the first model to feature the new Peugeot XUD 1.9 liter 65 hp diesel engine.
    For 1983, all Horizon's were re-designated Series 2 cars. 5-speed manual transmissions and headrests were featured on all models except for the basic 1.1 LE. The Pullman arrived with two-tone brown and gold paint and gold alloy wheels and later, the Ultra LX and GLX, with power steering and special wheel covers.
    In 1985, the Peugeot 309 was meant to be the replacement for the Horizon (which explains why it looks so ugly compared to other Peugeot's of the time), but was quickly baptized a Peugeot when it was decided to let Talbot die. The 309 was the first Peugeot to be built in Britain (at the Coventry plant). The last French Horizon was produced in the spring of 1985, but production continued in the United States until 1990. In Europe, the Horizon was viewed as a family car, and, as such, was in a very competitive class. In the U.S., it was seen as basic transportation, where it excelled. A total of 150,000 Horizons had also been produced in Britain from 1980 to 1985.

as a PS to this. Peugeot has just annouced the closure of the Coventry plant

Talbot Horizon #2
    Respect is everything!

Thanks darmal2, terrific pics

A few more then...

Talbot Horizon #3

Talbot Horizon #4

Chrysler Horizon #5
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.