Thread: Borgward Isabella

Borgward Isabella

Borgward Isabella

Carl Borgward was born at the end of the 19th century and started building cars when he took over the Hansa factory in 1931. He was somewhat of a genius, both technical and commercial. He started producing the Hansa 1100 a very popular pre-war car. However, the Borgward factory also did not escape the Allied bombings during the second world war. It was fully destroyed, but Borgward was not down yet. After release from arrest in 1948 he started to rebuild his works and he launched the Hansa 1500 an upper middle class car. At the same time he started making small cars for the masses, like the Lloyds and Goliaths.

Arguably his most well known car was launched in 1954. The Isabella was a two door saloon, with a relatively capable 1500 cc engine and a modern all independent suspension, with swing axles at the rear. When production stopped in 1962 over 200000 examples were made.

During its live, many versions became available, the most sought after being the Coupe and the Cabriolet derived from that. A very elegant body style, matched with a souped-up 75 BHP version of the engine, it was capable of doing 150 kph at ease. Also a two door station wagon was available. The factory folded in 1962, after the launch of the big P100 4-door limousine (the first German car with air suspension) proved too much of a financial strain. Efforts to continue production in Mexico had only a limited success. Borgward died from a heart-attack in 1963, on the ruins (Financial this time) of his factory.

Shown are a Coupe, a Coupe/Cabriolet and a rare Cabriolet version of the sedan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Here is another picture. It was taken with a "normal" camera and later scanned. The picture was taken on the "Concours d'elegance Paleis het Loo" in 2004.

Also take a close look at the cars in the backgound An Iso Grifo,a Bizzarini 3500 GT and a Lamborghini Miura and various others

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Also take a close look at the cars in the backgound An Iso Grifo,a Bizzarini 3500 GT and a Lamborghini Miura and various others
    thanks, same car, same background as in one of my pics. How can that be?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Some of my pics...
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Some more...
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Techno Classica 2005
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

they were built in Bremen, 10min form my hometown.
    Got a two-tone silver Isabella Coupé 1:18 diecast.

great cars were posted here the last weeks. keep them coming please and thanks

What beautiful cars-drakkie-the colour in your pic is absolutely stunning.
    (Maybe it's because it's the colour of the Jag, I don't know, but I find it particularily attractive )
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    What beautiful cars-drakkie-the colour in your pic is absolutely stunning.
    (Maybe it's because it's the colour of the Jag, I don't know, but I find it particularily attractive )
    for the real colours, see post #1, pic#3

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Still looks brilliant (pun not intended).

That same colour made my dad's 300M look great, as well.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    see the difference between (very cheap) normal camera's and very expenisve pro-equipment

edit: also see the difference between VIP-tickets and normal

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    see the difference between (very cheap) normal camera's and very expenisve pro-equipment

edit: also see the difference between VIP-tickets and normal
    this pic was taken with the "cheapo" Sony DSC. And we got in without paying anything....

Thread Information