Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talbot Tagora 1980-1983

Talbot Tagora 1980-1983

This one is esp. rare - only 20,000 made over 3 years period.

Unbelievable number for mass produced 4dr saloon...

One was for sale over here for 300 €, in good condition. Maybe I should have bought that French wondermachine? Nah, too quirky
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have any pics of the talbot sunbeam in red?

indeed one of the big failures, in spite of even having 2.7 litre V6 (Douvrin) engine and the 2.3 litre TD.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by heryandy0210
    Do you have any pics of the talbot sunbeam in red?
    Sorry, don't have any..

Tallbot? I have never heard of them. Where are they made and sold?
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Talbot is a very famous french marque, which participated in many races both before and after the war. The company faltered in 1957. Simca/Chrysler decided to revive the name in the late seventies.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

So Tallbot is now Chrysler?

Quote Originally Posted by Manik
    So Tallbot is now Chrysler?
    Chrysler Europe has long ceased to exist, unless you would like to call Mercedes that

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1085

one of the world famous coupes. The Figoni and Falaschi bodied Talbot Teardrops are esthetic highlights. See for instance the UCP coverage of this year's Pebble Beach, the RM auction and the Christie auction.

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Talbot and Simca are now Peugeot afaik
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Chrysler Europe has long ceased to exist, unless you would like to call Mercedes that
    okay, lol.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1085

one of the world famous coupes. The Figoni and Falaschi bodied Talbot Teardrops are esthetic highlights. See for instance the UCP coverage of this year's Pebble Beach, the RM auction and the Christie auction.
    Thats really cool looking, although I'm not huge on the front the back looks great.

Thanks for the info Henk!

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    Talbot and Simca are now Peugeot afaik
    correct, the Tagora and the Sambo were already made under Peugeot management, the successor to the Horizon was ultimately presented as the Peugeot 309.

What's a Talbot?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Talbot is a very famous french marque, which participated in many races both before and after the war. The company faltered in 1957. Simca/Chrysler decided to revive the name in the late seventies.
    Talbot was a respected name in the automobile industry in both France and England.

In the late 1950's Simca was enjoying great success and profit and purchased Ford SAF (in return for Ford maintaining control of approximately 15% of Simca's shares, which they probably most certainly didn't want!), Unic and Talbot.

Shortly thereafter, Chrysler Corporation purchased Fords interest in Simca, and continued to increase it's ownership until 1967, when Chrysler was a majority owner and ultimately in 1970, when the company name changed from Simca to Chrysler France. Similar actions took place in England, and the Rootes Group became Chrysler UK.

Chrysler launched many successful models during the 70s, such as the Chrysler Simca 1307, Chrysler Simca Horizon and Matra-Simca Bagheera. They also launched a few duds, the Chrysler 160/180/2L comes to mind. To some extent, you could say the launch of the Chrysler Alpine in the UK was a bit of a failure, simply because hatchback cars were notoriously bad sellers in that mainstream segment in the UK.

It could be said that Chryslers European operations were fairly stable and profitable... well, let's say not disasterous, considering the appalling economic and union situations in England and the (perhaps undeserved) eputation that Simca was earning in France as being somewhat behind in modern powertrain technology.

Eventually, Chrysler Corp had to dump everything and concentrate on their North American Operations. In 1978, Chrysler Europe was sold to Peugeot (after a CONSIDERABLE amount of time - the French government did not want the operations sold to "foreigners", Renault was in no position to buy them, since it had just purchased American Motors and there was no free money, and Peugeot had just acquired Citroen a few years earlier! Chryslers other overseas operations (primarily in South America) were mostly sold to Volkswagen!

Peugeot decided to revive the Talbot name for it's newly acquired company, and in a short time, the Chrysler name disappeared from the cars (although the pentastar remained on some models for years!) and the Simca name was revived, and many models would be badged "Talbot" on the front and "Simca" on the rear!

Already in development at the time of that takeover were the British Sunbeam (to replace the Simca 1000 at the bottom of the line-up) and the French Solara (sedan version of the 1307) and the "C9", meant to replace the VERY slow selling Chrysler 2L. The Talbot-Simca-Sunbeam was introduced in 1978, and the Talbot Solara and Talbot-Matra Murena in 1980. The Talbot Tagora (C9) was launched in 1982 after a lot of negotiations within Peugeot, and the Peugeot 104-based Talbot Samba hit the market around the same time, and was the last new car to be badged "Talbot". Most of the rest of the model range, the Simca 1100, Horizon, Matra Rancho and British Avenger were rebaptised Talbot's, too.

Eventually, Peugeot-Talbot's efforts to reorganize and downsize resulted in a very unstable reputation for Talbot models, and although they were perfectly capable vehicles, sales faultered all through the 80s until all the Talbot models were allowed to die off until the last Solara, in 1987. The last Talbot designed, meant to replace the Talbot Horizon, was launched instead as the Peugeot 309, which explains why the frumpy 309 looks so different from the elegant Peugeots of that time.

As you can see, it is very difficult and complicated to provide the Reader's Digest version of the Simca-Rootes-Chrysler-Talbot story!

http://hometown.aol.com/simcamaniac/Simcaindex.html

Talbot Tagora #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 04-10-2020 at 12:32 AM. Reason: removed the Solara
    Respect is everything!

Talbot Tagora Photos

fyi, the last photo, the left side profile view is not a Talbot Tagora, but the smaller Talbot Solara.

Thread Information