Thread: Opel Kapitaen 1958-59

Opel Kapitaen 1958-59

Opel Kapitan 1958-1959

The Kapitaen was Opel’s post-war top car until 1964, when the names Admiral and Diplomat were rived.
    The Kapitaens were comfortable 4 door sedans, with absolutely no progressive elements, but a neat package designed for doing the job. No pretences, low costs.
    The first model appeared in 1948 and subsequent models appeared with 2-3 years intervals.
    The 1958 model was a radical (outward) change compared to its predecessor, with panoramic windshield and rear window, however resulting in a low roof line and smaller rear doors than usual. It was not a success and the model was kept in production for only one year, with only less than 35,000 examples being produced.

This has resulted into a sort of revival of demand just for this type, one example is shown here presented at the 2003 Essen Technoclassica
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Is this the one with the "keyhole"-rearlights? Need to know to post the right pics.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    Is this the one with the "keyhole"-rearlights? Need to know to post the right pics.
    yep, I hope you have a pic of those
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Yeah, I have For my just 21 years I have seen many cars I think

"2000 km durch Deutschland", Nordkirchen, Germany, 2005 (there were two of them at one day the car with the red "GG" license is the car of the vice-chief of AutoBild, some may know the magazine, I worked for them this summer)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by netburner; 10-30-2005 at 01:39 PM.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    Yeah, I have For my just 21 ages I have seen many cars I think

"2000 km durch Deutschland", Nordkirchen, Germany, 2005 (there were two of them at one day the car with the red "GG" license is the car of the vice-chief of AutoBild, some may know the magazine, I worked for them this summer)
    thanks a lot. I will post some more Opels another time....

Can you remember another european company so widely using american aerostyle skills in its models? I think, Opel was 'the leader' at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Can you remember another european company so widely using american aerostyle skills in its models? I think, Opel was 'the leader' at this point.
    no wonder, as Opel was and still is part of General Motors

Thread Information