Thread: A Russian Icon, the GAZ21

A Russian Icon, the GAZ21

A Russian Icon, the Gaz 21

No car stands more out as being representative for Russia post-war automobile construction as the GAZ 21, more commonly known as the Volga. It was launched in 1956 as the successor of the GAZ 20 Pobeda, as fast back sedan, copied from a late forties Ford design, also much resembling the Volvo PV444.

The Volga was a typical three box sedan, with a roomy interior and clearly laid out for a comfortable ride, which went slightly to the expense of handling. Suspension was independent at the front and a leaf sprung axle was mounted at the rear. The whole package had a rather wallowing ride, but it was never designed as a racing car.

The engine was a 2.4 litre four pot, which initially produced 65 BHP and later on 80 BHP was that could be extracted from the block. The car has three speed manual column shifter, with only second and third gear being synchronised.

Production lasted to 1970 and almost 640000 examples were made. Although outwardly very similar, over the years small changes were applied to the model, allowing each vintage to be recognised.

The Volga has reached classic car status in Russia and the former republics of the Soviet Union. Many original examples have been painstakingly restored, and command prices up to 10,000 US$. Nevertheless many old ones can still be seen on the roads, even in use as taxis or by old farmers. The car was very strongly built and is relatively easy to maintain.

Shown here is a 1968 example, owned by s Swiss expat, stationed in Dushanbe, the capital of Tajikistan. He bought the car last year and plans to take it back home when his time there is up. The car is fully original, except for the side mirrors and the tyres. In the interest of road-holding the owner fitted 195 size Continental Radials.
    There is also a hazy shot of an example taken at the road along Laky-Issykul in Kyrgyzstan and showing that they are still going really strong.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

continued
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    A Russian Icon, the Gaz 21
    Great pics! My grandfather had two of those, great cars. It is russian ikon for sure!

Yes! M21 is great... Icon is a right word.

Old'n rusty but still handsome.

any facts about gaz23 with "chaika" engine?

Quote Originally Posted by GOLEO
    any facts about gaz23 with "chaika" engine?
    See USSR's cars thread. Also see http://www.gaz21volga.com/.

Thread Information