Thread: Triumph Italia

Triumph Italia

Triumph Italia

In 1959 Triumph asked Michelotti to design a special body for the TR3, which was subsequently built by Vignale. Interestingly the body already has some characteristics of the TR4, also designed by Michelotti. The mechanics are pure TR3, with a two litre 100 bph four cylinder, giving a top-speed of about 180 kph.

Initially the car sold very well (in relative terms) especially in Italy. When production ceased in 1963 in total 329 examples were made. Although a very interesting subject which may find a number of dedicated followers, restoring one is a nightmare. All parts for each individual car were number, but the hand-made construction means that hardly any part is the same. There are diehards who manage to get a properly restored car, and one such an example was shown at the Concours d’Elegance at Het Loo, by a proud but exasperated owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Here's two more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dracu777; 10-27-2005 at 07:30 AM.

If someone is interested this a link to my car.

http://wpop16.libero.it/ps3-2/ps/Mai...=massimozanasi

Greetings from Italy.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxthedoc View Post
    If someone is interested this a link to my car.

http://wpop16.libero.it/ps3-2/ps/Mai...=massimozanasi

Greetings from Italy.
    Max
    Hi Max,

Nice car, nice pictures, did the Italia bug already strike with your father then? Has your car been in the family for all its life?

Pieter
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hi Pieter,
    we had an Italia in the '60 and I've started to search it some years ago. No chances to find the original one, but I've found another in poor mechanical conditions that I completely restored. For a better result, I've searched and found the first owner, still living and in good conditions. He helped me with old photos and many informations about the car.
    If I don't think about the great amount of money and time that are gone, I'm really satisfied.
    Ciao, Max.

Hi Pieter,
    we had an Italia in the '60 and I've started to search it some years ago. No chances to find the original one, but I've found another in poor mechanical conditions that I completely restored. For a better result, I've searched and found the first owner, still living and in good conditions. He helped me with old photos and many informations about the car.
    If I don't think about the great amount of money and time that are gone, I'm really satisfied.
    Ciao, Max.
    it looks very good, and you may possibly have had the same problems as the owner of the first car in this thread, whom I talked with for a while when shooting his car.

I think you've spoken to Mr. Hutchinson, I've checked my data base.
    His red car #194 is one of the best restored I ever seen, but I think he has now sold his car. Maybe his experence was too hard.
    Ciao.
    Max

I think you've spoken to Mr. Hutchinson, I've checked my data base.
    His red car #194 is one of the best restored I ever seen, but I think he has now sold his car. Maybe his experence was too hard.
    Ciao.
    Max
    Actually no, I spoke with the owner of the silver car, he is Dutch.
    And I got some pictures of a silver one that came to the Quail Lodge, last year.

Mistake.
    The red car is in the second thread.
    Where have you met the owner of the silver Italia?
    Bye.

Mistake.
    The red car is in the second thread.
    Where have you met the owner of the silver Italia?
    Bye.
    see post #1 in this thread

Thread Information