Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes W111 Coupe

Mercedes W111 Coupe

The new “Tailfin” S-Class Mercedes was presented in 1959 and as was the case with its predecessor a Coupe and Cabriolet version saw the light a little bit later.

The Coupes and Cabriolet were only available with the 2.2 litre SE engine, a very smoth unit with seven main bearings and indirect fuel injection. Underneath the body the W111 was little different, with fully independent suspension, the rear axle consisting of two swing axles, which were good for the ride but not the ultimate solution in road holding during vivid cornering.

The Coupe and the Cabriolet were extremely high priced, but still found many buyers, not in the least because of their very elegant lines.

The same body style was maintained over the years while the engine grew via 2.5 to 2.8 litre, while the even more expensive 300 SE version was about the most desirable car you could find in Germany in the sixties.

Even when the new S-Class was presented in 1965, the old style coupes were kept in production and benefited from the technical progress in the rear suspension, which had swing axles that pivoted around one point (Eingelenk Pendelasche) and reduced the swing radius of both wheels. (It took some convincing before Mercedes finally adopted a BMW type rear suspension).

Also new as the 3.5 litre V8 that turned the Coupe into a real grand tourer on the motorways. It was the first version that could reach 200 kph.

Some production figures:
    220 SE Coupe/Cabriolet: 16902
    250 SE Coupe/Cabriolet: 6213
    280 SE Coupe Cabriolet: 5187
    300 SE Coupe/Cabriolet: 3127
    3.5 V8 Coupe/Cabriolet: 4502

The final year of production was 1971. Today these cars command high prices, because of their elegance, and their durability. Maintenance is still not the cheapest aspect of Mercedes ownership though

Shown are a 220 SE Coupe at the Concours D’Europe in Schwetzingen and a 250 SE Cabriolet at a fuel station in France, earlier this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 11-02-2005 at 02:13 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

here are two pics of a 300 SE, I apologise for the Cayenne to the left
    Venue: Zolder 2003
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The new “Tailfin” S-Class Mercedes was presented in 1959
    Gosh, this car is beautiful, simply gorgeous.

Here 2 pics of a 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet

Why can't more aerodynamically efficient cars look this graceful...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

That black coupe is sex on wheels.

i must be missing the mercedes worshiping geneome..

i dont see anything particularly spactacular in the design
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

such a beautiful car

Mercedes w111 stainless steel bumper

Mercedes W111 bumper is made of 100 % high stainless steel grade 304 thickness 1.5mmm and hand polished, high mirror polish, just like chrome and never rust. Back of bumper have 3 coats of paint smoothly.

thats realy the small princese from all the time.... das sombody know more from this cars?? i have 3 mercedes but naw i want to buy an w111 coupe afther i saw one in paris i get in love... whats the best one to buy and why?? witch one is going to make more money wen i sell it afther some years??
    Last edited by bchelandim; 03-28-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Gorgeous. I have long lusted after the 280SE coupé but for some reason I never realised there was a 300SE coupé as well. I thought they were all 280SE after 1967 regardless of engine, hence the 3.5.

Mercedes C111 wanted

Hi Henk, I am trying to locate a Merc C111 with the 4 rotor Wankel engine. Any idea where I could locate one, preferably RHD.

Wanted, Mercedes C111 4 rotor Wankel engine, right hand drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Orbell View Post
    Wanted, Mercedes C111 4 rotor Wankel engine, right hand drive.
    Try the Mercedes museum, but doubt they'll sell it let alone revise it to RHD... it was a concept & test car only, never mass produced.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I have a 65 220seb coupe project that I have just aging like fine wine. I hope to get the restoration going this fall.Any tips on where to find tech info on these beautiful last of the handbuilt coupes? Mine actually has a later 2.8L installed in it, I'm guessing some previous owner either just wanted more power or the original 2.2L died at some point. It is fuel injected and I really want to know what to look for or do before I try starting it up. I mean I am a car guy and know the basics about bringing back classics like draining fuel tank, oiling up cylinders etc, but I need more tech info on these early fuel injection systems. I have some period-correct Chiltons and Glenns books and manuals that cover these systems but I would really like some tips from someone with hands on experience with these fuel systems or route me to some info. The car has been sitting at least 8 years without it being run. I also have other classics, bimmers, air cooled vw's, 64 Buick rivi, Porsche, so I am pretty knowledgeable and have plenty of tools and access to many more tools. Most importantly I have the desire to learn more about these early fuel injection systems.
    Great site and forum , glad I joined,
    Thank you for any tips or info beforehand.
    T.Novo

Thread Information