Thread: Honda S800

Honda S800

In the early 1960'5, Honda began venturing into the world of four wheeled vehicles after it had received ovations in the manufacture of motorcycles. The history of Honda's legendary "S" sports car series started in 1962, when they unveiled their prototype S360 and S500 motorcars in a Japanese motor show. Since then, the "S" series established an unrivaled reputation in the Japanese sports car category during the 60's. the top-of-line S800 debuted in 1965 motor show and appeared on the markets in January of the following year, on Roadster and Coupe shapes. Although its water cooled DOHC engine had only 791cc of displacement, it could rev up to 8.500 rpm smoothly. This high rewing engine was capable of yielding 70 horsepower, propelling the light-weight 710kg vehicle up to 160km/h. This compact and stylish, high performance sports car immediately caught the attention of motor enthusiasts, not only in Japan but also in the United States. The Honda S800 was also very active in the racing circuits. Even today, the popularity and fame of this Japanese vintage sports car has never diminished.
    A total of 11,536 S800s were produced between 1966 and 1970

Here are 2 examples displayed at Porto Autoclįssico Show this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

here are 2 nice photos of the engine, taken by Henk4 at Interclassics 2005, Maastricht.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

japanese muscle?
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    japanese muscle?
    one at least...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Sato and Button in a S800. I took this pic during the french gp

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    Sato and Button in a S800. I took this pic during the french gp
    thanks, that is a great one
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You know the drill, I love digging up old threads if I find relevant videos of them.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMSB5rIHWOY"]Honda S800 RSC (1968) @ Twin Ring Motegi , 11 July 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

As a "newby" to UCP I was browsing and happened upon McReis' post of 2005 re the Honda S800 - and immediately had waves of nostalgia flooding over me. The red car in his post could have been my very own - of only the steering wheel was on the other side! Then - to make matters worse - I opened the video posted by NSXType-R and was transported back in time to my own S800 howling down the back straight of our local track. The music made by that little 800 cc motor exhaling at almost 9,000 r.p.m. thru' twin open pipes is something to be experienced. Nostalgia is a bitch, isn't she! PS: I also, like McReis, today drive an MX-5 and consider this to be simply the best sports car ever.

welcome MX, the S800 is indeed a terrific sound, we once saw a couple being raced at Spa, and it is treat to hear them on full song going up the Raidillon.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmex5 View Post
    As a "newby" to UCP I was browsing and happened upon McReis' post of 2005 re the Honda S800 - and immediately had waves of nostalgia flooding over me. The red car in his post could have been my very own - of only the steering wheel was on the other side! Then - to make matters worse - I opened the video posted by NSXType-R and was transported back in time to my own S800 howling down the back straight of our local track. The music made by that little 800 cc motor exhaling at almost 9,000 r.p.m. thru' twin open pipes is something to be experienced. Nostalgia is a bitch, isn't she! PS: I also, like McReis, today drive an MX-5 and consider this to be simply the best sports car ever.
    I'm glad I made your day with that video!

Enjoy the forums!

this is one of my fav car

Remembering My Dad

My dad's lovely car. I always keep this car everyday in front of my garage in Bali. Each of my customer husband truly likes this classic car.
    May be some of you can meet this lucky red one when you travel to Bali.
    Thank you & see you here guys.
    Last edited by henk4; 11-13-2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spam link deleted,

Thread Information