Thread: Panhard CD 1964

Panhard CD 1964

Panhard-CD 1964

The CD engaged for the 1964 LeMans was a revolutionary racing car. For the first time ever a rear diffusor was applied and the car already had ground effect features, that Colin Champman was to apply much later.
    The roadholding of this tiny machine was spectacular, and stability increased with speed.

The engine was a tweaked version of the Panhard flat twin, producing about 70 BHP out of 848 cc. The car was fitted with a Rootes supercharger and a 5 speed box, driving the front wheels. The remarkable aerodynamics of the car allowed a speed of 225 kph. The objective for CD was to win the performance index at LeMans, which has always been of great importance to any French manufacturer. The recalculated capacity of the engine was 1184 cc, applying the i.4 factor used by ACO. Unfortunately both cars entered never made it to the finish, although for the race the engine was detuned to only 64 BHP.

Shown are the 1964 participants, as presented at Retromobile in 2005.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The road version of Panhard CD is one of my absolute favourites.
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

If interesting by the design study, the CDs were not successful in racing.

Charles Deutch tried other engines than Panhard, such as DKW and Alfa Romeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert1 View Post
    If interesting by the design study, the CDs were not successful in racing.

Charles Deutch tried other engines than Panhard, such as DKW and Alfa Romeo.
    welcome to UCP, also used was a Citroen engine, before the Panhard age.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

herewith some shots of the Road going version, that did participate in the 2008 LeMans Classic. Really looks like a comfy suspension

and a couple from the CD Panhard club also at the Le Mans Classic.

Thanks Henk.
    It´s such a wonderfully odd car. You just have to love it.

EDIT: Very nice pictures by the way.
    Last edited by MartB; 08-08-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

Quote Originally Posted by MartB View Post
    ...[bigger pic below]...

Am I correct in saying that this car has quarter-elliptic leaves in back and a transverse leafspring in front? Surely the front-drive was cutting edge at its time, but isn't 1962 a little late for such a suspension setup anywhere, much less in a sportyish European car?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

Am I correct in saying that this car has quarter-elliptic leaves in back and a transverse leafspring in front? Surely the front-drive was cutting edge at its time, but isn't 1962 a little late for such a suspension setup anywhere, much less in a sportyish European car?
    this was not really a sports car, it was quite slippery meaning that you could reach relatively high speeds on the straights, (CW value anyone?), but cornering was not its strong point. And for what it is worth the Corvette is still famous for its transverse leaf spring...

Thread Information